Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get one for cheap...460 built,extra 460 also..44front,60 rear(4.10's) 35'sDunno about the transmission....But i was wondering if i could swap in the 460 and the axles in my 90 fullsize...or should i try and find another 351w?

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
sure you can swap the 460 in.

SEARCH

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
There's a couple of folks doing a 460 swap, I myself was gonna but it had a cracked head and I said to hell with it and bought a roller motor instead..:shrug

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
is that 77 highboy beat up or something because they are nice trucks. especially if it has the 460 in it. I love my bronco to so dont get me wrong. is the highboy a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

the 460 swap should be no problem, and the axles can be used for your bronco with some work. go to the sas forum and ask those guys for assistance.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
most people refer to a highboy as a 3/4 ton. although its whatever you want it to be because its not a ford term

·
Registered
10 Posts
highboys are 67-77 F2504x4s. They are called this because of the factory arched springs and have narrower frames than they're 77.5-79 brothers. The highboys also use the problematic power-assist steering and a Dana 24 transfer case. NP 203s were also used. 77.5 brought in the reverse-tapered arch springs, integral p/s box, wider frame, NP 205, (np 203) also?, and a 4" lower ride height. Hope this helps.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
again, thats what most people call a highboy. i had one guy swear on his life that his 78 f-150 was a highboy. but its only in his mind. this was my 77 highboy. STOCK SUSPENSION 39.5 Swampers.

·
7,844 Posts
Hey 78f350, i must disagree about the tcases. I owned a 73 highboy it had the np205 tcase, np435 tranny.Now mine didnt come with power steering, and to my knowledge most didnt until 75-76 when they changed the front d44 to an open knuckle design.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
kemicalburns said:
Hey 78f350, i must disagree about the tcases. I owned a 73 highboy it had the np205 tcase, np435 tranny.Now mine didnt come with power steering, and to my knowledge most didnt until 75-76 when they changed the front d44 to an open knuckle design.

I am with ya on that one bro. Mine was a 74 with the 4.9 and it had no power steering..PITA to park anywhere. Had the D60 closed knuckle front that was very heavy duty just maintence heavy, but had to sell because i cracked the frame at the front leaf spring mount and also bought another truck...oh i loved that in cab gas tanks, never had leak :drinkbud

·
7,844 Posts
my highboy had the 300-6 to but that got replaced with a 390. my truck also had 3 tanks. the 18 behind the seat, and a saddle tank on each side that were 20gallons each. after i put the 390 in those things came in handy let me tell ya. boy was it a wheelin sob though. its nick name was the goat because i could climb just about anything with the gear setup it had. i miss that truck..... kinda hehe

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
boy was it a wheelin sob though. its nick name was the goat because i could climb just about anything with the gear setup it had. i miss that truck..... kinda hehe[/QUOTE said:
yea mine had the lowest freakign gears in it stock...didn't want to go over 55 go down the road, she sounded like she was gonna blow...but sure would go any where in four wheel
:toothless

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 77 Highboy came with a NP435 and an NP205 transfer case, It also had a custom 160l gas tank that gave the truck almost a perfect 25% per wheel weight distribution

·
Registered
506 Posts
my 67 has 4.56s, Dana 24, np435. Rap it out in low range and go slower than walking. I love that thing. :thumbup It doesn't belong on the freeway, though.

·
7,844 Posts
4.56's geez thats a lot of gear. what size tires you running under that. when i had my 73 65 mph was rapped out to 3000rpm's easy on 33"tires.

·
Registered
506 Posts
33s :thumbup like I said, not a freeway flier. John Deere tractor would be closer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts