Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a section for this so chose to post this in Nobbie section. If mods think it belongs elsewhere please move it.

I have been considering swapping to a 6R80 6 Speed automatic transmission. Currently my plan was to use a ZF5-47 manual transmission, but behind the modified Big Block Ford I think it's life would be short lived. Besides my old legs and hips just can't handle city driving with a manual transmission. The 6R80 has a double overdrive so engine rpm can be lower at highway cruise speed. Hoping for something around 2000-2500 rpm. First gear is lower than what the C6 or AOD would offer and about the same as the ZF5. The 6R80 torque converter is a lockup style and aftermarket convertors are available with multi-disc lock up.
Gear Ratios:
1st 4.171
2nd 2.344
3rd 1.521
4th 1.143
5th 0.867
6th 0.691
Rev 3.403

These transmissions can be found in a variety of vehicles. No you might not find one in your local Pull-A-Part or LKQ. Salvage yards may want a premium for a late model one.

So far my research has turned up the following donor vehicles. Please correct me if I am wrong.
2009–present Ford F-150
2009–present Ford Expedition
2009-2010 Explorer
2009–present Lincoln Navigator
2009-2010 Mercury Mountaineer
2011-2017 Ford Mustang V6, GT, Ecoboost(15-17)
2011-present Ford Ranger 2.2L, 3.2L
2015-present Ford Transit

Naturally if swapping into a Bronco you would be looking for a 4WD model, but don't worry if you can't find one. You can use a 2WD model with just swapping the tailshaft housing as the output shaft is the same.

Do not think of this transmission as a weak late model transmission. In stock form can easily handle 500-600 HP with a good quality rebuild and improved clutch discs. There are no clutch bands in the 6R80 like the C6 has. It is all handle by clutch to clutch switching.

Now for the bad points.

I guess for most cost is going to be a concern. This is not a cheap swap, expect to spend a minimum of $2500 plus whatever the rebuild cost you.

Currently there is not a transfer case adapter to fit the NP205 transfer cases. I have been in contact with the person that designed the 6R80 to Dana 20 transfer case adapter for Advance Adapters. We have discussed the possibility of designing one for the NP205 transfer case, and he seemed open to the idea.
50-3901 : Ford 6R80 to BRONCO DANA 20 ADAPTER KIT | Advance Adapters

The output shaft of the 6R80 is 31 spline so it will mate directly to the Ford NP205 input. If your transfer case has a different input shaft spline count, the original 31 spline input is no longer available, but a two piece input shaft and gear is available new from Advance Adapters.
716044-F : GEAR-INPUT FORD NP205 31 SPLINE | Advance Adapters

The 6R80 is electronically controlled from the factory ECU. There is a standalone controller available from U.S.Shift that can be used with a carb or EFI engine. These are the same people that offer the controller for the AOD-E.
https://usshift.com/usq6.shtml

You will need a shifter to match the transmission. I haven't seen anyone convert a column shifter for use with the 6R80 so you will need a floor shifter. There are several options out there even from GM. Some of you may recognize the shifter PRNDS or PRDM. I believe it was designed by ZF for Ford and GM. There are variations out there but the assembly is the same just the mount is different. Most likely candidate is from a Mustang or Malibu. Notice the button on the side of the shifter, that is for manually shifting, bump up or down. For those that want to get fancy there are paddle shifters that will work with the controller, but you will still need floor shifter.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/customer_images/product_variation-large_image-1358.jpg

Block adapters are available for either Small Block of Big Block. I would recommend that you also buy the block plate and flexplate from the same source as it may effect fit of torque converter and starter. Some block plates are dual fit, they will work with either automatic or manual trans starter.

You will need an oil cooler adapter to fit the transmission. There are several sources for these. Cooler lines need to be a minimum of 1/2" or -8AN or you will have shift problems because of the cooling circuit design. No reusing your existing 1/4 or 5/16 inch cooler lines.

The 6R80 is considered a sealed for life transmission. There is no way to check trans fluid without placing vehicle on a lift. There is no dipstick. If you would like one, B&M makes a nice sealed locking dipstick that you don't have to worry about puking transfluid out of.
https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/product/bm-22200-transmission-dipstick-locking-for-2010-2017-f-150/

Info and Parts sources:
Designer of transfer case adapter. Also source for salvage swap parts. Builder of the Raptor Bronco and 6R80 swaps in EBs.
https://www.tumblinautomotive.com/

Source for complete trans swap kits and components including block adapters, block plates, flex plates.
Performance Automatic

Top of the line torque converters. Notice I did not say cheap! Hang on to your wallet.
Circle D Specialties. Ford

Transmission parts and swap components.
https://pbhperformance.com/product-category/6r80-transmission/

Transmission components
https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/category/automatic-parts/

Transmission components
https://www.bcawebstore.com/

Paddle Shifter you will still need the floor shifter
Paddle Shifters - Twist Machine

Proof these aren't weak weeny transmissions and expert builder. Not saying you need his billet parts but he does build some great transmissions without his billet parts.
https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-stories/drivetrain/build-6r80-six-speed-autos-7-second-runs-billet-bits/

That is it so far if anyone has anything else to add or question please feel free.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a slush box because the average consumer doesn't want to feel it shift. It was designed to decrease the amount of rpm drop between shifts and feel seamless. With some good programming those shifts can be firmed up. The mechanicals are rugged. I would even say as or more rugged than the C6 transmission. The factory torque rating is actually more than the ZF5.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You put up how much the transmission plus a rebuild would cost, but failed to give an estimated total after parts. With all of the things you listed above, I would say the final cost after install would push $5-6000, right? With the rebuilds I've read about beefing up an E4OD, plus the fact that a C6 is pretty stout, that seems a little steep to me. However, the fact remains that it's your truck, your money, so who am I to say. I just think it's a lot of money to spend when there are very good options for transmissions that are 1. from the generation of the Bronco and 2. are able to do a lot more after a rebuild than they did stock. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@hms79 I can't disagree with you it is an expensive swap. Going full tilt, a package deal minus the transfer case adapter cost around $6700.

The average guy could get by spending a lot less using a low mileage salvage yard trans and torque converter, just do fluid and filter change.
Last time I checked my local LKQ pull a part a transmission and converter was $300.

Biggest cost after that would be the controller with wiring. $1500

The big advantages over a c6 and e4od is the steeper gearing makes for better crawling without having to go big with axle ratio. The double overdrive reduces engine rpm at highway speed saving fuel and engine wear. I haven't run the numbers lately but with 35 inch tires and 3.73 or 4.10 gears you should be able run 65-70 at less than 2500 rpm. The 6r80 offers benefits at both ends.

Don't take me wrong there is nothing wrong with a c6 or zf5 can't speak about e4od as I have never used one. I was just offering an alternative to those that wanted a little something different and doesn't mind scrounging parts.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sure, there is nothing wrong with options, and the newer transmission are probably starting to show up with more frequency in JY's around. My concern was the overall cost, but that's just me. Not everyone will feel that way. Also, I'm a stock guy, just how I've always been. The only trans I ever thought about was the ZF5, aside from what was already in there. I've had a C6, an E4OD and a M5OD, C6 was the best, IMO.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I've been seriously considering this upgrade from my E4OD. What would be the pros/cons of using the transfer case that comes with a 6R80 from a 4WD F-150?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pro is that you have a ready made complete assembly, mechanically makes swap less complicated.

Con and it may not even be one. Transfer case is electrically controlled. Would need to research how to control it. It maybe something simple as just using the factory switch and wiring. You might have to come up with some type of mount to support the transfer case.

I am not sure what transfer case they are using now or even how strong it is. It must be fairly strong considering some of the horsepower they are making. I would think it would be fine with a basically stock motor Bronco.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Performance Automatic sells both the adapter (block plate) and a torque converter adapter (p/n 732-PA68509) to enable using the stock converter from the F-150 6R80. This would safe some money, although the total cost still adds up pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I had been looking to see if an adapter for the torque converter was necessary considering the thickness of the block adapter pieces. PA68509 are extenders that screw on to the torque converter studs to extend the length and also includes a spacer for the pilot. Without this, the torque converter will not engage into the transmission.

The block adapter is not really a plate but machined pieces that adapter the block with a blockplate to the transmission bellhousing. This allows keeping proper alignment with the starter and flexplate while adapting the to the transmission bellhousing.

Basically you are moving everything from the block plate and flex plate back 1/2 inch. This is because of the adapter thickness.

Small Block Block Plate:

Big Block Block Plate:

Notice two set of starter mounting holes on the plates. This allows use of either an automatic or manual starter.

Small Block Adapter Big Block is similar with different shape to fit block bolt pattern.

Torque Converter Adapter I know this one is for Small Block but not for sure if it is also used on Big Block

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,657 Posts
Yo HB,
I'll move this vg thread to 1980-'96 Bronco Tech section. It will fit in well there.
Al

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!

I have been researching shifter options this week. Great news for those with AODE or 4R70w transmissions. You can use your existing shifters. You will need a different transmission shitlever and a stop bracket to prevent the shifter from going past PRND2, with "2" becoming "S" mode or manual.
https://pbhperformance.com/shop/pbh-6r80-shift-lever/

Here is the stop bracket Mustang guys use but don't think it will work for our purpose.
https://pbhperformance.com/shop/pbh-6r80-shifter-stop-bracket/

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sure like the 6R80 idea
If you like that idea just hold on to your hat. 2019 looks like a standalone controller will exist for the 10R80. The controller is in beta right now and has been in several test vehicles. I haven't gotten dimensions on overall length difference between the 6R80 and the 10R80 but it will still bolt to engine using same adapters.

I did find out that for easiest conversion for a Bronco, is to use a transmission from a 4wd as the output shaft is different length from 2wd and 4wd. A 2wd transmission can be converted but requires extra parts besides the output shaft.
Here is a parts break down of the 6R80:
https://www.wittrans.com/parts?type=6R80

Some facts and ratio chart for the 10R80:
Ford 10R80 10 Speed Transmission Specs & Ratios

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Came across this video while researching the 10R80 swap. Distance from front of bellhousing to the trans mount appears to be the same. Now in the 2wd version of the trans he mentions the drive flange is 1 inch further back with the 10R80 than the 6R80. Do not know if this will mean the transfer case is 1 inch further back.

Also there appears to be two different starters on the later 10R80. The standard Mod motor uses a 3 bolt flange the later trucks use a 2 bolt pattern with a larger starter gear. The block plate is different with the 2 bolt pattern and is one piece with no inspection cover. To install the converter bolts there is a rubber access plug on the Mod Motor. The trans adapter kits will NOT work with 10R80 that has the 2 bolt starter pattern as there is no way to install converter bolts.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
With the Performance Automatic adapter to a SBF, neither of the 6R80 or 10R80 starter positions are usable. The SBF starter attaches to the adapter and the bellhousing has to be 'trimmed' away to clear as necessary.
I'm guessing the block plate could be modified to permit torque converter bolt access.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct! Performance Automatic does offer the correct block plate for SBF and BBF that uses the C4 C6 type starter. Also it includes a removable inspection plate so installing torque converter should be no trouble. Since bellhousing pattern is the same for 6R80 and 10R80 the 10R80 should bolt up with the correct bolts.

One problem that would have to be addressed is the 0.100 inch difference in torque converter position. Maybe PA will offer a different spacer for 10R80.

So if you use the PA adapter you can use whatever 10R80 you can find. No worries over which starter it used or blockplate. I will try to call PA next week if they are open after Christmas, to discuss flex plate solutions for 10R80. Maybe need to talk to Circle D about torque converter options for 10R80.

If you find a 10R80 in your local LKQ pull a part it will probably be very low miles. All it would need is a fluid and filter change. Very good option considering 6R80 and 10R80 will cost you the same.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No sorry an SN95 PCM will not control the 6R80 or 10R80. You should see the hoops the late model Mustang guys have to jump thru to convert from stick to auto. Instrument cluster, ABS module, power brake booster, shifter. A whole list of items they have to replace or reprogram because everything is networked over CAN Bus. To reprogram the ECUs they have to have a vin # of an automatic car just like theirs. The swap is very popular with them too. When you compare stock manual vs stock auto the auto can handle more power.

But guess what their are more wrecked automatic Trucks than Mustangs in the salvage yard. I don't know the ratio of 2wd vs 4wd trucks but imagine 2wd to be more common. Mustang guys would rather not have a truck transmission as the shifter cable attaches different. Truck comes from the rear of trans towards the front Mustangs come from the front to the rear. The cable brackets are different and Mustang trans does not have the bosses on the side of the case for truck cable. If you converted a Mustang trans to 4wd you would need a cable bracket from Performance Automatic that bolts to the pan rail.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts