Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
73-79 dash install(in an 81)(4 new pics pg 3)

Im starting a write up right here for installing a metal, simple, relatively good looking dash board in an 80s bronk. So far I know that the dashes are the same length (64") the "new" dash pad only goes back about 6" and the rest is sheet metal that is part of the body of the old truck so I have to make up a sheet metal peice to bridge the gap with holes for the defrost(very important in the north) and the center speaker. The steering wheel shaft is a lot wider, shouldnt be any problem to make the hole bigger with tin snips and a dremmel.

Im removing/re wiring everything!!! My inline fuzes for things like fuel pump, electric fans are now gonna be in the fuze box for any terminals that I dont need after cutting it all out. I will take a ton of pics. this will be the 4th time re wiring everything that makes my truck run/and or charge, but first for things like lights, horn and everything else under there. I left the original gauge cluster in the truck(on the floor) Im getting an auto meter 120 MPH mechanical to put in, etc.

also the engine bay contains the stub of the fan motor, and the heater core hose in/outlets.

pics of what I got so far.

removing 74 F100 dash pics

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well I ordered some gauges. Im not ripping into the dash till I get them, so ill probably be starting this weekend.

Thats the oil gauge, I also bought fuel level, water 120-240, volts 8-18,
total cost 248 bucks shipped 4-5 days.

brings the total cost up to 288 and I dont have a tach yet(wanted to wait to see how big of one I can fit, or if im gonna put it on the dash pad(outside instrument cluster)

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
that's gonna look real good once you git it put in there! :beer

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a little more work the last couple of days. I got indicator lights, blue, red, orange and 2 greens. I got an hour meter. I just picked up a steering wheel. Now the only thing I know of that I need is a tach. all the ones in Checker had the recall and where 110 bucks or more. I dont need no stupid recall.... I just know it didnt go over 6 grand!

Heres a bunch of pics of the "new" dash, what made me justify the new dash, I need to get a pic of the A/C-fan box in the engine bay now cuz thats the most important reason for the swap.

kind of gross in that pic, but I put some conditioner stuff on it shortly after the pic, it looks pretty much perfect for a 29 year old dash pad.

ok what do yall suggest.... speedo in original location(left) or in the middle with 2 gauges in left, and 2 in right??

I dont see how I can live with something that tacky!!

went shoppin.....

Sanding... keep in mind where the ash tray used to be is gonna be flat sheet metal and the original ignition switch is gonna be where the fuel pump switch is gonna go

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Looks to be coming along very well. A suggestion....

Dont mount the tach on the pad...that looks way tacky. Find a nice tach that is constrasting with the ones you already oredered....Or, Maybe even a digital one with a black-out screen. That way, Its accurate, Funtional, Looks good....And Isnt protruding in your line of sight with wires out of the back

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
cut out those 2 bars and build a plate so you can mount stuff like mine. speedo on the left, tach middle, little stuff on the right

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea with cutting the bars. Do you have 2 1/8 fuel, volts, temp etc. Ryan???

Well if was gonna put it on the pad I would actually do a good clean job and it would have one black wire... as they come with a black rubber sheeth around all 4 wires usually. But I think im gonna cut the black bars. each section is 3 7/8x 5 3/8 with a 3/4 bar

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

what else I did this weekend... more pics under Sept pics in superford(you can get to it from the link in this thread^^)

this pic doesnt give the color or the job I did spraying it any justice.('02 Twilight blue metalic)

I dont know if you can tell but the pants im wearing in this pic are normally green, black, tan, and brown.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3 3/4 silver 0-8 or 10K havent made up my mind, no recall, no shift light on the dash pad. Keep in mind a dash pad from 74 has metal under side... so it will mount real solid and it will look real nice with the dash out so I can do a clean install.

Yours looks nice... but it will be hard to get past the color/paint job of mine!

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I drove home from work and enjoyed every second of it... even got some chicks diggin on my truck as I was going down Main St. The look on the drivers face was classic...

Dont have a steering wheel or a seat in my truck any more... well theres a few more things missing.

did this yesterday after about 2 hours with a dremmel trying to make a 2" hole 2 1/8, a 2 1/2" hole 2 5/8"

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I used the dremel to make all the holes and detail work. I tryed a hole saw, but it shattered the pelxiglass into pieces

I painted it from behind to give it the super gloss look

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No more bolts!!

This doesnt scare me at all. Not one little bit... this is gonna be EZ!

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fireguy50 said:
What is this the 4th re-wire?

I'll have to pull the dash when I swap bodies :banghead
yes but the good news is it should be the 4th and last for everything but the actual charging system. When I get a big alt I will lose even more wires. and this time im putting as much stuff into the fuze box as I can, and using relays for the fans.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Well I drove home from work and enjoyed every second of it...Dont have a steering wheel or a seat in my truck any more... QUOTE]

ummm so how did you drive it to work and back without the steering wheel?

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the A/C crap completely out and started clipping wires. So far the most ive done was get rid of that rubber/plastic sleeve around 70% of the wires, that takes a while!

I took 7 pics they are in Sept pics in my superford.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts