Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I hope I don't get flamed but here it goes.....so far I've not had a very warm welcome here.

I'm wanting to do an SAS on my 84 F250 and I found a 77 F250 at the junkyard today. It looks like a Dana44RS from what I've read.

What I can't tell is the spring mounting width the same as TTB, and will the rotors and calipers from the TTB work with the 77? I just replaced them on my TTB dana 44 and I'd like to reuse them if possible.

They're asking $100 for the 77 axle if I pull it out. I'm going back to take another look and some pics tomorrow if we don't get too much snow tonight.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Ok, I hope I don't get flamed but here it goes.....so far I've not had a very warm welcome here.

I'm wanting to do an SAS on my 84 F250 and I found a 77 F250 at the junkyard today. It looks like a Dana44RS from what I've read.

What I can't tell is the spring mounting width the same as TTB, and will the rotors and calipers from the TTB work with the 77? I just replaced them on my TTB dana 44 and I'd like to reuse them if possible.

They're asking $100 for the 77 axle if I pull it out. I'm going back to take another look and some pics tomorrow if we don't get too much snow tonight.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Originally I planned to use a 78 F250 as my donor, D44HD front (8lug/leaf) and D60 FF rear. I don't remember if the width was the exact same, but it certainly will work, just like a D60 would. If you're going back tomorrow just measure spring pad width and compare against what you have, but for $100 in decent shape I'd say you're in good shape. Will they let you grab shock mounts, steering etc. as part of cost?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've worked with them in the past and they are really nice guys (brothers). I can probably take just about anything I need. I picked up two nice dash pads today from them for $10 each.

I'm debating taking the matching D60 rear also. I have a Sterling 10.25 that I was going to use in the rear with 4.10's and a limited slip. Not sure what the D60 has in it. The tags are nearly impossible to read.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Yeah, I've worked with them in the past and they are really nice guys (brothers). I can probably take just about anything I need. I picked up two nice dash pads today from them for $10 each.

I'm debating taking the matching D60 rear also. I have a Sterling 10.25 that I was going to use in the rear with 4.10's and a limited slip. Not sure what the D60 has in it. The tags are nearly impossible to read.
The rear is strictly a matter of tire size and how hard you plan to use the truck. A D60 will work fine for tires preferably in the 35-39 range, though that kinda depends on what you are wheeling in (my 60 with 37's sees trails/rocks only, no mud). But that front should be just the ticket for you, sans finding a 60.....like you'll find one for $100...gotta love the 44....speaking of which, I really don't like the 44/10.25 match mutch, the front just can't hold up to the tires the rear can, and the rear is so big and bulky and lacking of ground clearance. it's really a mismatch IMO.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only plan on running maybe 37's tops, and it already has a D60 with 3.54's in it now.

It just doesn't have a posi or anything and it's not a FF. Not that it really matters, this thing won't be seeing too much off roading any way. It'll be mainly a shop truck, and for the winters we have here in Pennsylvania.

I'd love to do a D60 up front, but they are just out of my price range for now.

Maybe later this summer once I sell one of my custom Harleys that I'm building.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
don't quote me on this but i think the frame width changed and so did the spring perches didn't they?(after 79) deffinatly measure everything. and did you ever consider spending a little more coin on the D60 front out of the same gen truck. becuase that is an actual direct bolt in and in stock form you shouldnt have to worry about any breakage with it. But with a D44 your eventually gooing to have to build it a little. Plus strength wise in stock form you D50 ttb is stonger. Just my opinions. either way you go post up some pics.:thumbup

Consider it but disregaurd at the same time i didn't you your part about the dana 60 before

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
spring perches are gonna be narrower on the '77 axle. some guys just move the pass. side perch and weld an "extension" on the drivers side. Or you could make a front crossmember, put in new hangers, and replace the rear hangers.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spring perches are gonna be narrower on the '77 axle. some guys just move the pass. side perch and weld an "extension" on the drivers side. Or you could make a front crossmember, put in new hangers, and replace the rear hangers.
I was going to make a set of extended spring hangers for the front anyway, and move the shackles to the rear. I guess it would be relatively easy to narrow it at the same time.

I can fab just about anything. I've been a machinist/mechanic/fabricator most of my life.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
hey good luck on the swap. Im just finishing one up on my 86 F250.. Spring perches are going to be narrower on the 77 axle, but you can get new ones on ebay for like $20. As far as the 44 front, your stock axle is a tid bit stronger. IMO id wait to do it right and just save for the 60, youll end up building the 44 and still braking it depending how big you go, but then again, thats just my opinion..... good luck otherwise....

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
well, then you got it covered.

IMHO a front crossmember is required when you do a leaf sas, so moving the spring perches in would be the way to go. For some reason it seems less ghetto than trying to fab up an extension for the one perch. If you search around on here theres a few guys that have done similar stuff. Leaf sas isn't as popular as coils so you have to do a little searching. Think about using some chevy 52s or even some ford 2.5 inch 57s up front if your looking for good flex

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more thing, I also have a D50 TTB to go along with the Sterling 10.25

Maybe I'm better off just buying the 6 inch drop brackets that someone has for sale here, and be done with it for now if the D50 is as strong or stronger than the 77 D44.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind that it's rarely going to see any heavy duty wheeling.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
One more thing, I also have a D50 TTB to go along with the Sterling 10.25

Maybe I'm better off just buying the 6 inch drop brackets that someone has for sale here, and be done with it for now if the D50 is as strong or stronger than the 77 D44.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind that it's rarely going to see any heavy duty wheeling.
If you're not going to wheel it where you need better flex and articulation then don't bother with a solid axle.

Is your D50TTB stronger than a D44 solid? What outer shafts are used? so is it stronger? It also has little to choose from with locker options, which is why folks don't build them for wheeling.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you are only going to use the truck as a moderate weekend warrior. Id leave the stock axle, until you realize that NEED an SAS. Untill that point it might be more hassle then what its worth. And if you can get the parts for cheap for the stock axle, then why not....

·
Registered
858 Posts
Buy the axles, wheel your truck with the axles you have now until they break, then swap in the new axles. In the meanwhile build the axles until the are ready to go in. Just my two cents.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,685 Posts
If you're not going to wheel it where you need better flex and articulation then don't bother with a solid axle.

Is your D50TTB stronger than a D44 solid? What outer shafts are used? so is it stronger? It also has little to choose from with locker options, which is why folks don't build them for wheeling.
True but you could put a D44TTB third member in there since itll bolt-in. The ujoints in the D50TTB are all bigger than the D44 counterparts, just not as big as D60 stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts