Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the motor I picked up. It's a 74 351w out of a 74 Galaxie, block is not sure of the heads. The block has been bored .035 over, each head has had one exhaust valve replaced, and looks like new springs. The crank's been turned.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I think you mean 351 Cleveland? Either that or it's not a '74.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
That's a "light-weight" (aka post high-nickel and thicker webbing) 1974 351W block, and 1970 302 cylinder heads. The heads aren't bad to have; I've run them, and they're pretty good compared to later castings. The block is pretty much just another 351W.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
yeah, block actually looks a little ruff. whats up with the lifter bores?

The heads are some of the better stockers from the 70s. Maybe comparable to e7's possibly a little better. Its been a while since i looked at any info on the stock heads

if its been bored .030 over already you might want to look at getting another block. If it needs to be bored much more youll have trouble finding pistions and the cylinder walls will be getting very thin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I take it as not a good block to rebuild? I was told the motor has been sitting for over a year since the machine work was done. It has not yet been rebuilt. No ridge at top of cylinders no sludge anywhere. All the parts I got with it are clean. Just dust and and a little rust from sitting. If not a good block, heads up for grabs.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
well, if its been bored, but never used then it may be ok. but if the block has rust in the bores, etc, it may need more machine work now. plus its kind of hard to trust people. what if he forgot and told you the wrong overbore?

351w blocks go for a dime a dozen. pickup a used one at the junkyard and rebuild it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts