Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am killing the starters in my 81 FSB.it has a 302 and the oil is pretty much self changing if ya know what i mean.the starters are from NAPA.they have a lifetime warranty so its just taking it off and getting another but it can be a hassle sometimes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you know what exactly is failing with them?

I used to have a 390 Ford Station Wagon and I would go through starters like that. (Mine were from PepBoys...also free replacements...)

I once heard that it was a "shimming" issue....but I suspected that it was probably just the poor quality of their rebuilds. Some of them were bad right out of the box...etc.

I never did find the answer...but I imagine that if you got a new starter from Ford that your issues would go away. Still...tell us what goes wrong with them. Maybe then someone can make a better suggestion.

Chuck

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do you have headers on your truck? I had a friend with a 90s f250 and he went through starters like that and it ended up being the headers overheating the starter, he put a heat shield and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no headers.they are making a very loud grinding noise. i assume it is grinding on the fly wheel.i just took it off and the bottom bolt was loose. it used to be the top bolt would be loose.i put a longer bolt on it and it stays tight.it used to shake a lot before i got the ball joints on.i thought that was the problem.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,254 Posts
I went throught that same problem with my 351. It was the flexplate missing teeth. The noise was from the starter missing the teeth on the flex plate. I went through about 4 starter in a couple months, finally I took it in to a shop to have a professional install one thinking I was overlooking something, and they told me the flexplate was bad. THey replaced the flexplate and no problems since. I also thought it was a hot start problem and got a heat shield but that didn't make a difference.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,254 Posts
I think about 250 + parts. Flexplate is 39.00....Or if you want to drop your tranny you can do it yourself. You should take off the starter and look at the teeth inside while you have a friend turning the crank bolt before you drop the $$$.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts