Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Bronco XLT 351W/ZF5, 1996 F150 XLT 351W/E4OD D44 Leaf Sprung SAS
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Put the exhaust in and test drove. Now I can hear some transmission noise. I’ll deal with it later. I also need to replace either my tensioner or idler pulley, as it squeals. Probably a bad bearing.
I swapped the 35s back from the F150 to the bronco, now that it’s road worthy, and took it for another drive.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I pulled the serp belt and put the 302 one in such a way as to bypass the idler pulley and the power steering pump like I did in an earlier post. The noise went away, so I replaced the idler pulley and put the 351 belt back on. Noise was gone. That made me very happy as I didn’t want to swap power steering setups, with it being this hot out.

I then drove it to town to buy some things. First time driving it under pressure. Hoping I wouldnt kill it at a stop light. I need to replace the starter, as it’s about a 70/30 chance of it working, without me having to get out and tap on it. Sometimes all I get is a clunk.

transmission probably needs a rebuild, or at least the 2-3 synchro replaced. If I shift too fast from 2 to 3, it wants to grind. If I give the shifter a side-to-side wiggle, it goes into 3rd just fine.

also has some whining noise cruising along in 2nd.

Ill try changing out the fluid and adding an extra quart like some people recommend doing.

I’d only driven the parts truck that the transmission came from about 50 yards, so never got the chance to wring it out.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Well, it turns out the squealing wasn’t from my idler pulley. I started the truck up yesterday to move it and the squeal was back. After it warmed up it went away. I wonder if it’s my alternator with a bad bearing that only squeals while it’s trying hard to charge the battery on startup and not later when it settles down? I might grab another 130A 3G from the junkyard Saturday just to see.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well, it turns out the squealing wasn’t from my idler pulley. I started the truck up yesterday to move it and the squeal was back. After it warmed up it went away. I wonder if it’s my alternator with a bad bearing that only squeals while it’s trying hard to charge the battery on startup and not later when it settles down? I might grab another 130A G3 from the junkyard Saturday just to see.
It could also be the smog pump bearings going out... mine did that right before it went... I could have sworn it was the idler pulley as well.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Now I’m fairly convinced that it is my alternator. I drove the bronco to work today and the squealing didn’t seem to stop unless I was at an idle. My battery/alt gauge was also reading slightly less than middle, making me think it’s on the way out. Could just be a bad bearing, but I’m going to replace it tomorrow and see if it improves. Hopefully no issues getting home today.
By the way, the belt is new, and it’s not a belt squeal, it’s definitely a bad bearing noise.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,702 Posts
I didn’t know such a thing existed for alternators. Only home air conditioners.
I've had zero noise since switching over to the soft start, even when towing and winching. Here's the info, in case you didn't find it:

Pick up a couple of them on your next JY trip.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I was at the junkyard today and didn’t spot any 3G alternators with the mount I need. I did grab a couple voltage regulators, but they were both gray. One was an F7... from that F super duty that I got some pedals out of. I’m sure I have a couple more 3G alternators in the garage somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Remember back in post #102, how I thought I was all clever and decided it was my idler pulley, because the sound went away, but then it came back? I swapped the power steering pump/bracket with another one I had and the squeal is gone. I’m not going to say it’s gone forever, because I thought I’d fixed it last time. But I’ll continue hoping it’s gone until it comes back.

I did also swap out the alternator before I did the power steering. Gauge shows it charging better, but the sound was still there, thus the PS swap.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
This doesn’t apply to my engine/trans swap, but this is kind of an overall build thread, so, I’ll leave this here.

When I bought my bronco, it had a crappy red bronco sport rear bumper. It was straight, but red on a white bronco looked like crap, so I painted it silver.

Years later, after having moved to Iowa and driven it a few winters on the salted roads, it had begun to show some rust.

I found a straight chrome bumper at the junkyard a few weeks back and finally decided to pull it yesterday. It has a couple of small dings and some bumper stickers, so cleaned them off and polished it.

Since the other one rusted and I didn’t want this one to, I wire wheeled the rust and scale off the inside surfaces and applied a coat of POR-15.

I then took the old one off and put this one on, then used the better black plastic and put it in the new chrome bumper, a long with adding some gray to the step portion, over some more POR15

Hopefully it will stay looking good for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
My transmission has been very loud, with lots of gear noise. Rollover, they might call it.

also, since I’ve had the 5 speed, the only thing separating the cabin from the transmission has been the one layer of rubber boot. There’s supposed to be a lower boot, and from my parts truck, there was also a foam pad.

Id read that adding more fluid might help the noise, so I finally got around to draining the trans and putting some new fluid. Since I’m putting more than I should, I filled thru the shifter hole up top. When I was done, I added the missing boot parts and put it all back together.

I’m not sure if it’s the extra barriers or the new fluid that’s making it quieter (probably 90% boot), but it is. I’ll give a report back after driving it to work tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Well, the transmission seems as loud as it ever was, so fluid change didn’t help. Boot cut down on some noise. I’m still hearing a squeaking/squealing noise from the engine. I’ve replaced every pulley except the idler where the smog pump usually is, the AC compressor, and the water pump. Water pump is new, and I sincerely hope that wouldn’t be making all this noise.
And it also seems like I have a small coolant leak from one of the heater hoses somewhere near the passenger side. As I was parking at work, I noticed some vapor coming from under the hood. Thought it might be belt related, but I saw wet spots and smelled coolant when I opened the hood. I’ll tighten the hose clamps around there before I head out this afternoon.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,702 Posts
I haven't driven mine yet to determine tranny road noise, but I fatmat'd (dynamat alternative) the tranny tunnel access cover since it seemed like an echo chamber waiting to happen. I have the lower boot but not the thick foam piece like on the t-case shifter.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
My transmission is fairly loud at idle, but when I push in the clutch, it stops. Not sure if that means my input shaft bearings are bad?
Sounds like an old gear driven lathe set to the lowest speed.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I was talking to a guy at work, and my bronco came up. I took him outside and let him listen to the noise. He thought it sounded like it was coming from the AC compressor, but also thought it could be my tensioner. I came home and replaced the tensioner with another one, and still had the noise.

I have an AC delete idler pulley, so I wired the compressor out of the way and put it on. No noise. But I thought I had it fixed before. I won’t declare victory until I’ve gone thru several heat/cool cycles with the motor and still have no squeak. Then I’ll consider pulling the entire closed AC system from the F150 and putting it in the bronco. Good thing summer is almost over and I don’t need AC. I never really used it unless my wife was with me, but it would be nice to have it.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Fired it up this morning to go to town. Squeaking, dammit.

It has to be my new water pump, right? No squeak without a belt. Has to be an accessory. I've replaced the power steering and alternator with spares. I've swapped idlers. Only think left is the water pump.

If I knew how to post videos, I would, where you can hear it.

I'm ordering a whole batch of 40mm bearings to replace in all of the idlers, just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I took the newer, known quiet idler and US made serp belt from the F150 and put them on the Bronco. Its quiet at idle and when I rev the engine, but as its slowing, you hear a bit of squeak that stops after a second or so.

On the flip side, the old tensioner and India-made autozone belt are silent on the F150. Who knows.

But I went for a drive, and after the bronco was hot, the belt didnt make any noise while I revved it up in the driveway.

I'm going to order a completely new tensioner and belt and see what that does. That, plus the new bearings in all the accessory idler pulleys ought to do something.

Time to finally connect my two upstream O2 sensors. Going to take some soldering to get everything connected.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Since I’m using the 5.0 harness for my 5.8, and the O2 sensors are in different places (farther away, in the pipes, not in the manifolds), I needed to extend my wires. Taking a great idea from @dash_cam , I made some “intermediate” extensions, that clip into the existing harness and sensors, so I don’t have to modify either.

Driver and passenger side:

Passenger one needed to be so long because instead of the sensor being on the back side of the manifold, it’s down by the starter, pointing forward. I had to run from the harness, along the valve cover forward, then across to the inner fender, then down to the frame, and along the starter cable, to keep it away from the heat of the exhaust.

I checked codes and had 8. 4 were related to the nonexistent E4OD, and the other 4 were related to the front 2 O2 sensors that were disconnected until today. I cleared the codes and will drive it for a while tomorrow to let it self test and see if those last 4 codes go away.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts