Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a go, im putting a diesel in the 85 XLT ASAP.

Wondering which diesel to weld in?

Im looking for fuel millage and mudding,pulling power!

Let me know!!!

·
gone fish'n
23,567 Posts
just a side question, are you planning on axle upgrades?

·
Engineer
13,168 Posts
cummins 12v and 1-tons

·
gone fish'n
23,567 Posts
low HP? diesels can easly make 350-400 hp and double that in TQ.

why wouldn't they work?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I say go for a Cummins too. You had better upgrade your axles. Diesel may be heavier, but the power is insane.

·
Engineer
13,168 Posts
I didnt think a diesel would be well suited to mudding. Nose heavy and low hp.
Just like anything else it has to be geared right to work well

·
Registered
904 Posts
forget about hp, a 7.3 turbocharged powerstroke will make equal hp to a 351w, but it will also make about 415ft/lbs stock. That is what matters. As already mentioned, if you reallyneed all that excessive wheel spin to clear the tires then there will be no issue at all.

a diesel is SUPERIOR to gasoline engines for a wheeling application imo.

and why do a 12v cummins? as stated in your title, get a 7.3 powerstroke out of (i believe) 95-99ish F-series.

Kenika, i mean this in a completely uninsulting way, but are you sure you are capable of this? Usually if someone is giong to do something like this they arent asking questions.

i mean, you arent just going to be welding this thing in, its going to take a good deal of wiring prowess and a good deal of shoe horning to get it to fit correctly.

as alraedy stated, a diesel is usually going to weigh abuot a half ton, so your front end if going to need stiffer springs. Your stock half ton axles will probably shit the bed in no time behind all that power in a "mudding" situation. you will also need a new transmission...

etc etc etc. this is not going to be easy by any means.

Dont get me wrong though, i am rooting for you 100% as this is something that i really want to see done, im just not sure if you are sure of what you are really proposing.

·
gone fish'n
23,567 Posts
Will there be a problem spinning the tires fast enough to clean them out? Or with that much HP can you just use a higher gear to make up for the low redline RPMs?
no problems spinning tires. just gear it right and you will have fun

·
Registered
223 Posts
i think a 12 valve cummins would be awesome

wiring wouldnt be to crazy cause on the old 12 valves most everything on them is mechanical

·
Registered
40 Posts
i recommend a 99.5-03 powerstroke has the better turbo, ic, and intake setup. i put one in my 80 bronco and love it. i have a manual so theres no issue for cleaning the tires. stock to stock the diesel has more hp and torque than the gas and takes performance upgrades better.

·
Registered
904 Posts
pa444, there is an enormous amount of interest in this type of project, any chance of you doing a write up on this?

my interest stems from my desire to throw one in my bronco. Theres a jeep that has a 6cyl diesel in it that is unbelievably powerful, and its not evena turbo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah. how detailed should i make it? if i do p/n and wiring it might take me awhile to put one together. was thinking about making a little book about the swap. wasnt sure if there is that much interest in doing the swap.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
yeah. how detailed should i make it? if i do p/n and wiring it might take me awhile to put one together. was thinking about making a little book about the swap. wasnt sure if there is that much interest in doing the swap.
There's lots of interest. Even for people that don't want to do it, most at least would be interested in seeing how somebody did. As for me I want to but probably don't have the funds anytime soon let alone the time and skill. A write-up would go a long way though. :thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just want to throw my 2 cents in here cause I feel a few (*key*) points have to be addressed if even considering this swap.
You will need to box or stiffen the entire frame (front to rear). A diesel makes a ridiculus amount of power down low in the revs and the torque is more than enough to do real damage to the (relatively) weak bronco frame. 1 ton axles are must or you will be replacing parts more than your driving.

As far as what to use I suggest a turbo or non turbo 7.3. they are easier to find and cheaper than cummins and are still a damn good engine (not a cummins but decent).

buy the entire donor truck and start at the rear and work forward replacing axles, springs, fuel tank and lines, and crossmembers as you work forward and then finalize with the engine and tranny. Its gonna be a rpita but I think it will be worth the effort with the final product.

have fun and good luck.

one side note to keep in mind is that every manufacturer is in the process of building a 1/2 ton diesel that meets the current standards for emissions that should be on the market in the next year or two. These wont be great for a swap for a couple years but once that pass the "break in" period they will start showing up in wrecked trucks that are ideal for swaps. These motors will be smaller and lighter and require less frame/body modification, but will require an A+ level wiring knowhow

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think Bronco Drive Mag is planning on a 7.3 swap or were last copy I got. I think the Cummins would be great as well just go for 60's in either case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i didnt box or stiffen the frame at all. the diesel is strong but not that strong not to me anyway. maybe if you were rock crawling but you would need to stiffen it up anyway. you have to change axles even w/a gas. i was breaking stuff w/a 302. i used the same fuel tank thats the little stuff anyway haha.
i gotta put together a write-up its not as bad as you think. an idi turbo 7.3 would be a lot easier and might even be better for the mud cause theres no electronics. it would have to be a turbo though. i wouldnt waist the time doing all that work and then wanting a turbo later. it would be a lot cheaper. i spent a lot of money just on the harness. i think the cummins would be a lot more work its so dang long. with the 7.3 you can use factory motor mounts theres no welding needed. i could go on and on. ill try and get the write up done for ya.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts