Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I made the same swap. 95, 5.0 E4OD swaped to a ZF5.

I (at the direction of Ryan of Fordfuelinjection.com) used the T4M0 from a 94GT Mustang. I had to move a couple pins in the 60 pin connector, add a HEGO which the ZF5 harness has all the wires and connector and here we are 2 years later.

If I keep the 5.0 it will be getting the A9L from the earlier Stangs. The T4M0 has some goofy programing. It hangs the idle between gears to reduce emissions. PITA to drive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm going to be doing a similar swap, 1993 e40d to (mazda m5od I believe? that my buddy has sitting around from a 90 f150 I believe... Am I going to need to update the computer for that?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts

·
trying to go fast!!
1,083 Posts
i am looking to do the same thing so killing the neutral safety switch and we are all good to go? i have heard a lot of debate on it i have a T5 out of a early 80s stang looking for a way to do that or go with a ZF...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have it so i can run it but i cant use the 5 speed harness then so no reverse lights. it also seems ball less under 2500 rpm dint know if that is because of the auto computer. never drove it b4 swap bought it with bad trans. all i need is the number for the computer i need ill buy a re man one. thanks guys for all the input

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
it also seems ball less under 2500 rpm dint know if that is because
of the auto computer.
Hmmm... that 2500rpm number just came up reading ZF stuff over at
the "dark-side". Seemed like his was a problem above 2500rpm tho.

It was about not having the resistor installed to fool the auto-computer
the transmission was in neutral.

There's also talk of auto computers having a "hanging idle" too. I didn't
mess around, I swapped the computer over from the ZF parts truck. ;)

Alvin in AZ

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
I was just told over on the "dark side" that the resistor
is supposed to fix the hanging idle too, thinks it's sittin
still so no need to hold the rpms up for the next shift? :)
...or something like that. ;)

I hated that E4OD and how I'd let off the throttle just a
little and it'd make no difference. Let it up a little more
still no response. Let it up a little more then, -finally- a
friggin response but it'd act like I'd took my foot clean
off the throttle! :/ Gawd I hated that piece of crap! :)

Alvin in AZ

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
yes, get one for a '94-'96 5.0 with mass air and a manual tranny!
:stupid
Theres no rocket science here...
The computer should match your TYPE of truck, the YEAR and SIZE of engine, and the TYPE of transmission you install.
Sure, you can use Mustang computers, rewire the switches to "fool" the computer, etc, but why bother when the computer for your EXACT configuration already exists.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The computer should match your TYPE of truck, the YEAR and SIZE of engine, and the TYPE of transmission you install.
Sure, you can use Mustang computers, rewire the switches to "fool" the computer, etc, but why bother when the computer for your EXACT configuration already exists.
Some people don't like simple straight forward answers:banghead

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
anyone ever do this with a 351w?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a 351 and swapped to a ZF5. All I did was put a jumper wire in the transmission harness.

Here is a blurry picture, I plan to solder a wire behind the connector to keep it from falling out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
yes, get one for a '94-'96 5.0 with mass air and a manual tranny!

CLICKY
Some people don't like simple straight forward answers:banghead
Are you guys sure that the 94,95 and 96 ford trucks factory equiped with 5 spd manual transmissions were the same type of air metering??? ie MAF/ SD????

Pretty sure that 95 Ford trucks and Broncos equiped with the 5.0 and the
E4OD auto were ALL MAF systems. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The only (RUMORED) factory equiped 95 5.0 5spd MAF trucks were from California. Im not positive but if you did find or could order one they would need specific wiring modifications as well.

Options:
1. jumper factory AUTO harness.
2. Find Fabled California MAF 5.0 5spd ECU/ make wiring harness mods.
3. Use Stang ECU/ make wiring harness mods.
4. Convert truck over to SD, making wiring harness mods and using factory truck SD 5.0 5spd ECU.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts