Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my travels of finding an AOD i ran across the only ad in my local paper for transmissions. called the guy really nice guy. with giving him my old transmission and him giving me one it is going to cost me 650.00. and then i go put it in. does that sound about right? this was not a junk yard or anything transmissions are his business i guess. he told me to think about it an let him know he will need a day or two to get it together. (???) if i go with this guy am i just asking to be raped? (sounds harsh i know)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
depends, that is about right in price wise but do you know of anyone that has used his service?? mainly can he deliver a good tranny.
go to a good tranny shop and see what they price their tranny.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aamco (sp) wanted a little over 1000 for a tranny. (not including if i had them put it in) no i dont know of anyone that has used their service.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
I can have an AOD rebuilt around here for about $650 so that is not unreasonable for an exchange.

What is the warranty?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
armywifey4life said:
aamco (sp) wanted a little over 1000 for a tranny. (not including if i had them put it in) no i dont know of anyone that has used their service.
Do not go to AMCO no matter what!!!!!!
AMCO couldn't build an AOD if there lives depended on it.

Full rebuilds for an AOD with all the upgrades (minus the wide ratio kit) run between $800.00 and $1,200 around here. Thats with them removing and installing it. My next AOD will come from a performance shop like Jet, B&M, ART-Car or Bawman

http://www.artcarr.com/storm.cfm?funnelaction=10&ProductID=7146
http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=4&subcat=16&pid=35
http://www.becontrols.com/products/aodcat.htm

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hopefully this won't happen to you: A local guy is known for selling used transmissions that are junk. Example: Ford Taurus transmissions were about 1400 rebuilt. This guy runs adds and will sell you a used trns for $450.00 but you have to give him your old one. The one he sold you i a piece of crap. After you have done all the work or pay to have it put in; you then find out it is no good, you call the guy andcomplain. He bitches and argues with you andthen relents and says bring it back and i will give you another one. While you were gone he has his mechanic wash your old tranny and then work on it with a file(a couple of bolt heads and a scrape or two elsewhere) etc to make it where you couldn't recognize it from before. After you have gone thru the exercise again you call him and he cusses you out etc. This guy has bought a few X police cars as well as two police bikes. This is to give the impression that he is either a cop or well connected. For the most part the buyers are definitely not from his county and usually are from Mo and he lives just across the state line into Johnson county Ks; a rich affluent county in comparison to the surrounding Mo side. The cops in his area are the type to let you know they don't really like people from the Mo side coming over and starting arguments in there area.(arund here if you are from mo then expect to get treated like shit and the Mo cops treat Ks people the same way) .There opinion is that it is a civil manner.

I WOULDN'T BUY IT! You don't have recourse for squat other than a civil suit if he wouldn't refund and if it wasbad and he did refund then you are stll gonna be out more money.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks you guys! i actually sat down with the phone book and called every person in there. i found one in orlando (about 30 min) from me. it is a junk yard. which i was very skeptical about. by the time i got to this guys number i was so aggrivated it wasent even funny. he asked what was wrong with my current tranny and i explained the situation to him. he has a 1986 AOD with transfer case that he will sell to me for 350.00 30 day warr. and he doesent want me to bring him my old one or the old t-case. he told me to just sell it or whatever to get some money back. he says he has made sure it works and when i come down there if i want him to have it in a bronco so i can make sure it works he will put it in and take it back out. he is willing to deliver it if it wont fit in my tracker. so i think i am going to go with that. imma call him tommorow and set up a time to go make sure it all works and what not. i dont know how much harder adding in changeing the T-case will be but i can do it.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
unles the first guy is selling you a rebuilt tranny, I would go with the last guy. They are both offring a 30 day warranty and the second guy is letting you keep your tranny and transfer case and giving you twice as much for half as much. By the way, I payed $1250 to get my tranny rebuilt 4 years ago and that included re&re of the tranny, oh and plus the cost of another transmission housing, mine was farked up.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
the last deal at the yard sounds pretty good especially if he has enough confidence in it to put it back in for ya. plus you could probobly make back more than half of your money on parts getting to keep the old one. Wear a "nice" shit maybe it'll only be $300.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XLTbeast said:
Wear a "nice" shit maybe it'll only be $300.
im hoping you meant shirt :histerica

i figure a turtle neck should work just fine:thumbup

no im just going to wear what i normally wear and be myself. discount is not needed.

but thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts