Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I find myself in need of a new clutch and possible trans in my 96 Bronco XL. The clutch is chattering and it has been harder to shift into 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I think thats syncro's in the trans it's self.
Now that being said what trans would you prefer in your trucks. I don't do alot of towing or off roading but i would still like some input. Would you stick with the 5 speed or upgrade to a Auto trans. I have a parts truck i can remove all the parts from. I'm not fond of the 5-speed but i can live it. Thanks guys:beer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont consider an auto an upgrade personally
lol. It is when you drive an XL with no cup holders lol. I knows it not an upgrade but it's something. My wife is saying Auto but what does she know. If it was a mustang the 5-speed would be a no brainer. I'm looking to do some off roads later in life but just not right now. Would the 5-speed work or would the auto be better. It's getting lifted right now and some 33's. Some people i talk to outside of here say stay with the 5-speed becuse they say it's rare to see a 5-speed bronco. I just think there blowing smoke up my butt.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Stay with the 5-speed. It is probably also hard to get into gear because of the clutch acting up, not due to the transmission. I noticed some of this as my clutch started to go out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stay with the 5-speed. It is probably also hard to get into gear because of the clutch acting up, not due to the transmission. I noticed some of this as my clutch started to go out.
What tough said.

When your manual does actually go, swap in a zf5, which can be found in f250 and 350s. It is considered a heavy duty manual, the one currently in the bronco is considered a light duty.
Thanks guys:beer So what I'm gathering is if this was your truck you would upgrade with a 250 or 350 5-speed and stay away from the auto? I'm like the doctor that worked on the million dollar man. I can fix it, make it better. Just wanted to know if the auto had any advantages over a 5-speed.

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
zf5 all day long, IMHO autos suck when mine goes again im goin to swap in a zf5, i learned on a 5-speed and love em personally, autos are no fun to drive

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
The M5OD in your truck is a crap transmission that works fine in a Ranger, but not a 5500lb fullsize.

The ZF5 offered in the 3/4t and 1ton trucks is a great transmission. I've got one in my F250, and it's a fun truck to drive.

That said, I like my E4OD in my bronco... a lot. Better for wheeling, towing, pretty much everything.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The M5OD in your truck is a crap transmission that works fine in a Ranger, but not a 5500lb fullsize.

The ZF5 offered in the 3/4t and 1ton trucks is a great transmission. I've got one in my F250, and it's a fun truck to drive.

That said, I like my E4OD in my bronco... a lot. Better for wheeling, towing, pretty much everything.
There is nothing wrong with the M5OD...

Yeah, it may not have the highest pound rating when it comes to towing, but you shouldn't be towing all that much with a Bronco anyway. Towing anything significant with a short wheelbase is a no no.

·
Premium Member
7,410 Posts
I just swapped a manual for my automatic, however...I wouldn't swap your transmission for a ZF5 just yet. There's no reason to. The M5OD isn't exactly bulletproof, but you aren't asking it to do anything harsh either.

I vote for just replacing your clutch...and hydraulic slave cylinder while you have the transmission out of the truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That said, I like my E4OD in my bronco... a lot. Better for wheeling, towing, pretty much everything.[/QUOTE]

Thats what i'm talking about. Just the ease of everyday life. The wife could drive it. I could roll down the road and drink a soda, Plus i drive a 13 speed eaton/fuller trans 3000 miles a week. It's really the last thing i wanta do after work is shift more. I have a doner truck and all the parts. Just torn on what to do. I wanta be lazy but at the same time why build or change something if it's just going to be weaker then what was there in the 1st place. After now knowing what i have learned i think it's time to look for a 250 doner truck.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I vote to stay with the manual trans. Just replace the clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced at the same time. Alot of the time the chatering is due to a glazed flywheel and just replacing the clutch will not fix the chatering and will cause the new clutch to wear out faster.

I like a auto trans for a DD hands down. But for wheeling I perfur the manual with the right gearing of course. Theres nothing like droping into Low Gear and crawling down hills without useing the brakes!! Also its nice to push start your rig when the starter goes out, been there!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just swapped a manual for my automatic, however...I wouldn't swap your transmission for a ZF5 just yet. There's no reason to. The M5OD isn't exactly bulletproof, but you aren't asking it to do anything harsh either.

I vote for just replacing your clutch...and hydraulic slave cylinder while you have the transmission out of the truck.
I understand what yours saying but! If i am going to just fix it I would like to upgrade now. You know how it starts. A little lift here, bigger tires and gears there. Maybe a hot engine in it later. 2 years from now i just don't wanta have to say "I should have done that back then" I wanta get back into wheeling again. I have some cool places around here for that. Silver lake sand dunes and the mounds. Plus all this farm land.

·
Registered
529 Posts
i have the m5od in my truck and yea the tranny has pretyty much had it as far as seals and sinkrows go but other then that it has been great, i am thinking about swaping for a zf5 because now im running a 6" lift with 36" iroks, so i think its good idea, if i was u and i was willing to do this i would just do that swap now instead of waiting and most likely doing it later, that is if u stick with a stick, i say u stick with the 5 speed by the way autos are boring and i have no problem offroad with my 5 speed

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
The e4od is a good transmission. As long as it has a big cooler and fresh fluid it can handle it.

The e4od was used behind the 7.3,460, 351, 302, 300, 330 (5.4). It is a heavy duty transmission.

I can hook you up with a cheap f250 parts truck. I was going to move to michigan and had some bookmarked. Saying that, I would get the zf5 rebuilt.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
You need a small block 4x4 zf5. Anything behind a 351, 300. Only manual behind a 351 was a zf5. 300 had m5od and the zf5. You already have the m5od.

http://jxn.craigslist.org/cto/804968329.html (SHOULD, have a zf5. double check the door sticker and look at the trans) I was actually going to buy this truck if it was still for sale.)

Model: ZF5
Type: Five speed heavyduty overdrive
Years: 87-99 F2/3/450/superduty
Engines: 300, 351, 460, 7.3
Fluid: Mercon
Display:
1.3.(D)
2.4.R
Ratios:
S5-42 (Diesel)
1st: 4.14
2nd: 2.37
3rd: 1.42
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.77
Reverse: 3.79

Offer him like 650 or 700, but 800 is still a good deal, if it is indeed a zf5. If the hubs extend out in the middle of the rear wheels. It is a full float 10.25. Keep that, you will want it in the future. Pull some parts off the d50 that can be used on the d44. Then sell the rest. Probably could sell the efi setup off the 300 and the t-case. Then some various parts people need. And scrap the rest. You will probably still get close to $400 or so in scrap weight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can hook you up with a cheap f250 parts truck. I was going to move to michigan and had some bookmarked. Saying that, I would get the zf5 rebuilt.[/QUOTE]

If your moving to Michigan bring it with you. With that being said. WTF are you doing moving to Michigan? Is it our great roads? No wait the awsome weather? No it has it be the mayor of detroit the Great Kwame Kilpatrick.:rockon

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.