Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be buying a 89 fullsize...it has a 5 speed and im wondering what kind it is?good or bad?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yes i owned a mazda 5 speed in a f150, no probs with durability with a mild built engine as long as you keep all the shifter rail plugs in and the other rubber plugs next to them..silicone every where around them, keep the atf in it and are good to go...i woul dcheck out the tranny fluid level before purchasing it if you are interested. i rebuilt mine when i bought my truck because of this prob....input shaft and cluster shaft (which was the two main shafts in the tranny) cost me 260$ and i put this all in myself....

there is also a highly desirable 5 speed ZF tranny....bulletproof is all i can say... to identify the trannies:
Mazda 5 speed = vertical and horizontal ribs
ZF 5 Speed = angled ribs...

goood luck :)

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
85f150 said:
there is also a highly desirable 5 speed ZF tranny....bulletproof is all i can say... to identify the trannies:
Mazda 5 speed = vertical and horizontal ribs
ZF 5 Speed = angled ribs...

goood luck :)
is the ZF 5 manual?? i have no idea on trannys or what the leters and #s mean except the E4OD and the AOD.. thanks

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
84brownbronco said:
yeah it didnt come in broncos but you can swap it in.
hmmm i have always wanted a manual...is it worth it and am i gonna have to change linkages for the transfer case and or transfer cases and does it mount up to the 351W???? this would eliminate the need for 2 computers when the 393W gets put in..... and how is its durability will it handle the HP and how about overall lasting for the clutch.....

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
From what I have gathered about the ZF... They have an integrated bellhousing, make sure you get one for a Windsor block... supposed to be as strong a trnny as there is... :shrug

Clutch longevity is hard to say. This really depends on the driver...

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
Tomh971 said:
From what I have gathered about the ZF... They have an integrated bellhousing, make sure you get one for a Windsor block... supposed to be as strong a trnny as there is... :shrug

Clutch longevity is hard to say. This really depends on the driver...
well i am now ouuta the ba((s to the wall 0-60 speed everywhere.. i finally sit back and enjoy the ride.... i mean i like my E4OD but it just doesnt have something to it.... i have driven the 6 speed that is in the 99 superdutys and wow i like it.... i like having a low gear to choose when towing and the good OD they have.... what are the gears that the ZF has??? just starting to think more about it because a manual tranny will aliviate some of the cost of the extra computers for the Stroker motor......cause the mustang computer dont like the E4OD it only likes the AOD or a manual......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts