Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 400m, stock carb, all gaskets and vac lines replaced and routed correctly for smog.
Well I took the truck out today like usual to the local recreation park area to go wheeling. I haven't really driven the truck in very cold conditions yet(Im in cali), so when it died at the higher elevation at 30*, maybe it was just a odd thing, no biggy. I restarted it a few times, and decided to turn back.

The whole way back it would go up to a 1/4 mile and then die out. start it back up and it would run a little longer, until finally I would have to floor it to get it running, and go about 100-200ft. I didn't smell fuel either, whereas usually if I pump the pedal like that, I smell fuel strongly. I the exhaust also didn't smell like fuel.

I have a feeling it might be a bad fuel pump not giving it enough fuel. If I floor it and pump the pedal it will go alright for a little ways, and it will also barely stay running in park/neutral with some revs. When it stalls, the battery still has power, and I have checked vac lines, thinking it might just be a vacuum leak. I havn't found any.

any opinions? I will probably grab a pump tomorrow, after checking fuel pressure...just wanted to see if I'm missing something obvious. Thank you fsb!
-Justin

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
could just be a plugged fuel filter. I would start there, if it still does it once it stalls remove the air cleaner and pump the accelerator with your hands and see if it is pumping fuel in the carb if not, it's a good chance your pump is bad.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to see if there was fuel spraying in the carb, but everytime I started it, it wanted to die by the time I got under the hood. I managed to rev it once or twice and I couldn't see very much fuel. I was planning on doing the fuel filter as well, since I'm already under there. I should have just done it all when I replaced the fuel line, my own stupid fault.
-Justin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
plugged filter? pinched line? plugged carb jet? bad fuel pump?
thanks for the ideas!

Also check the fuel tank vent to make sure its not clogged.
I was looking into this because the fuel tank looks to be from another year and there is a tube that is capped off. I was thinking this might be the problem, but it's been like that for the last 8 months or so, kinda weird to just now have problems.

thanks for the ideas guys, I'm workin on it now! :thumbup you guys rock!
-Justin

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I managed to snap off the filter in the carb, break an easy-out inside of that...and noticed the carb is cracked right there as well. I got the fuel pump off, and the threaded fitting looked pretty stripped. looks like I'm in for a trip to the junkyard to grab a carb and a fuel pump outlet line. It's always a great day when you spend money to take a running vehicle and make it non-operational.
-Justin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts