Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, found an '88 for the Daughter that looks promising, but I need a quick opinion or translation on what the seller just sent me, and see if it's a deal breaker or somewhat easy $ cheap to remedy---and/or what to look for when we get out there;

The only thing it needs real attention is the steering linkage was never upgraded along with the lift, so the steering is a bit loose and the power steering pump leaks a bit. Maybe its a line causing both? Never looked into it.
He's got a 6" Pro-Comp lift on this truck, with 33"s and 'possibly' 4:10's. And if it matters at all, a C-6 tranny stuck on a 5.8. Any suggestions from the suspension gawds here would be most appreciated....

Gracias,

Ricky

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
The only thing related to the lift and steering would be the addition of a drop pitman arm.

If the steering is loose, it's got worn tie rod ends, maybe ball joints, TTB joints, or less likely bearings. Observe them all to see if everything is moving correctly whiel someone else turns the steering wheel back and forth.

The steering leak could be as simple as the return line leaking or more complex like a leak past the shaft.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Balljoints and steering box are probably wrecked. Drop pitman is a must.

~$200 for rebuilt steering box from Broncograveyard (plus $100 core), $70 for a pitman, and a complete replacement stock steering (all rods, rod ends, links & sleeves) for $140. Then shipping... Some of it could probably found a lil' cheaper.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Balljoints and steering box are probably wrecked. Drop pitman is a must.

~$200 for rebuilt steering box from Broncograveyard (plus $100 core), $70 for a pitman, and a complete replacement stock steering (all rods, rod ends, links & sleeves) for $140. Then shipping... Some of it could probably found a lil' cheaper.
Wowch, so like $500-ish? Plus a real long day and some extra tools that I probably don't have?

Hmmm, sounds like a passer to me. But thanx so much Kidz for the tips....:toothless

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I don't think it would be one to "pass up"

You are more then welcome to come here and we can do it.. Though she has to come and help.. she needs to learn how to work on it to..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Could always use junkyard parts in better shape than what's on the truck and spend a lot less than $500....

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Make sure that the frame is not broke or cracked at the steering box right behind the coil bucked.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
9,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow. That looks a lot like the bronco that is/was right down the street from me.
If it was on Temple in Long Beach, she ain't there any more 'cuz she just moved to San Pedro. $900.00, plus a new $150.00 radiator. Daughter #1 is most happy. :toothless

Pics to follow soon in the New Member forum.........:smokin:

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Congrats to her Ricky..

Is the xfer case electric? If so is it getting a Shiftster? :toothless

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats to her Ricky..

Is the xfer case electric? If so is it getting a Shiftster? :toothless
Nah, she told me that the Shiftster is a useless p.o.s. who's only purpose on this planet is to give Dad bull$hit reasons to buy more expensive tools.

Ergo, her t-case is a stick..........:toothless

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
lol..

Is this the same daughter I met on the cleghorn trip?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
lol.. 1 is enough.. She seems like she's an handfull as it is.. And now you bought her a vehicle.. You my friend are in trouble.. lol...

When's the wrenching day? I'll show ya how to work on a bronco and not just tear one apart.. :histerica

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Ricky,
how big is your shop? I'm looking at putting a 4" lift on my Bronc in another month or so and I'm looking for a good workspace where I can do this over a weekend.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ricky,
how big is your shop? I'm looking at putting a 4" lift on my Bronc in another month or so and I'm looking for a good workspace where I can do this over a weekend.
Argo, my shop isn't really set up for that kind of work....since you can't actually get a vehicle into it. It's more like a 430 square foot cabinet & machine shop (I just sub-let out the other half of it to a guy who....get this....raises tarantulas. There's alotta money in those things I just found out).

When I offered to help out the other So Cal member, it was because I could have worked on his truck out in front of the roll up door. So maybe you oughta ask Spectre about doing your lift work at his place?.........

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
We can do a lift at my place.. I'm always welcome to help people out, plus it's good fun to get everyone together and help put on a lift.. It takes about 1 full day.. (well that's with the rain) lol..

That being said.. Make sure Tony R comes.. him and I knock the broncos out pretty quick.. That and you'll just have to buy some cut off wheels for the grinder to get the stupid rivets out. :thumbup

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Ricky.. where are the pics?! Where's the intro?

Sorry bored at work.. trying to entertain myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts