Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT 351W/ZF5, 1996 F150 XLT 351W/E4OD D44 Leaf Sprung SAS
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
those things you find like that are real time sucks, aren't they?
Found another one.

I put oil in it, primed it, dropped in the distributor, plugged in the wires, and fired it for the first time. Ran decent, to my amazement as I only eyeballed the rotor towards the #1 wire. Since there was no coolant or alternator, I only let it run for about 30 seconds and shut it back down.

Once I decided that I was good to go putting all the accessories on, and coolant in, I put on the bracket that holds the alternator. I was about to attach a heater hose the the outlet under the manifold when I discovered that the EGR tube was almost exactly in the way.

There’s a chance that if I find a threaded pipe long enough, I’ll be able to reach from the manifold out past the egr pipe and be able to connect the heater hose. I certainly hope so.

But hey, it ran!

Now all that’s left is the finish up the front, add the coolant, rig up an exhaust, bleed the cloth, and reinstall the driveshafts. Yeah. Thats

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
What did you change there that is the issue?

(I'm glad I found a 351 instead of a 302 so I could avoid an eventual swap). When people ask about the swap and work involved it usually sounds pretty remove & replace

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
What did you change there that is the issue?
I haven’t changed it yet. It’s the issue with the one coolant tube from the 302 not clearing the parts of the intake and now the EGR pipe. I’ve decided that I will try finding a longer one, so I don’t have to tear everything off the top of the engine to get the right 351 long, curvy, nearly-impossible-to-take-of-without-damaging-it tube.

Maybe I should do a more comprehensive write up on the differences. I haven’t made it to this point yet, but I’ve read that I’ll have to extend the harness for the two O2 sensors that are in the Y pipe right after the manifolds, since the 302 sensors are wired into the engine harness and the 351 are not.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
ok yea, i see what you're saying about the heater hose.

I’ve read that I’ll have to extend the harness for the two O2 sensors
when i had to get aftermarket my year model 1990 y-pipe modified to fit my 96, that included having a couple o2 bungs welded in. and the guy who did it put one a little bit too far from the original placement. now the harness is strained to connect. i went to the JY and grabbed a connection point between the harness and o2 sensor. now i'm going to splice those together to make an extension that is plug and play.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I like that idea. Assuming I can find the right plugs. There’s another 96 5.0 in the junkyard that I was hoping to get the engine harness off of. I assume that any ford vehicle would have harnesses with the same connections on them. I’d rather not cut up the one 96 that’s there.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I’ve gone about as far as I can without buying some more parts.

I got a little sidetracked right from the start yesterday afternoon, but I’ll come back to that.

I bought a section of pipe and a union and extended the one heater hose outlet so now I can put a hose on it.

After that, I swapped in a new oil pressure gauge extension like the one my 64 Comet has. I know I could have bought one with two ports, but I bought a single and drilled and tapped it myself. It’s better than the cobbled up tee I originally put on.

Somewhere around here I fired it up again and saw that I had 60 psi at idle, then shut it down again because no coolant.

I installed the alternator and tried to make the metal pipe/hose setup from the 302 fit, but it was over an inch too short. The one that came with the 351 was rusty and corroded, so I decided to wait and get a different one.

Then I prepped my Saginaw pump with the AN fitting and hose that I’d bought over a year ago so it would work with the 4 bolt steering box. I installed that, then remounted the AC compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
To address the ‘can’t do anything else right now’, I have three things holding me back:

1. I need to get the power steering return put in. Need a hose that I will then route thru my no-longer-needed transmission cooler and back to the pump (like what @BigBlue 94 did). Without that, I can’t put the serpentine belt on. Don’t want to F up the pump with no fluid in it.

2. I need that hose part to snake around the alternator bracket so I can have a closed loop and fill it with coolant, after I install the radiator. Which will be delayed because of a fire.

3. Must have just a coincidence that as soon as I opened the hood to start work yesterday that I heard arcing, saw sparks then a fire coming from the passenger side AC condenser mount along the top of the radiator support.

Back before I took the bronco off the road to do the engine, I got one of those headlight relay kits that are suppose to make the lights brighter by running direct off the battery and not thru the light switch. I ran those wires behind those condenser brackets because it seemed safe and out of the way. I guess the insulation must have worn thru and grounded to the bracket. That bracket also has rubber mounts, so the arcing/grounding caused it to catch fire.

I was able to yank the positive battery cable off, and put the fire out with an old leather glove I had nearby.

As you can see, the fire also melted a portion of the aluminum condenser bracket.
I was going to install the radiator, but now I need to get a new mount pad and put it on before the radiator goes in and blocks it.

good times

I’m lucky that it happened while I was there and not in the middle of the night.

Also lucky that it didn’t damage the other wiring nearby.

I’m going to repair that harness, but use plenty of anti-chaffing protection so it can’t wear thru the insulation and ground out again. Might be a wise decision to install an in-line fuse as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thanks for the warning! We just put a relay kit on the Bronco and of course I never thought about fuse protection for it. Warning heeded.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
did the headlight kit not come with a fuse? which kit did you use?

regardless, glad that you were able to extinguish the fire before it caused any serious damage!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
did the headlight kit not come with a fuse? which kit did you use?
LMC. I’d read about it on here somewhere. Irony is that it’s supposed to eliminate the risk of fires from the light switch overheating.

And no, there were no fuses. Two hot leads to the relays, then to the lights.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
I went to the junkyard today and collected some parts. I found some new evap tubes that were better than I had, a manifold brace, and some metal pulleys to replace the plastic ones that the tensioner and idler had on mine.

I put these parts on and tried to use the super duty return hose on my 4bolt steering box, so I could complete the power steering circuit and install my belt. My plans didn’t work out, but surprisingly, the 302 serpentine belt being shorter, I was able to bypass the power steering pump and fire up the engine again, this time full of coolant and having a fan and alternator charging the battery. You can see where I had to tie up the upper radiator hose to keep it off the belt.

Also, the tree frog made another appearance

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
This morning I drove around town and bought a few things, including a new serpentine belt. I guess I didn’t have a spare for the 351 in the truck and didn’t realize that the 302 was so much shorter, but it worked out yesterday to bypass the power steering.

I was outside all day yesterday and pretty miserable, so I decided to take the day off. I have two batches of home brew to bottle anyway. It’s supposed to be even hotter today. Did I ever mention that the bronco is out in the driveway under no type of shade?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I planned on hooking up my power steering yesterday, but the terrible terrible tubing bender that I bought ruined my mood. About all I did was get the hard lines coming down from the cooler to below the radiator support.

today I connected all the lines/hoses and filled it up. I replaced the short belt with the right one and fired it up. I topped off the reservoir after turning the wheel lock to lock, and noticed a small drip from the back of the pump. It didn’t look like it was coming from the pressure hose connection, but I don’t know where else around there it was coming from. Since I had already messed with every connection more than once before I fired it it up, I called it a night.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well, I ordered the Edelman pressure line that was in someone’s 4 bolt thread. It didn’t leak like the AN fittings did, so my power steering is complete.

I started sawing on my stock 5.0 exhaust, thinking that maybe, hopefully, I can graft on the 5.8 y pipe and make it work ok enough, for Now.
No luck on the rear driveshaft. I have 6 or more and none of them are a perfect. guess I’ll have to pay a shop to make one.

I did put the grille back on, so it looks normal again

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I decided to just order a driveshaft for a manual bronco from Amazon. It’s was cheap, and probably will be replaced when I decide I have $500 to get one built.

it showed up today. I bolted it on and drove the bronco for the first time in about 26 months.

exhaust is still incomplete, so it was loud, and the brake pedal was a little low, so I didn’t push it past idle in 3rd gear. But it drives!

If I knew how to post a video, I would.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Whoa, it's been down for 26 months? The amazon driveshaft really was a score in that case!
it hasn’t been down because of the driveshaft. Had two winters of no activity and a motor to buy and rebuild in there too.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Today I laid down the carpet and put the seats and console back in

I took the wife for a brief cruise and managed to hit 60 and was able to shift into overdrive.

still loud. I’ll probably spend some time this weekend working on exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Two weeks later....

All that’s left now, to make it daily driveable, is the exhaust.

After looking at what I have (and being cheap), I decided to take a junkyard 351 Y-pipe and graft it on to my stock 302 exhaust. I ordered 3 O2 bungs because I needed two in the Y-pipe. Turns out I’ll need the 3rd, as the 351 has the last O2 behind the 2nd cat. The 302 has it after the 1st one. I’ll also cut off and close the air pipe coming from the smog pump.

Doing this will allow me to get it on the road, quietly, and use it until I decide to upgrade the entire exhaust.

From the 2nd cat back is a 10 year old 3” magnaflow muffler and tailpipe in relatively good shape.

I expect to have it done by the end of the weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Here’s my nearly complete Frankenstein exhaust, after welding a 351 Y to my 302 exhaust, and adding 3 O2 sensor bungs. It’s getting late, so I’ll work on it after the junkyard tomorrow.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts