Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my dream bronco and can't afford to drive it other than a few miles at a time. it has a rebuilt 400 and carb and works fine but man does it suck up the fuel!

I have several 7.3 powerstroke engines ready to use and 1 good used 4r100 ready to go. was hoping someone has done this swap and might have some underhood pics to share or maybe some info on it.

background on usage: will be used for onroad purposes only,
stock height
will get regular trailer towing duties
will be driven to work occasionally
8bolt front brake conversion planned
dana 70 powerlock rear planned.
Max tire size will be 33" no lift preferred
old school 8 bolt aluminum slots :thumbup

yes I have done some searching, lots of cummins conversions but I've always liked the 7.3 powerstroke reliability and longevity, towing power, fuel economy, low maintenance costs......................

thanks in advance for any info and or pics.
compression ignition rules ;)

Attachments

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,210 Posts
Search this sight and the web, it has been done.
I found Powerstrokes in 80+, and Cummins in 78-9 but I could not find a single thread on FSB of a Powerstroke put into a dentside. Mentions of it, but no build thread at all.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,169 Posts
Nothing directly related but this may help.
diesel swap links

I assume you have the whole wiring harness and the correct computer to run that 4r100? Otherwise, you will be in a world of hurt. I think a turbo idi would be a better choice in that particular rig

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing directly related but this may help.
diesel swap links

I assume you have the whole wiring harness and the correct computer to run that 4r100? Otherwise, you will be in a world of hurt. I think a turbo idi would be a better choice in that particular rig
my driver is a 2003 E350 7.3 powerstroke 4R100 ready to roll 500,000km
have 3 parts vans for it, have only used the basic parts off one of them like a starter/alt/vac pump. 1999 E450 cube with the 4wd/driveshaft park brake 4r100 trans 270,000km , 2003 E350 cargo 230,000km blown 4r100 no starter/alt/vac pump runs minty!
and a 2003 E350 cargo with 200,000 miles on it that's runs and drives great but was hauling heavy truck parts and body is completely destroyed.

I will probably use a van wiring harness /gauges for the engine/trans but have seen a few guys doing stand alone harness' but I can't remember where I saw them.

idi 7.3 is simple install but I have a lot of faith in the powerstroke and have enough parts to keep one going long after I'm gone:twak
:thumbup

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,169 Posts
With that many psd vehicles you should be golden with the install. I've always had good luck over at thedieselstop.com for diesel questions when i had my psd. I have future plans of an idi in my 78f150 ranger, but they are a ways down the road

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my friend is quite reluctant to do the swap (starting to put me off :whiteflag )with all the firewall mods needed and changes from its stock form. I could probably talk him into a ZF 5spd conversion a lot easier :shrug .

I think it will get left until the winter when the bronco is off the road and I will tackle it without his help. no loss of enjoyment this way. this summer is getting pretty crowded with the kids out of school and they are on my ass about riding in Dad's convertible.

wife will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers so I have lots of years left for the conversion. :thumbup

EDIT:
oh yeah: picking up another 7.3 powerstroke on sunday. 2001 E450 cubevan 188,000km with lots of idling hours on it. experiencing some trans issues but have cleared up since they transferred all their tools and supplies to the new van. I was looking for a storage vehicle that's mobile and this one jumped in front of the train at $650 , runs and drives> boss loaned me the dealer plate to drive it the 1 hour trip home> all rural secondary paved roads. it even has a 1 yr old FORD oil pan on it. wish I could find our camera :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have my dream bronco and can't afford to drive it other than a few miles at a time.
Given this, I don't see enough offset to the fuel cost.

And...

background on usage: will be used for onroad purposes only,
stock height
will get regular trailer towing duties
will be driven to work occasionally
8bolt front brake conversion planned
dana 70 powerlock rear planned.
Affording to drive the miles...if you pocket these costs, you pay for the fuel.

I'm being rudely generic, but paying the fuel over time is similar to paying the up-front cost. I can buy a car for $20k NOW, or make payments on it for a while...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Given this, I don't see enough offset to the fuel cost.

And...

Affording to drive the miles...if you pocket these costs, you pay for the fuel.

I'm being rudely generic, but paying the fuel over time is similar to paying the up-front cost. I can buy a car for $20k NOW, or make payments on it for a while...

what?

400 V8 8-10mpg vs 7.3 powerstroke 20-25mpg.
diesel is cheaper than gas here in the summer, 89-95cents/litre compared to 1.00-1.15/litre for 87 , 400 seems to like 91 or higher octane so 1.30-1.40/litre.
won't take long to recover my work with fuel economy savings.
400 can pull the bronco around , 7.3 powerstroke can pull bronco and 10,000lbs behind it if I feel like it.
have all the 7.3 powerstroke parts I can handle.

I'm saving the $$$ and doing the swap myself in the offseason.

planning on keeping this bronco LONG term.

why do you keep your bronco?

·
Registered
414 Posts
what?

400 V8 8-10mpg vs 7.3 powerstroke 20-25mpg.
diesel is cheaper than gas here in the summer, 89-95cents/litre compared to 1.00-1.15/litre for 87 , 400 seems to like 91 or higher octane so 1.30-1.40/litre.
won't take long to recover my work with fuel economy savings.
400 can pull the bronco around , 7.3 powerstroke can pull bronco and 10,000lbs behind it if I feel like it.
have all the 7.3 powerstroke parts I can handle.

I'm saving the $$$ and doing the swap myself in the offseason.

planning on keeping this bronco LONG term.

why do you keep your bronco?

To each his own then.

I keep mine because I like it. When I was building the engine, I bought another one just to have one to drive until I got done.

For larger loads, I use my truck though. I personally don't have a use or desire for a Bronco to be able to haul a large load.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,169 Posts
Hard telling, he hasn't visited this site in over a year

·
Addicted to Junk
11,169 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haven't done the swap , but haven't driven it much either. shows ,cruise nights. couple drives to work. maybe 800 miles in the last 2 yrs cost me aprox 68cents/mile as it is. Canadian funds

I've been thinking about a 7.3 idi conversion with an E4OD, maybe a turbo installed later. the 400 can't break 10mpg even with a feather foot. at 1.45-1.60 a litre for 91+ octane it will get a conversion to diesel , but I'm not interested in doing a bodylift or chopping into my firewall or AC box , so the powerstroke idea is out.

My 03 powerstroke van was retired at aprox 550,000 km when a tank of bad fuel ruined some parts, but I'm driving a 96 F250 SC shortbed 2wd with 370,000 miles on a 7.3 powerstroke E4OD for last 2 months now . it only costs me aprox 23cents/mile to drive.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I commute to work on a motorcycle. Rocking about 50-75 mpg depending on which fuel injected ride I decide to roll into work on. This allows me to justify driving my '79 Bronco on the odd occasion. Lifted, large tires, the aero profile of a small apartment... efficiency is hard work for the old Ford. Although, I do manage to eek out about 12-15 mpg with my 8.5:1 compression 400 with multiport fuel injection and a ZF 5-speed backing it up. I manage to run regular 87 octane pump swill, no issues there, but I'm not high compression and I checked my quench height when setting up the motor, so I'm even able to run the piss from down south of the border!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like you have an IDI in a Centurion as well, so I gather you know what your doing. Just thought I'd toss out the idea of reworking the 400. I'm by no means anti-diesel, but rework the 400 and it should be capable of mid teens.

·
Registered
757 Posts
One of the things that turned me off of the diesel conversion was the weight of the engine. The Cummins 4BT however, is an approximate match in weight for the Ford 400.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts