Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I was looking back on some of these videos, and put together a little recap covering 2021.

Going forward, I'm looking to focus on drivability issues and finally getting this thing on the road. I'm not sure in what order it'll be, but I'm looking to cover:
Improving Brakes (AKA Installing a proportioning valve)
Improving steering by removing my wonkey bent track bar and steering linkage. I also need to install an overflow and cooler for the power steering system.
Finishing up some of the body work. (Needs to look good if I'm driving it around)
Add the second anti-wrap bar in the rear to try and get the truck to sit level.
Rebuild the transmission because I'm pretty sure I semi-smoked it the first trip out.
Build a set of sliders (Not really a drivability issue, but I do want to get it done)
Lastly, install my pod speakers to really finish out the stereo.

It looks like it'll be a busy winter!!

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not so much of a build update, but I finally got to take the Bronco out in some snow. Whenever I go out actual snow wheeling, I'll definitely have to air down the tires quite a bit. Also, I should probably look into some fuel treatment and a stronger setup for my spare.

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looks like fun, im hoping to get mine out in the snow this winter too.
It was! Now I've got to find a bigger spot to go play on.

As for your truck, I'm happy you got your motor issues figured out. Think you'll be at the Round Up this year?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,160 Posts
Thanks dude! Its been a big ordeal, but i finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ive already requested that week off from work, so you better be ready for some wheelin :cool:

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks dude! Its been a big ordeal, but i finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ive already requested that week off from work, so you better be ready for some wheelin :cool:
I can’t wait to see these two huge Broncos out on the trail together.

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That was enough playing in the snow, now it's time to get back to wrenching. Nothing too crazy, but I did work on some of the creature comforts of the truck. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and hopefully this weekend I'll get around to modifying the old anti wrap bar, and installing the second one.

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
897 Posts
Oh man, that 7.3 is loud. Glad you were able to get a muffler on it, nice work.

Your "to-do" list reminds me of mine, never ending list of projects, tweaks and wish list items.

Love your truck, thanks for posting the videos!

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh man, that 7.3 is loud. Glad you were able to get a muffler on it, nice work.

Your "to-do" list reminds me of mine, never ending list of projects, tweaks and wish list items.

Love your truck, thanks for posting the videos!
Thanks for all the support!! And yeah, I thought once the truck was together the list would shorten up drastically; WRONG. What changed was how detailed each list item is. It went from "put body on frame", "install interior", "get truck to run" to more detailed tweaks and upgrades like you mentioned. It keeps you busy, and I enjoy, so I guess that's what matters.

What is painful though is how quickly the money can add up. I was going through what I wanted to change in the front suspension, and it spiraled out of control quickly. It started at wanting to move the front axle forward slightly, machining my knuckle so I can go to high steer, and swapping to a straight track bar, and it quickly had me thinking "I should swap in chromoly axle shafts since I'm this far in", and then "might as well do an ARB at the same time".... It becomes a few thousand dollars in parts scary quick. I'll wait to pull the trigger on all of that until some of the other items are off the list I think...

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
897 Posts
Thanks for all the support!! And yeah, I thought once the truck was together the list would shorten up drastically; WRONG. What changed was how detailed each list item is. It went from "put body on frame", "install interior", "get truck to run" to more detailed tweaks and upgrades like you mentioned. It keeps you busy, and I enjoy, so I guess that's what matters.

What is painful though is how quickly the money can add up. I was going through what I wanted to change in the front suspension, and it spiraled out of control quickly. It started at wanting to move the front axle forward slightly, machining my knuckle so I can go to high steer, and swapping to a straight track bar, and it quickly had me thinking "I should swap in chromoly axle shafts since I'm this far in", and then "might as well do an ARB at the same time".... It becomes a few thousand dollars in parts scary quick. I'll wait to pull the trigger on all of that until some of the other items are off the list I think...
Not to derail you thread too much, but when I decided to go SAS, I took the plunge and went "all in". I decided I am not going to regret not getting x, y or z for this build. I know you what I am talking about, you took it to the extreme with a frame off approach, which is bad a$$!! The ARB will mission creep to needing OBA, and that will creep into "might as well plumb in some air up stations and tool hooks ups", which will spiral to I need a tank for all that.. (lol) I never answer the "how much did that setup cost you" question. They are always fishing to poo poo my decisions, or tell me how the could have done the same thing for way less $$..

I love my high steer, it was the perfect solution for my big lift setup. My coil overs are super flexy and it scary to drive above 60mph. I have a Helwig rear sway bar on the way right to hopefully help with that. I'll figure out a quick disconnect, leave them on, or just unbolt them if I need the extra flex. If that doesn't fix it, I will move to fabing a front sway bar. 90% of this trucks time is spent on pavement. I decided to wait on the chromoly axle shafts and stick with the stock ones. At some point, you want your weakest link to be something easy and cheap to replace. The ARB designed their carrier with the shaft in mind for that. I'd hate to redirect the weak link back to the ARB.. ($$). Having said that, you have way more power and way bigger tires than me, so you may need them.

Again love love love your build and appreciate all the time you take to put the videos together! I have to keep reminding myself to remember to snap pictures at the right time.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,160 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that ARB; I've broken lots of D60 parts and the ARB doesn't care at all.

If it was me spending your money I'd do the highsteer first. Handling is #1; it's no fun to drive if it's no fun to drive, if you know what I mean.

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not to derail you thread too much, but when I decided to go SAS, I took the plunge and went "all in". I decided I am not going to regret not getting x, y or z for this build. I know you what I am talking about, you took it to the extreme with a frame off approach, which is bad a$$!! The ARB will mission creep to needing OBA, and that will creep into "might as well plumb in some air up stations and tool hooks ups", which will spiral to I need a tank for all that.. (lol) I never answer the "how much did that setup cost you" question. They are always fishing to poo poo my decisions, or tell me how the could have done the same thing for way less $$..

I know all about the mission creep. This whole diesel build started out with the original gasser Bronco needing an exhaust. I knew if I did an exhaust, I'd probably put new headers on too, but that'd result in me breaking exhaust manifold bolts, so I might as well build a new engine and just swap the whole thing out at once, since the original engine had a lot of miles. What I settled on was a 393W (had the stroker kit, a MAF 351W, Edlebrock intake, aluminum heads, etc), and I thought let me just build a new E4OD and stab it in at the same time. Just about when I was going to pull the trigger on getting the block machined, my dad called me one day and asked my thoughts on a diesel swap, that his coworker had one for cheap, and I thought it'd be a sweet idea. Luckily, I was able to sell all my gasser parts and break even, but that exhaust leak led me down the rabbit hole of building an entire new drivetrain.

I used to part out a lot of trucks, so it got rough at times because I had so many parts available it gave me a lot of ideas. At one point I had a second body and I nearly built the diesel Bronco as a second Bronco, but reality eventually struck, and I came to my senses on how many lifted Broncos do I really need/can maintain.

The funny part is, I took so long with the diesel build, I ended up needing to put that exhaust on the gasser Bronco in the mean time.

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about that ARB; I've broken lots of D60 parts and the ARB doesn't care at all.

If it was me spending your money I'd do the highsteer first. Handling is #1; it's no fun to drive if it's no fun to drive, if you know what I mean.
You're definitely correct on this. The ARB would be cool, but how often do you really need something like that, compared to how often you're on the road and would like decent street manners.

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
First time actually out snow wheeling, and had a blast. Even when the Bronco was a gasser, I never had an opportunity to take it out on trails in the snow. I wish I was able to get some more video, but my co pilot had something come up and needed to take a rain check at the last minute.

Also, this trip was the last bit of justification I needed for a front locker. I now have an ARB on the way!

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Time for a front end revamp. I have a handful of upgrades that I started to install on my front end, as well as a few suspension/steering tweaks that should dial it in. Shouldn’t be long now, and it’ll be all back together and ready for some testing.

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Not directly build related, but we took my dad's '70 out for a little bit of wheeling with a local club, and I thought you guys would appreciate seeing that. There's some cool obstacles that I'd like to try with my Bronco. Now he's itching to install the ARB in the front end I found on FB marketplace, and he's starting to kick around the idea of going to EFI. His carb doesn't particularly like steep angles.

·
FSM Lifetime
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey Guys, I went out this past weekend with OX1 and Reptillikus, and had an absolute blast at Rausch Creek. We pushed the trucks pretty hard, and covered a lot of ground. Below is the link to the full trip report:

As for my truck, all the recent mods seem to have worked great. The ARB made a world of difference, and I'd recommend a front locker to anyone considering it. Also, I haven't had a chance to show the high steer setup yet, the new transfercase mount, or relocated front end, but you can see a bit of it below. I'll show them in more in detail when I cover trail damage from the trip, and speaking of damage, it's time I finally rebuild the tranny... Put the final nail in that coffin this trip.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts