Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my uncle has a 76 4wd crewcab with the big D44 front end. remember the old school big hubs well this is the one. anyhow when he puts the hubs in the front end makes a noise. with hubs out its fine. he has replaced the hubs with warn premeiums, replaced the outer bearings. could the bearings near the R&P be shot? can those be replaced with out having the diff/gears resetup.

Thanks guys

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
you need to figure out for sure where the noise is coming from... check the U-joints in the axles also. The bearings have to work properly regardless of whether or not the hubs are engaged.

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thats an idea for sure. im not sure how old those are either. i emailed him mentioning what you said. I will let you know what he comes up with.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
kemicalburns said:
ok, thats an idea for sure. im not sure how old those are either. i emailed him mentioning what you said. I will let you know what he comes up with.
i should have been more specific also... I mean the WHEEL bearings have to work properly regardless. Silly me :toothless Also, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and pull the diff cover and inspect the condition of the ring and pinion (as well as gear oil). Good luck, keep us updated.

EDIT: btw, when you say hubs "in or out", do you mean like physically in or out? I was taking that to mean engaged / disengaged... just checking.

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is what my uncle emailed back to me

Can't get noise with hubs locked out and transfer case in. Only when the hubs are in and transfer case can be in 2 or 4 high. thinking it's the inner bearings at the spider gears.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
kemicalburns said:
this is what my uncle emailed back to me

Can't get noise with hubs locked out and transfer case in. Only when the hubs are in and transfer case can be in 2 or 4 high. thinking it's the inner bearings at the spider gears.
OK, let me make sure I understand this correctly.

1) Hubs unlocked, 4x4 not engaged, no noise.
2) Hubs unlocked, 4x4 enagaged, still no noise
3) Hubs locked, noise, no matter what.

This doesn't sound like pinion or carrier bearings. Those bearings will spin with 4x4 engaged regardless of whether or not the hubs are locked, so therefore there should still be noise if they are the culprit (granted the noise would perhaps be more noticable with the load of the tires). I'd check the ubolts on the axles, and possibly the spindle bearings. Can he tell approximately where the noise is coming from? I'm assuming not if hes the one driving...

Then again, the spindle bearings and/or unoints should still make noise even with the hubs unlocked, as they are still turning, just not driving the wheels... weird. Is it a grinding noise or what?

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure what that noise is . i will find out though.

Thanks

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I take it as noise happens only when hubs are locked, regardless of transfer case setting. I guess we are not talking about ttb front end, so there wouldn't be any u-joints to inspect at the axles. Also since there is no noise when the t-case is in 4x4 and hubs aren't locked in, that the ujoints in the front shaft is fine and the transfer case is fine. At first I was thinking maybe the spider gears or the bearings are shot, but then there would be noise even without the hubs locked in, unless they have to be under a load to make the noise. That leaves just one area to inspect and that's the hubs. I think what I would do is put the truck on blocks, lock in the hubs and engage the 4x4, then put it in gear, get out, look and listen.

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the hubs are brand new. he had this problem with old hubs and new hubs.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
waltman said:
...I guess we are not talking about ttb front end, so there wouldn't be any u-joints to inspect at the axles...
TTB has three front U-joints, but solid axle still has two -- one in each shaft at the knuckle. The only extra U-joint in the TTB system is in the passenger side slip shaft ...

Definitely need a description of the noise.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Chuck said:
TTB has three front U-joints, but solid axle still has two -- one in each shaft at the knuckle. The only extra U-joint in the TTB system is in the passenger side slip shaft ...

Definitely need a description of the noise.
:duh :doh0715: Yeah, duh, what the heck was I thinking? Of course it has u-joints, how else would the wheels turn?

Yeah, so like I was saying, if the hubs are ok, I would check the u-joints next and if that was ok then get a peak inside the dif. But based on what you've said I'll bet money it is a u-joint problem, it has to be.

·
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am gonna be going to my uncles tomorrow so i can hear it first hand and report back. the front ujoints are maybe 5yrs old and the truck is something that isnt driven a whole bunch.

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
Dump those warn hubs, the coolest thing on those big hub 44's were the stock hubs :)

Anyway Just pull the diff cover and peak inside.
Jack up the front end, lock the hubs (Tcase in 2wd) and spin some stuff, find the noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts