Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a 2006 F-350 6.0 Powerstroke from an auction. I am going to put driveline, brakes, seats and maybe firewall/dash into my 89. As such, I will have lots of parts left over from both vehicles. This project will be starting in a few weeks. I will have 5.0l(very strong) for sale, and the OD tranny(also strong). Computer, electrics. etc. for the 5.0l. And the seats(drivers worn a bit), and maybe the dash.

The f350 has passenger side doors, box and whatever interior I don't use. The parts available are mint. Drivers side and front clip, not so mint :toothless

Any thoughts on this swap would be appreciated, and the parts will be available when someone wants them.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Good luck, where's the pics?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you have to remove the cab to pull the engine on an F-350

The 6.0l are notorious for blowing head gaskets. Do yourself a favor and install a head stud kit and a beefier head gasket before you install the engine.

I'm guessing here but the 6.0l should have a much more capable fuel pump. I don't know if the stock Bronco pump can handle the fuel flow requirements of a turbodiesel.

keep us updated. I'm considering a body chop and stretch plus 7.3 liter swap down the road some time

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for info, those problems will be addressed by my cunning and skill when encountered. Or I'll open up a catalogue and spend. the motor has only 7500km. pretty fresh.

I have also thought about creating a 'Centurion' as well. Maybe when my welding skills match my imagination.

·
FSB warrior
6,114 Posts
I'm guessing here but the 6.0l should have a much more capable fuel pump. I don't know if the stock Bronco pump can handle the fuel flow requirements of a turbodiesel.
I would tackle that by using the trucks fuel system in its entirety:thumbup

·
Be jealous of my
923 Posts
The 6.0l are notorious for blowing head gaskets. Do yourself a favor and install a head stud kit and a beefier head gasket before you install the engine.
I thought those were on the early 6.0L's from 2003 and 2004. I know they had head issues from putting aluminum with steel and something with the chemical reaction in the metals caused them to warp. Not a big fan of the 6.0L but I'd still own one.
7.3 liter swap down the road some time
There's the spirit!

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I love the idea of this swap. It's a huge project, but ultimately you should end up with a very cool vehicle. Are you planning on using it as a wheeler, a tow rig, or what?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now it is our winter vehicle of choice. We live in the mountains, but it is fairly warm, so the roads are the worst they can be, and a car isnt practical. Once the snow clears up a bit more (few weeks-month), we will start driving other vehicles (mb190, 77 riv).
After it is done, it will resume it's winter duties, as well as towing boat and/or trailer through mountains.

Mountains+5.0l= slug.
Mountains+6.0l= aaaahhhhh, thats more like it.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I would tackle that by using the trucks fuel system in its entirety:thumbup
:stupid

Swap the whole FDM to your tank, or swap tanks and all if it'll fit, and use as much of the fuel system off the F350 as you can.

Looks like an excellent project, can't wait to see pics and more tech on the swap. :thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easier to buy the fourdoorbronco with the diesel in it and still enjoy having a two door too :shrug
Yes, you are correct. But I'm not lookin for easy. I have already got these vehicles (plus 20 other projects in yard), so my course is set. A centurion is down the line, but definitely will happen someday probably eventually.....

By the way, nice trucks. Real nice trucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts