Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '88 Bronco with the 300 six and the 5 speed, and a '92 Bronco with the 351 auto, I want to swap the 351, doors and front clip from the '92(no title) to the '88. What flywheel do I need to buy? I think I'll use the axles from my '78 Bronco on the '88, and the axles from my '79 F-350 in the '78 Bronco with the 460 and C-6 from another old truck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
advance auto parts part #50-735 for 351w the flywheel is diffrend between a 351 and 300

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you putting the 351 with the 5 speed? I'm no expert, but Ford didn't use the M5OD with the 351. Maybe it doesn't matter...

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
M5OD is kinda weak and failure prone behind the 302.

The extra torque from the 351 won't make it happy. Add in big tires+off road driving and a ZF will likely be in your future.

That said, the M5OD will probably be fine for regular driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda lucked out with the '88. I got it from the original owner who special ordered it with all kinds of cool upgrades, including the ZF. He told me that his sister who works for Ford is one of the people on the assembly line who built it. Not sure if I care if it is true or not, but it is a cool story. Besides, for only $150 for the Bronco how can I go wrong. The '92 donor Bronco was only $200.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With your input, I got a new flywheel for a whopping $68. I'll be taking pics, and log the build. I am currently working on three Broncos, combining the '88 and '92, the other '92 EB, and a '78.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I kinda lucked out with the '88. I got it from the original owner who special ordered it with all kinds of cool upgrades, including the ZF. He told me that his sister who works for Ford is one of the people on the assembly line who built it. Not sure if I care if it is true or not, but it is a cool story. Besides, for only $150 for the Bronco how can I go wrong. The '92 donor Bronco was only $200.
Not that it matters but I seriously don't think you have the ZF5. They only came in f250/f350.

Does it look like this? It is easy to spot with two PTO ports. The M5OD has none.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
:stupid:

ZF5s are kinda hard to come by, even in 250/350s...never offered in 150s. Betting yours is all one piece alumninum...picture above is what a zf5 looks like. Your tranny will be a M5od-r2 tranny...

As for the 351 vs 302 power...eh, mild upgrades to a 302 would make about the same amount of power, but don't expect the trans to last to long...they are weak, even for daily driving IMO/IME.

KC

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to throw it out there, If anyone is looking for a zf5 for a SBF, I have one for sale in MD 20905. 128k on it, 89 f-250 personal truck, 4x4, resurfaced flywheel, pedal assembly, master & slave, shifter/boot, floor pan. PM me, sorry, I've been on FSB with another account since ~06, forgot the account, and I don't have enough posts for the classifieds section.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, now I know what to look at/for. So when I get started I'll be able to tell if I indeed have the good trans, or not. Thanks for the solid info guys. I guess I can always use a NP435 if I feel the need for a stick. This Bronco is just going to be a toy, not an everyday driver, so I don't need an overdrive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to convert a 2WD ZF5 to 4WD? Can you use the transfer case from an M5OD?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts