Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally picked me up a timing light and did the 6litre tune up. Everything went great except for now I will get a random check engine light. So,I pulled the code with my code reader and got code 173 which is engine running rich. How is this possible and what might be the cause for this? Any remedies aswell?

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
are you pinging? did you route the wires correctly? The oinly thing i can think of to make you run rich is you bumped the timing too much.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,976 Posts
he could have bad intake gasket? sucking in to much air.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No pinging that I can hear, even at higher rpms there is nothing. I only bumped it to about 11 too. I did just replace my throttle body gasket but, if there was a leak I would have high idle rpms from the vac. leak. I'm ganna go back and see if maybe my distributer moved while tightening or something.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
There is a chance of crossfire, but if he used the 9mm wires i wouldnt think that would be possible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used accel 8mm high performance ones. Not sure of the exact names. I'm not getting irregular fires or studders. Woudnt those be symptoms as well if it was crossfiring or if I had the wiring incorrect??? I do have a few wires (cyl. 5,6) with extra slack in them that have a small coil down near the spark plugs tho.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If he is running rich he probably won't hear it ping. Until the timing is too high and then it will miss fire.

I am actually having the same issue right now after my rebuild.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Well pull ur plugs and see if they are fouled. Are you blowing black smoke? Does truck bog down or lose power?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On start up for about 30 seconds it'll blow dirty smoke then clean up. Doesn't loose power though.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Battery good? Alternator good? What's ur fuel pressure?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
both battery and alt are new and working properly. havent checked fuel pressure. I think i might have found out my issue... Biggest noob mistake. when i went to do the timing bump i made a line on my distributor for the original setting, which was a good thing. the bad part is i didnt take the SPOUT out before i turned the dist. I caught myself and put the the dist. back to the original spot and then followed thru correctly. If i placed the dist wrong, would the amount that i am off be added to the amount i did advance with the SPOUT out? confusing???

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
so your timiing was off? well redo timing and make sure it is good to go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I went out and made sure my plug wires were loking good. Checked park plugs, looking good. I checked my timing. When I first started the engine with the spout in it read almost 14 for timing.I opened the TB up a little and my timing went up as my engine revs. Normal? When I pulled the spout the timing read a little under 12. Oh and what are the disadvantages and advantages to "locked out" timing?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thats the normal timing advance. Your timing advances as the rpms go up. How far did you loosen that bolt on the distributer? If you remove it too far, the distributor can come out and miss a gear. How old is your oxygen sensor? A bad oxygen sensor can make you run rich. Check your fuel pressure regulator as well. You check that by checking fuel pressure. Test it with the vacuum line plugged in and unplugged. And see if it matches the specs in a service manual. Make sure theres no smell of gas where the vacuum line plugs in. Make sure you didn't break any vacuum lines replacing the plugs also. The FPR wouldn't work also if it wasn't getting vacuum. And have you seafoamed lately?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just went and checked the vac lines. All good. What's the easiest way to check fuel pressure? My FPR looks brand new actually and with the distributor, I only loosened it enough to barely be able to turn it. I was thinking about checkin the oxygen sensor but now I'll go do that. How do you know its funked up? Just by it being burnt up or something?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You can test oxygen sensors, but if its old like 60K+ miles on the sensor or its the stock one, just go ahead and replace it. You ll get better fuel mileage. Some people even say after 30K. Fuel Pressure is checked with a Fuel Pressure gauge on the drivers side fuel rail, theres a schrader valve just like the valves on your tires. Relieve the fuel pressure by disconnecting the inerta switch with the engine running so it stalls out. Crank it over a couple times and your good to go. Hook up the pressure gauge and hook the inerta switch back up. Start the engine and check the pressures with the regulator vacuum hose plugged and unplugged. Once your done, don't forget to relieve the fuel pressure again unhooking the pressure gauge or fuel will spew everywhere. Even so, it still does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts