Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wait a year or two till they build the new motor.....they have been having alot of problems with the new 6.0s.

My friend has an 05' 6.0, he just put a bully dog chip in it and it had a little screen up on the dash that has a pyrometer in it. He set the programmer on stock to see how hot his E.G was getting.
It would get up to 1450 if he stood on it until 45mph w/no trailer and thats not even with the power turned up. They say that your turbo will glow red a 1300 degrees

He said his old truck(03 7.3) would'nt even get up to 1000 on a hot day with a full trailer.

He don't know if it's just his or if they all get that hot

Just a heads up

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Buck The Bronco said:
Wait a year or two till they build the new motor.....they have been having alot of problems with the new 6.0s.

My friend has an 05' 6.0, he just put a bully dog chip in it and it had a little screen up on the dash that has a pyrometer in it. He set the programmer on stock to see how hot his E.G was getting.
It would get up to 1450 if he stood on it until 45mph w/no trailer and thats not even with the power turned up. They say that your turbo will glow red a 1300 degrees
that sounds pretty normal, if your under hard excell your egts are going to be hotter naturaly. ITs not uncommon to see those kinda of temps under WOT. what kills the motor is high temps under long durations of time like hauling a trailer up a hill

He said his old truck(03 7.3) would'nt even get up to 1000 on a hot day with a full trailer.

He don't know if it's just his or if they all get that hot

Just a heads up
I call bullshit on this. I have owned a 7.3 and installed several sets of gauges on these trucks. they get to ~900* just under a mild cruise. they will go well over 1000 under WOT. sounds like he had the gauge installed in the wrong place.

As for the 6.0, your mileage will vary, everyone is a little differnt depening on the calibration they are running on and your driving style. Ive seen people get anywhere from 12-19mpg with them. I would not wait and buy a 6.4 when it comes out, who knows what kinda of problems they are going to have. never buy a new model vehicle the first year, ever. There will always be problems. The 6.0 do have alot of problems sometimes but its all in how they are taken care of. I do see them in the shop alot but then again there is a shit loads of these on the road too. Which may never have a problem.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
my 6oh has been fine for the most part. Im getting like 15 with the camper top and 305's. Im not happy about the mileage at all, but cant do much about it. I like the power and tranny over the 7.3's though. I do wish I had the reliabilty of the 7.3, I do worry about it.

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
Dustin said:
I call bullshit on this. I have owned a 7.3 and installed several sets of gauges on these trucks. they get to ~900* just under a mild cruise. they will go well over 1000 under WOT. sounds like he had the gauge installed in the wrong place.

Yes, I think one Post, and one is Pre turbo.
But I met a guy the other day said his was getting to 1300 Post turbo!(Thats like 1800 pre turbo!)

·
3,420 Posts
if you start getting ~1500 you'll really start having bearing problems in the turbos. alot of the times turbos get the hottest when lugging back to peak torque. if you are cruising with a heavy load at your peak torque point they will be hotter than a higher rpm, because there isn't as much air moving past them.

i've had a twin turbo motor at work at about 800C (~1470F) and those glow bright enough to light up a room.

and that's definantly BS on the 1000 degree temp, those kind of temps don't even need much load to build up, it had to be a post temp probe.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Stay away from '03- early '04 6.0's You should be OK with an late '04, and I would not worry about and '05 or '06.

According to my Ford rep the 6.4 has been delayed again, they don't want to make the same mistakes as the 6.0 and release it before it is ready. Emission systems and diesels is bad mojo. :banghead

The 6.0 I drove the other day puts my 95 7.3 to shame. Buy one quick the sneak shots of the '07 Super Duty might push to me to a Dodge Mega Cab if I buy a NEW truck. Not to mention the 6.7 24V Cummins that's on the horizon.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I just bought a new 6.0 F350 4x4 crew. I have 1800 miles on it now and get 14 MPG, when it was brand new it only got 12 MPG. This is all around town driving, given time and it will hopefully be up around 17. All I know is my DD 79 Bronco I sold was only getting 5.5 MPG so if the new crew stays at 14 I almost tripled my mileage and that is about all that matters right now.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have a late 04 and its been at the dealer many times but now after many recalls and fixes its been very reliable.
I would take the 6.0 any day over the 7.3. Its much better for just driving on the highway because of the RPM range and power, and because of that it tows a lot better too. The new 5 speed tranny is also much better than the old 4r100. The last 7.3 I had the 4R100 was in and out 3 times in the first 30,000 miles when I sold it.
I average 15 to 16 MPG driving it to and from work. Out on the highway cruising through Nevada at 80 MPH I'll get about 17 mpg

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I am getting around 17 with my 01 7.3, I stayed away from the 6.0's because of thier issues they have had. It is bone stock with no toys yet. but I am always looking for some.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My buddy has an 06 with a 6.0 turbo. He threw all that edge attitude and juice shit on it and now the turbo is malfunctioning after a few months. When it works right the power is incredible, though.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
meatbeater said:
My buddy has an 06 with a 6.0 turbo. He threw all that edge attitude and juice shit on it and now the turbo is malfunctioning after a few months. When it works right the power is incredible, though.
that tends to happen when running over 30psi of boost on some of the aftermarket tunes.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
meatbeater said:
If it is an 06 it is probably not even broke in yet. A diesel motor does not get broke in till about 80,000 miles. It is no wonder why he is having problems.

Buck the Bronco said:
Wait a year or two till they build the new motor.....they have been having alot of problems with the new 6.0s..

Like they won't have any problems with the new 6.4 motor? This is exactly why I bought an 06 6.0. Almost all of the problems they had early on with the 6.0 has been cleared up.

Wood go over to Thedieselstop.com, I found out quite a bit on the 6.0 motor before I bought mine from them.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Ranger429 said:
Like they won't have any problems with the new 6.4 motor? This is exactly why I bought an 06 6.0. Almost all of the problems they had early on with the 6.0 has been cleared up.

The 6.4 is not coming out until they work out the kinks, Ford actually learned something from the 6.0.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
The 6.4 is not coming out until they work out the kinks, Ford actually learned something from the 6.0.
BS

thats what they claim, but it never happens that way

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
The 6.0 I drove the other day puts my 95 7.3 to shame. Buy one quick the sneak shots of the '07 Super Duty might push to me to a Dodge Mega Cab if I buy a NEW truck. Not to mention the 6.7 24V Cummins that's on the horizon.
Being a dodge guy, don't.
If you want a Dodge, get either an 05 or 06.
The 6.7 is going to be the 6.0 of dodges. Cummins has never had to deal with emmisons to this level before, so issues will be there.
My 05 Dodge gets 18-19.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
MikE2 said:
BS

thats what they claim, but it never happens that way

yup....they can never predict what its going to do once it goes into production and gets into the real world. I do think they are taking there time a little more with the release of the 6.4 tho. I the 6.0 was kinda thrown out there in hurry. you have to remember too that this engine is built by international too so its not really a ford desiged engine, sure they have there hand in it but....we see alot more problems with the F250s-F550s compared to the F650s-750s that only have a 210hp 6.0 in them. Its all in the calibration. Calibration has alot to do with how these things run, thats why ford has reprogrammed these things like a billion times.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
welndmn said:
Being a dodge guy, don't.
If you want a Dodge, get either an 05 or 06.
The 6.7 is going to be the 6.0 of dodges. Cummins has never had to deal with emmisons to this level before, so issues will be there.
My 05 Dodge gets 18-19.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Keep your 6.0L stock, too. From everything I've seen in the shop and heard from Ford and International engineers, the 6.0L can make shit loads of power when chipped and whathavenot, but they won't last very long. At the one Ford roundtable meeting I went to for 6.0L's the International engineer told us that they can pretty much tell you what brand chip you had in your truck just by looking at the melted pistons in your blown up engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts