Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've gone halfsies on a pair of trucks with a friend of mine. One is his which we wanted to sell and the other one is mine. Both are 7.3 IDI 5 speed trucks. Now onto my problems. The one my buddy owns smokes awful white/grey smoke that reeks of raw diesel. Doesn't appear to be losing coolant.

When we got it I pulled the injectors, 7/8 were bad. So we put a reman set in. Starts 10X easier but still smokes a crazy amount. Pulled all the glowplugs and only 1 was bad. Compression tested it, all good there. I replaced all the return lines and caps on the injectors. I even replaced a couple of the lines with clear tubing to try and isolate leaks/air intrusion. The truck starts super easy now, has compression and has pretty good power but just wont stop smoking. We pulled the valve covers off looking for a broken valve / rocker arm and nothing. We also ran the truck for about 10 minutes off a jug of clean diesel.

I tried advancing and retarding the injection timing and that makes no difference. I also turned the fuel down and am just running out of ideas with this truck. The easy starts cold/hot lead me to not suspect the injection pump but I guess it could be. It does backfire/pop at high rpm sometimes. I'm going to swap injection pumps this coming weekend because I can't think of anything else.

If someone has an idea that Isn't covered here that would be great.

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
233 Posts
Im going to be honest, i wish i could help you out im just not well versed in diesels. I would recommend going to a diesel engines forum. (Seriously not trying to be rude at all im just trying to point you to the fastest solution.) Seeing as how this has 60 views and has been here for 24 hours.
Do you think it could be a coolant leak? Maybe like head gasket?

·
Registered
1996 bronco, 351w, E4od
233 Posts
Im going to be honest, i wish i could help you out im just not well versed in diesels. I would recommend going to a diesel engines forum. (Seriously not trying to be rude at all im just trying to point you to the fastest solution.) Seeing as how this has 60 views and has been here for 24 hours.
Do you think it could be a coolant leak? Maybe like head gasket?
Maybe an oil control ring on the piston?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Burning oil is my guess. they don't call em oil burners for nothin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.