Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago.
I've been running 50watt bulbs in my stock tail lights. It works great. here are the bulbs I buy:

The only problem I had was when I upgraded my brake lights too. I run a 2357 bulb for my brake lights. Which are 50watts too. So I had 200watts of light in the rear of my truck all on he original ground.
The fuel pump and fuel gauge share the same ground as the rear lights. So any time I'd hit the brake or revearse lights my gas gauge would drop. All that electricty wasn't made for such a small ground.

I solved this when I rewiried parts of my truck:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8103

I'll take pics of it at night later, too cold, too tired right now

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the truck at night:

Pretty good for just replacing the bulbs wit hbetter ones. Probably $5-$7 dollors total :thumbup

found the 50watt back up bulbs in the fog light section at Advanced Auto Parts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have emergency light system on my truck. (I'm a firefighter / paramedic ;) )
I've left the flashers on for 15-30 minutes with no problems :thumbup
My emergency flashers alternate the brake and back up lights 3X per second, back and forth.

·
Registered
102 Posts
what is the factory replacement wattage? I'm going by in an hour, got an Advance Auto about 6 blocks away. If they have them cheap I'll pick up a couple packs if anyone wants a set.....

does that bulb work in ALL bronco's? My 1986? (DUH! just looked...YOU have a 1986!!)

·
Registered
102 Posts
jsut got some but the store only had 3 bulbs and I got 2 for myself... they said they'd get in more next week if anyone really wants them bad. I haven't installed mine yet so I can't vouch for them yet. There are Advance Auto's all over the place though so I'm sure most of you can find them yourself. $2.50 ea..

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure those bulbs will work in the 1979-1996 Broncos.
But some trucks (like mine :( ) have bad wiring.

But I fixed all that and now have super bright ligts without mounting extra lights to the bumper or frame

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
The only problem I had was when I upgraded my brake lights too. I run a 2357 bulb for my brake lights. Which are 50watts too. So I had 200watts of light in the rear of my truck all on he original ground.
This problem shouldn't apply if we just replace the back-up lights right???

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem I had was when the brake lights and back up lights were on the gas gauge would drop. It's wasn't a "needs imediat attention" problem, just a problem. I lived with the problem for a year or more, just reciently went and rewires the back half of the truck.

I'm sure you could simply cut the ground wires behind thetail lights and ground them to the body in unde 30 minutes. I just had to do everything, cause I'm the "EFI guru" ;) can't half-ass electrical projects :banghead

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's that line from Mr Mom about voltage?

"220 221 what ever it takes"

:lolup

21watts 50watts what ever it takes :thumbup

·
Registered
102 Posts
when I went to swap in the 50watters I noticed I was filling empty sockets! I didn't previously have ANY bulbs in there....odd... also I had my girlfriend stand out back while I put it in reverse and they didn't light up. Sucks to be me...just fixxed my heater blower about 4 hours ago! :)

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
At some point, the bulb bases change from the old bayonnette base Fireguy is using to the newer black plastic base, sort of like a Christmas light bulb base. That PARTICULAR bulb (shown) won't fit the '92-96 sockets, but you could cut the socket off your truck and wire in some older ones pretty easily. The hole in the taillight is identical, so the old sockets fit the new taillights and then you could use that bulb.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Mr Mom was so funny

is that a .45?
ahh, .45 .46, whatever it takes

yeah im tearing out this wall, putting all new studs.
you going to use 2x4s?
2x4s 2x5s, whatever it takes

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
stangmata50l said:
So what your saying is that the reverse light sockets arn't 1156s?
Not on yours ('92-96). They changed the first digit to indicate the new style base, so yours is a 3156.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
what do you all think about the LED backup lights?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts