Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally had a chance to start rippin into my van to make it into a 4x4. last night i backed it in the shop and managed to get the front axle out from under it along with the crossmember for the front axle.

here is the crossmember out of the van and the one out of the parts pickup. just have to combine them into one..... sounds easy enough.:duh

Edit: i'll be puttin all the pics from this build on this album.
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/19288/65992

link to the thread when i came up with this idea.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127438

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
So, whats your plan for this van?
Ditto. I was just thinking this weekend why Ive never seen a capable 4x4 van.

There was a mini van thing on Top Truck Challenge a few years back called
the Flexi-Van but mini vans are kinda ,well gay.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it use to be my DD, but now i got a LTD for my DD, so i'm makin the van into a 4x4 to drive around town when the weather is bad. also i use it to pull my car trailer to get parts vehicles and haul stuff around, it would be nice to have 4wheel drive from time to time. its been a "see if it will work" project.. i got it 3 years ago for $75. sense i got it i've put dual rear wheels on it , and put a NP435 in it. and i always thought it would be cool to make it 4wheel drive, so i'm going to try.... its not going to be a wheeling machine, just somthing to have that is 4wheel drive to drive. (now that my pickup is registered as a OHV i can't drive it around town, and i can't be using my fathers pickup all the time)

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:rolleyes: How about editing the link to the SMN album where you'll be ul-ing all the pics into your first post in this thread? :shrug
there are alot of random pictures in that album. some of this and that. maybe i should start a new album just for this swap:doh0715:
EDIT: I just made an album and posted the link...

Steve83 said:
Do you plan to use 1 whole TTB like a Bronco, or are you going to try to build that funky double-half TTB that was used under some vans
i got the whole TTB out of a 84 ford pickup..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Glad to see that you're actually doing this, i'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Looking at those crossmembers, it looks like it'd be pretty easy to move the mounts on the van crossmember or swap the 84 mounts over and then just bolt it back in.

Justin

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They're correct for a 1/2 ton; I'm betting the angle of the pic is just creating a foreshortened view.

I actually thought the pivots were awfully close together and went out to look under my 86, then checked my service manual. On a leaf sprung 4x4 both mounts bolt through the "flat" of the crossmember.

Justin

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well last night all i really didn't get much done. i did get the factory I beam brackets off the van crossmember..

i than started to cut on the pickup crossmember to make it fit onto the van crossmember, ran out of time so i will try to finish tonight(cutting the crossmember).. and take some pictures of what i am doin to it. Basically i have two more cuts to make than i'll tack weld the two together and test fit.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
What about just moving the van mounts closer together, or just putting the f-150 mounts onto the van crossmember in the right spot?

Justin

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about just moving the van mounts closer together, or just putting the f-150 mounts onto the van crossmember in the right spot?

Justin
I looked at doing something like that last night, but if you look at the crossmember from the van the axle pivot points are opposate(sp) of what the TTB is, so i can't repostion the van mounts. as for using the pickup brackets on the van crossmember, the pickup crossmember is a little wider (front to back)than the vans, so i cant put those mounts on the van crossmember. also one of the mounts on the pickup, half of it is part of the crossmember.. i think it will work out ok how i'm thinking about doing it.. it looks like it will end up being about a 3 inch lift over the I-beam front axle..

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cut the crossmember down and fit it to the van crossmember. i just have to tack it in place and test fit it. than take it apart and finish weld and renforce it..

·
Registered
826 Posts
http://www.quigley4x4.com/
Since the 70's.
I like seeing someone do this in their garage at home.
To the op: What made you go with a TTB vs. lifting it to do SAS? Would you have to go too high to keep it a good DD?
Going to freshen the motor while its torn up? What motor is in there?
Id think a van with a TTB under it would be an even bigger bitch to work on than a regular van.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,568 Posts
Right down at your Ford dealer they can be ordered with a Dana 60, factory warranty, brand new. They just take a stop at the Quigley factory out in western PA first.

Adrianspeeder
Funny this should come up: I passed a Quigley E350 M/H on my way home yesterday afternoon. Man, those are sweet!:notworthy

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,568 Posts
cut the crossmember down and fit it to the van crossmember. i just have to tack it in place and test fit it. than take it apart and finish weld and renforce it..
So I saw some rake on the van from your previous thread--was the rear already lifted 3"?

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.quigley4x4.com/
Since the 70's.
I like seeing someone do this in their garage at home.
To the op: What made you go with a TTB vs. lifting it to do SAS? Would you have to go too high to keep it a good DD?
Going to freshen the motor while its torn up? What motor is in there?
Id think a van with a TTB under it would be an even bigger bitch to work on than a regular van.
i chose the TTB because that is what i had layin around the shop. also i think it will ride better for the everyday drivin.. its not going to be a off road rig.. i have a 351 HO i will be puttin in it lator down the road it got a 302 in it right now. the TTB does not take up much more room than the stock axle so workin on it will be about the same.

i got the mock up done this morning...

sits about 4 inches higher than stock.. did a shackle reversal in the rear, it was symple removed a bolt jacked it up flipped the shackle and put the bolt back in..

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got some time to work on it...

i finished welding up the front crossmember.

and i made some radius arm drop brackets.(have to make a gusset for the back of it yet and finish welding them to the frame)

next up is puttin the springs in it and the steering..

1 - 20 of 96 Posts