Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched 6R80 cooling and it seems a stand alone cooler is what is being used. The cooling lines are 1/2 inch on a 6R80 and 3/8 on the truck. Performance Automatic is the only company I see that reduces the 1/2 to 3/8. Everyone else recommends a 1/2" stand alone cooler with a fan mounted under the body. Problem is mud under a Bronco. Anyone have experience cooling a 6R80? I was wondering if I could put a large cooler infront of the condenser and bypass the radiator due to the 3/8 fittings? Is there enough room to put a cooler and fan in front? Mine is in pieces and cannot measure the space between the condenser and grill. Probably should have put this in Hillbilly's 6R80 swap thread.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Ok I am going to be updating my original thread with cooler information. It is intensive info and needs to be there.rather than duplicating.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
I wouldn't neck it down to 3/8. having a radiator cooler inline would be ideal but not critical. Id use whatever cooler those trans uses on stock trucks, and if they don't have a thermostatic bypass valve built into the trans install one of those to get the trans heated up quicker.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I wouldn't neck it down to 3/8. having a radiator cooler inline would be ideal but not critical. Id use whatever cooler those trans uses on stock trucks, and if they don't have a thermostatic bypass valve built into the trans install one of those to get the trans heated up quicker.
No you don't want to use the cooler built in to the radiator it is too restrictive and will actually damage the 6R80. Minimum 1/2 line or 8AN size.

6R80 does have a built in thermostat bypass valve internally. It does have a flaw. When It fails it fails in the closed position meaning no coolant getting to the cooler and resulting in a burnt up transmission. Most everyone building these is removing the internal thermostat and using a temperature controlled fan on the cooler. I am covering more details in the update to my original post.

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can the internal bypass be removed through the pan?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Can the internal bypass be removed through the pan?
Yes but you have to go a little deeper than the pan and filter. It is better if the transmission is out and upside down on the bench as there are some parts that might fall out. I have a video that shows how to remove the thermostat. Will be adding it to my cooling post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts