Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my Ranger and getting a diesel. My buddy sold his F-250 and now I have no way to get my bronco to the trail.

My question is does anybody have a tuner for a 95 7.3?

I can get a good deal on the truck but want to use a tuner in it for the
advantage of multiple settings.

I'm looking at the edge, Bullydog, etc and they say they fit a 94-03 7.3 but from what I can tell they all connect with the obd2 plug. Did Ford start using obd2 earlier then others?(required on 96 and newer) or do the tuners come with multiple plugs?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I know its a non-bronco question but I don't want to join another forum for 1 question, maybe once i get the truck I will.

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Get customs tunes.

Obd2 started in 94 or so I think. So it should use the obd2 port.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
all the "powerstrokes" had an obd2 plug. It wasn't mandatory till 96 thou. Most companies began adding it earlier thou...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm looking at the edge, Bullydog, etc and they say they fit a 94-03 7.3 but from what I can tell they all connect with the obd2 plug. Did Ford start using obd2 earlier then others?(required on 96 and newer) or do the tuners come with multiple plugs?
They have an OBDII plug , but , its not OBDII on the diesels. The canned tunes you are referring to do install there, but, I wouldnt reccomend any of them. You can get better tunes from a custom tuner and probably cheaper. There are several out there. Before getting a tuner you need to do some supporting mods like at least intake and exhaust. Probably a pyro as well to keep from cooking something down if you are going to tow with it. Check out Powerstroke Army or Ford Diesel power forums. Ford Truck Enthusiasts has a pretty good powerstroke forum too. You can get a custom tuner battle started those threads always go haywire and sometimes get locked. Good luck!

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Custom. Custom. Custom. I think holderdown diesel performance is located in Wisconsin? Could be wrong. Either way. Find yourself a good diesel performance shop and make friends with them

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses. I'm just looking for the chip for economy mode. will be doing towing with it but not an everyday thing. I'm aware i chould upgrade the downpipe, exhaust, and intake anyways. What do you mean by custom programs? I'm new to diesel performance.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
again, go to a place like left coast diesel/toxic diesel/ alligator diesel performance... any custom diesel performance shop, and ask them to tune it for you and tell them what you want

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Dp tuner f5 is what i use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i'll have to start searching. Got a chance at a differant 96 7.3l 5 speed that i think I'm gonna jump on if all goes well. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I just use the Edge Evolution programmer. Not really a "tuner" because you can't change anything on the fly, but it works well, stiffens up the transmission a lot, makes it shift firmer and quicker, and gives it a good amount more power. Most important is that you upgrade the exhaust (including down pipe), go with at least 4 inch. I think the largest down pipe you can get is 3", and its a PITA to get it to fit but it will fit. That will make your EGT's go down A LOT. Crucial upgrade. Next would be upgrade the intake, I'd stay away from the K&N and others like it. Get a 6637 (napa) open element paper filter and make your own intake, all you need is a small bit of PVC and you can use the stock intake tube. Just clamp the filter on and your good. You can also get pre-filters for it as well to make the filter last longer.

The Edge Evolution has 3 settings, 60hp, 80hp, and 100hp. I always use the 60hp, which is what they call "tow". Gives it plenty of power, no it wont smoke like crazy on that setting but will smoke a bit if you get on it. But I think by the sounds of it you want a diesel for the right reasons and not just to race around in it. I'm kind of a hypocrite because I don't tow or haul often, but I don't beat the piss out of it and I don't rice it out and put stacks and shit on it either.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
If you wand good tunes, then go to DP Tuners or Swamps Diesel performance. Hands down, theyre two of the best in the country. Dont bother with anything like BullyDog or Edge, Bank, etc, go straight to the good guys, the difference is night & day. You really should do the intake & exhaust tho, itll help ya get more power w/o having to worry about the turbo as much.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If you wand good tunes, then go to DP Tuners or Swamps Diesel performance. Hands down, theyre two of the best in the country. Dont bother with anything like BullyDog or Edge, Bank, etc, go straight to the good guys, the difference is night & day. You really should do the intake & exhaust tho, itll help ya get more power w/o having to worry about the turbo as much.
Whats wrong with Edge?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
Nothing i suppose, but its just a generic tune designed to fit every single truck in the world. A buddy has an Edge in his truck and its nice, but it doesnt compare to my Swamps tunes.
Someone like DP or Swamps (or many others), takes your individual PCM code, as well as a list of all the mods youve done to the truck, and writes programs based off this personal information to ensure you get the most performance out of them. Let me tell you what, Swamps does one hell of a good job too. Not only do they write some great power tunes, but each program has a different transmission shift strategy based upon the end goal for that tune (power/econ/tow/race) which are actually all quite clever. My tow tune holds shifts to keep my boost up, and then adjust the downshifts on deceleration to use the engines compression to assist in braking. They also try to limit the amount of boost it builds (that tune seems to peak around 26 or so) to keep EGTs manageable, as well as lessen the risk of tearing the motor/trans up. Whereas some of my other tunes will peg the needle on my boost gauge (35+) :eek:
They even succeeded in tuning the way the throttle pedal sensor works and i now have a more smooth power band off idle, smoother than what i had from Ford. Combine that with their injectors & IDM, and ive got everything from stock to flat out insanity. I fear for the life of my transmission :toothless

1 - 13 of 13 Posts