Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres the background, i have a 1996 f150 with a 5.0 and an automatic. the tranny case cracked and i need a new transmission. i have weighed the cost of a new 4r70w vs a 5speed swap and i could save about 500-1000 if i went 5 speed. now for the questions. i have the chance to pick up a 1990 bronco, 5.0(5k on motor), m5od(160k on tranny) for 800 to use as the donor. what parts could i use, and what would i have to buy? i know i would need a new pcm, or i would need to flash it. what are peoples opinions on the m5od? the truck is mostly a dd, with a little weekend wheeling, and i dont haul much. would you recommend waiting til i can find a donor with a zf-5? or is it not worth the extra strength? overall length of the 4r70 vs the m5od? anything else im not thinking of? thanks for any help, as i would like this to go as smoothly as possible when i get down to it.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
No personal experience but for the most part people don't like them and they are considered weak. If you had an m5od already it might be one thing but if you have to do the work for a swap I'd say go for a ZF5. I don't have a lot of experience (been working towards a ZF5 swap myself) but I'm pretty sure that's more or less what you'll hear/find around here.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,369 Posts
No personal experience but for the most part people don't like them and they are considered weak. If you had an m5od already it might be one thing but if you have to do the work for a swap I'd say go for a ZF5. I don't have a lot of experience (been working towards a ZF5 swap myself) but I'm pretty sure that's more or less what you'll hear/find around here.
Yup. If you are gunna do the work to convert it go ahead and do a ZF.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Like they said, and you won't be able to use much from the 90 anyway. you need a donar from the same year range, pedal assembly won't even fit. I'm right in the middle of my ZF swap now, man I would have loved to get my hands on that Bronco 2 months ago:banghead

·
Engineer
13,383 Posts
The pedals wont swap and the transmission would be vastly improved if you waited to find a ZF.

·
my bko ate my money
3,878 Posts
The pedals wont swap and the transmission would be vastly improved if you waited to find a ZF.
was the zf-5 a stock option in the BKOs or what???? what vehicle do you get a zf from???

·
Engineer
13,383 Posts
was the zf-5 a stock option in the BKOs or what???? what vehicle do you get a zf from???
88-97 F350 and possibly F250. Many of the trucks had the 300 I-6. The zf is an easy swap with the use of F-150 parts and a F350 flywheel.

·
my bko ate my money
3,878 Posts
88-97 F350 and possibly F250. Many of the trucks had the 300 I-6. The zf is an easy swap with the use of F-150 parts and a F350 flywheel.
cool shit....but i also herd to watch out for the plastic hydrolic clutch line, got any info on that man

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
cool shit....but i also herd to watch out for the plastic hydrolic clutch line, got any info on that man
get a metal one, i went through 3 of them in 2 weeks. i fabed mine up using some compression fittings and the ends off of the plastic line

·
my bko ate my money
3,878 Posts
thanks amw & todd i thought that plastic line would be a prob....ill prolly fab up a line from some stainless brake line, i think i can get a 3' or 4' length of brake line with the ends on it from advance.

hey todd how much did that bc bronco line cost..and do i really have to use the F350 flywheel or can i get away with the BKO flywheel?

·
Engineer
13,383 Posts
thanks amw & todd i thought that plastic line would be a prob....ill prolly fab up a line from some stainless brake line, i think i can get a 3' or 4' length of brake line with the ends on it from advance.

hey todd how much did that bc bronco line cost
You need an engine specific flywheel there never was a 351 with a manual trans in a bronco. The BC bronco kit is like $200 i think, it's a deal

·
my bko ate my money
3,878 Posts
You need an engine specific flywheel there never was a 351 with a manual trans in a bronco. The BC bronco kit is like $200 i think, it's a deal
cool but i got a 302? is the zf-5 swap possible with the 302 also?

·
Registered
163 Posts

whats part of their kit? I tried looking for the slave cylinder line but could not find it. i just ordered a new rebuilt zf-5 so im doing the swap as well, but i have a mazda 5 speed already. now i guess i need that line:doh0715:

·
Engineer
13,383 Posts
Go to bcbroncos.com
ZF Hydraulic Clutch Kit
[21-24000] $210.00

Click online store
Drivetrain
Clutch
It's the last item.

Or go to the website and call them. There customer service is awesome

"The ZF hydraulic clutch kit includes the Clutch rod kit, Ford M/C, breaded SS hose and the slave cylinder. The M/C and slave cylinder are stock Ford parts."

·
my bko ate my money
3,878 Posts
Go to bcbroncos.com
ZF Hydraulic Clutch Kit
[21-24000] $210.00

Click online store
Drivetrain
Clutch
It's the last item.

Or go to the website and call them. There customer service is awesome

"The ZF hydraulic clutch kit includes the Clutch rod kit, Ford M/C, breaded SS hose and the slave cylinder. The M/C and slave cylinder are stock Ford parts."
hell ya so after the kit all i should have to pick up is the trans, flywheel, pedal brakets, floor pan, and pcm right

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.