Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was given 3 sets of chevy 63" springs for my project bronco, but not sure I want to try them.

My rear suspension was a three link with air bags, but know I want to try the shackle reversal. I dont have any factory ford springs and I cant afford to buy any and the chevy ones were free.

The width is easy to over come I was just going to plate the inside of my factory hangers to make up the difference.

Will the chevys flex more? I think they will b/c there longer and the centering bolt is in the center unlike the ford ones. I understand also that the chevys will give me more spring wrap b/c the centering bolt location, but a track bar would solve the spring wrap problem with out hurting flex. Plus these leaf packs are like brand new.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
That's a tough call to make. While the chevy springs will offer alot more flex over the stock ford springs(I've only seen it, never experienced it yet), two questions do come to mind, one of which you already addressed, about the spring wrap, the other would be, do the chevys offer more flex and/or a better ride, then the 3-link you have now

You might find yourself going back and forth for awhile, til you get it all figured out

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 3link I did is poorly designed, plus I dont think a roockie driver needs such a complicated suspension. I think I should go back to stock with shackle reversal and learn how to drive before I build some wild and crazy rig. Plus I have to drive the rig at least 8-10hrs just to go wheeling some were decent and with all the safty inspections that cops do the more stock my rig looks the better..

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
yes, they will flex better, but will move your axle back unless you move thefront hanger forward. I blelieve the chevy springs are dead center at 31", where the fords are like a 32/25 split (roughly). so, using the rear hanger placement would be about right, but the front would have to go farward like 5 or 6" which you would need to make sure would clear the body mount. Or split the difference between the two if you need to hang the mounts anyways.

Axle wrap is fixable. If you can build a three link, you can do a track/torque

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
If they came off of a 1/4 ton Chevy you will probably need to add a leaf or two.

Keep in mind that these work great for a Toyota. It was a hot swap several years ago in the Toy world. Your truck is quite a bit heavier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts