Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the 514 in my Bronco right now has 73 model heads on it. I know it's the best choice for performance, but they came with the Bronco. I have recently procurred a set of good 70 model heads, and am preparing to do the swap. The DOVE heads are just bare castings, and I need to know if everything from my D3VE heads will swap over or not. Specifically, I need to know if the valves are the same size between the two years.

The D3VE heads were just rebuild with the motor around March last year, so I know everything is still in good shape. If possible, I would like to swap all the parts over to the D0VE heads without having to take anything back to the machine shop. Don't want the truck down that long.

Thanx for any input that you can offer.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
All same as far as valves..the only difference is the combustion chamber volume and the the fact that the D0VE heads have bolt-down stud rockers, not fulcrum rockers..and you might need to change pushrod length IIRC.

Have both sitting here...would have to double-check on the pushrod issue.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
NO hardened seats in the D0VE heads. That means adding lead substitute with the fuel. I do it every tank full..

Also smaller combustion chambers on the 70 heads, so prob have to run premium fuel, maybe even octane booster. I do both, on every tank of gas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I knew the combustion chamber was smaller, but I didn't realize that the valve seats weren't hardened. I'll have to check with the guy I got the heads from and see if they've been changed. If not, then I gues I'm gonna have to buy stock in lead substitute for awhile.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone tell me if I would need guideplates for the heads? Sorry if it sounds stupid but this is the first time I've assembled a set of heads, and I'm not at all familiar with adjustable valvetrain.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,912 Posts
If not, then I gues I'm gonna have to buy stock in lead substitute for awhile.
Just take them to the machine shop and have hardened seats put in. That's what I did. :shrug Or just run leaded race gas, the higher compression will like it better anyhow. :toothless

And yes, because of the canted valves you have to use guide plates to keep the push rods lined up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts