Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a plan of buying a 2012 California Special next year but then the idea came to mind of restoring a '67-'70 Cougar(I love those cars) and swapping in a new 5.0L and 6 speed to save gas since iwould make it my summer daily driver. I plan on starting by buying the cougar this year and have it restored within a year to year and a half. Rebuild the engine and swap in a 6 speed from a cobra or gt500 then later get a new 5.0L crate engine or from a wrecked 2011+ GT. Has anyone in this forum done a 6 speed swap to their classic? Did it improve your gas mileage on your carburated motor?

·
'05 Excursion Limited
1,662 Posts
You are definitely talking killer money there. Even scrap yards will be trying to get big bucks for the 5.0 not to mention all the associated emissions and computer equipment. Good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking ~$15k for the combo. A crate engine is $7k. I could buy a cougar from $1k-$2.5k and restore it for hopefully around $10K. Which will have me around $25k instead of $35K for a new Cali Special

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
Your gonna have to move the engine forward to do so... The 6 speeds are top loaders and the shift gate is way back on the tailshaft damn near!!! Tried to do a lightning 5.4 with a T-56 6speed in a 66 ranchero and learned this first hand. Would be bitchin though :thumbup

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Not really wanting to take the time to do your research for you, the first question that comes to mind here is what is the final overdrive gear ratio of the six speed gear box vs whatever you are trying to compare it against? It seems to me that adding extra speeds will do nothing for mileage if the ratios are lower. Also, you mention a carb'ed motor...why? Fuel injection is soooooooooo much better. It just seems silly to drop this much money into a restoration and then slap a carb on it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor in the Cougar will be rebuilt temporarily. Then I will be dropping in a new 4v 5.0L which will be fuel injected. I would ask the Mercury Cougar forum but I'm still a "pending member" and can't post threads yet

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
FYI, a 03-04 cobra has a T56, the GT500 has the TR 6060, they are two different transmissions(the 6060 is a stronger updated T56)... and the TR 6060 is pretty damn expensive....

You can find a T56 in alot of things though... GTO's, corvettes, F bodies etc etc

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm thinking ~$15k for the combo. A crate engine is $7k. I could buy a cougar from $1k-$2.5k and restore it for hopefully around $10K. Which will have me around $25k instead of $35K for a new Cali Special
a 67-68 cougar in the 1k-2.5k range is going to be a pretty rough car, for that price you would be lucky if it has an engine

1st gen cougars have gone WAY up in price, i have a 68 XR7 GT with the original 390 and C6 tranny, no rust, the original black vinyl top is still even in perfect condition, i havent even started rebuilding it (its been sitting in a garage since 1982) and ive had people beggin to buy this thing, i even had an offer for a running 69 mustang fastback which i wouldve taken if i hadnt been wanting this car for so long.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
I guess i got lucky, i got a '87 Lincoln with a 302 and an AOD. Grabbed all the wire harnesses and everything to Restomod my '67 Mustang.

Oh yea, the Lincoln only had 60,000 Original miles...

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
the Broheim
3,994 Posts
FYI, a 03-04 cobra has a T56, the GT500 has the TR 6060, they are two different transmissions(the 6060 is a stronger updated T56)... and the TR 6060 is pretty damn expensive....

You can find a T56 in alot of things though... GTO's, corvettes, F bodies etc etc
Probably be cheaper just to use the Ford T56 gear cluster and case with a Viper output shaft and corvette input.

BTW none of this is going to work with a modular ford motor and cougar shock towers. The "mod" motors piston angle is 90 degrees not 60 like the 302/351 etc. The motor is waaaaay to wide. Unless you are willing to really hack up the shock towers, you wont get that motor halfway in before you hit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been browsing the cougar forums and it looks like pretty much the 5.4 is the only one that needs the shock towers replaced with Mustang II front suspension to fit it. The 4.6 and 5.0 should clear with little fab work. I'm still doing research so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for all the info though you guys have been helping me out on my brainstorming too. Keep them coming this is a serious project I hope to have done within the next 3-4 years so I can daily drive it during the summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts