Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five dead after racing crash at runway

FLORIDA TODAY

According to a preliminary Florida Highway Patrol investigation, a 2008 gray BMW with five occupants, ages 18 to 20, was traveling at a high speed on the airstrip.

Five young men are dead after a car they were riding in crashed after traveling off an airport runway at the exclusive “fly-in” community of Jumbolair Aviation Estates early Saturday, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

The crash at the community, which is also the home of actor John Travolta, happened at about 3:45 a.m. According to a preliminary Florida Highway Patrol investigation, a 2008 gray BMW with five occupants, ages 18 to 20, was traveling at a high speed on the airstrip.

As it neared the end of the runway, the car skidded and traveled off the end of an 85-foot high embankment, became airborne for 200 feet and struck a large tree.

At impact, the vehicle split in half and the car’s engine separated from the vehicle, scattering pieces of the car over about a 200 square foot area. Three of the five occupants were ejected from the vehicle and all were pronounced dead at the scene, according to Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. Mike Burroughs said.

The victims have been identified as Joshua D. Ammirato, 18, of Fairfield, who was identified as the driver of the $75,000 car; Dustin J. Dawe, 19, also of Fairfield; James Devon Hime, 19, of Anthony; and Jacob James Casey, 19 and Isaac Rubin, 20, both of Ocala. It was not clear if any of the men lived within the gated community.

Four of the men were former students at North Marion High School, where they were members of the wrestling team. Casey graduated from Trinity High School, where he played football. He went on to play football for Jacksonville University.

“There is no doubt this is a terrible tragedy. They should not have been out there,” Burroughs said.

“They were all good students. They all had good personalities and a lot of friends,” said Kathy Quelland, North Marion principal. “We saw them grow up over four years.”

Dawe was known as “Smiley,” she said.

Troopers were still investigating the accident Saturday, and Burroughs said it had not been determined if the young men were wearing seatbelts, how fast the car was going and whether alcohol was involved.

“It is too early to determine if alcohol was involved. There was no visible signs of it,” said Burroughs, who said troopers will await the results of autopsies.

Investigators did not know at this time whether the vehicle was speeding or racing another car.

A telephone listing for Jumbolair rang unanswered on Saturday, and an e-mail sent by The Associated Press to an address listed on the community’s Web site was not immediately returned.

At the black iron gate of the exclusive community, a reporter was asked to leave and told over an intercom that no one was available to talk about the accident.

Jeremy Thayer, co-owner of Jumbolair Aviation Estates, did not return a call to this home phone.

A community memorial and candlelight vigil will be held at 6 p.m. Monday in Ocala.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080126/BREAKINGNEWS/80126007/1086

Too much money and not enough brains...

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Gotta wonder what they were doing

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Man, there is nothing left of the car, probably wasn't much left of the people either!

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Man, there is nothing left of the car, probably wasn't much left of the people either!
They couldn't even tell if they were wearing their seatbelts or not. Makes the imigination run wild as to what the corpses looked like.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Am I the only one, if you click the link..2 of the pictures.. I swear I see a black man and a white leg..? The 2nd one I think, I swear I see a black guy. And I think 4th pic it looks like a white arm or leg?????????!

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
What fourth pic? I only see 3.
In the second pic you can see the damage to the tree where the car hit and with the car behind the tree and an emergancy dude to the right, at head level the tree has a pretty big blood splatter stain.
I'm guessing it was about 10 seconds of shear terror.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it totally insensitive to wonder why they will hold a memorial ceremony for someone who was being retarded?

·
Back in Action
6,587 Posts
Is it totally insensitive to wonder why they will hold a memorial ceremony for someone who was being retarded?
yea they should. kids will be kids! thy had friends.

Have u ever lost a close friend? i know i did, getting the fone call at 2 in the morning. one of my best friends was "passing" his friend(i guarentee it was racing) slipped on black ice. wrapped the car around a tree, killed him self. launched his friend out(he was fine) and his GF was in ITU for 4 months(better now)

he was being stupid(no drugs or alcohol involved), but he had friends

The kids in the story were prolly good kids with lots a friends

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea they should. kids will be kids! thy had friends.

Have u ever lost a close friend? i know i did, getting the fone call at 2 in the morning. one of my best friends was "passing" his friend(i guarentee it was racing) slipped on black ice. wrapped the car around a tree, killed him self. launched his friend out(he was fine) and his GF was in ITU for 4 months(better now)

he was being stupid(no drugs or alcohol involved), but he had friends

The kids in the story were prolly good kids with lots a friends
True, I suppose others dude need closure. Thats why I asked.

Still doesn't change the fact that they were a bunch of morons....

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
IMO, it's not insensitive at all.

You do stupid shit illegally, and whatever comes of it is what you deserve. Racing down a runway is most definitely one of those situations.

Gene pool cleansing.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMO, it's not insensitive at all.

You do stupid shit illegally, and whatever comes of it is what you deserve. Racing down a runway is most definitely one of those situations.

Gene pool cleansing.
Thanks but it still doesn't change the fact that I am a sarcastic a$$hole at heart :toothless :beer

·
Registered
832 Posts
something like this happened when i was in hs. a kid was racing and he hit a tree. he lived and the passenger died. i think they deserve a memorial because there were people out there that did care about them whether they were stupid or not.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thats sad and all. But who in the hell in there right mind would let there kid go off in a $75000 car. I mean they are kid they can't resist temptation. Rant over.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
A memorial? If you mean a gathering to remember a loved one and get closer with others who share your grief, sure, even an idiot deserves that, but if by a memorial you and others feel erecting a cross at the location where it happened...f*ck that!!!!!

Why would anyone want a permanent reminder of how a group of kids died needlessly. There are too many of those where I live. Like the one that is on the way to my work. I found this guy who had just rolled his car into the ditch. It was night and I saw the headlights do some funky things then vanish. Anyways, he wasn't wearing a seat belt and ended up under the hatchback of his car. I tried to save him, but I couldn't move the car even if he was alive at the time I got there.

He died because he was speeding and I did not like the daily reminder of how I could have saved this moron if he had only worn his seat belt. I would not want to remember my loved ones that way and I care even less to be reminded of some idiots death.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts