Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FSB folks
I am new to this forum and absolutly new to Ford Broncos. I am living in Germany and want to have an "old" rig out of the year 78/79 and I am currently searching the whole US for good cars (not looking for a perfect car, but at least a good one without need of welding/bodywork) - so if you have good places or an idea where to get a nice Bronco at a good price, let me know.
Please be nice to me, as I am not sure if somebody already asked the same and I missed it in the search function.

My questions is in regards of 2 things:
1st I want to have some bigger tires compared to stock, something like 33 inch on 15in rims - do I need to recalibrate the speedo? I guess this is done through a spindle giving rpm to speedo? Please tell me how to do this.

2nd
single seats - One of the cars I am interested in has a full bench in front, but I like to have single seats - Are there good places to buy those single seats - even in not best condition? I can t find a full seat online, just new vinyl etc.

unfortuanely I can not post links in my first Threads.....

thanks in advance for bringing me up to speed.
Simon

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I swapped my bench for buckets, I found a pretty good set of buckets in a junk yard, my wife and I redid the foam and put new covers. Bolted them in and all set, the Broncos were set up for bench or buckets from the factory. Was a fairly easy swap.

The speedo gear is an esay swap and they are available thru LMC Truck parts. Speedometer is driven from the transfer case on the ones with the NP205 part time transfer case.

Good luck with the Bronco

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Looks OK get as much info as possible, i have had 4 Broncos in my life. Both 1978’s were the best

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for having a view Rocket!
I will get an inspection done today or tomorrow through a certified company. and then I know if I can buy it or not.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome!

Looks like @Rocket answered the bulk of your questions already but I’ll chime in on my take. Agreed with the buckets and speedo. If you’re feeling overwhelmed on the buckets, don’t be. Take some PB blaster, some larger sockets, and a breaker bar, or better yet an impact, and a helper and you’ll be done quick!

Personally I’m a fan of AutoTempest. It should help you narrow down a nice option for a bit cheaper than what you have posted IMO. Broncos appear nearly as nice as what you have posted so you can save some money for the fun stuff! Here’s what I searched:

Best of luck and don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - I heard about that search crawler Auto tempest in some video - but could not remember.
Sure I would more likely pay less than too much, on the other side, if the base is already a big compromise....

the missing single seats is the only real down side I can find, next to the lower doors inside painted black, same for the rear area of the entry.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, I’d definitely agree on getting a good “base”. Especially being out of the Country where parts will be a bit harder to come by. If you’re looking for a “done” project than I would stick with some of what you posted for sure. If you do have a bit of mechanical ability and are looking to do some of the fixes yourself there’s some nice options I noticed.

This one in particular seemed fairly in line with what you were looking at for a bit cheaper. It doesn’t have the bucket seat however. Apparently it’s a one owner which is always nice but I’d definitely verify that. I’d also have it looked over by a local mechanic to see if there’s any particular issues since it still seems mostly original.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The link is not working.
As written before I am not looking for a perfect car, I have some mechanical knowledge, even this is for newer technology - I am not advanced with any carebutor for example, but we can change that.

And by now I have no place to wrech the hell out of the project, hence it can have mimor dings and dents and some thing to finalize, but should not require intensive welding and such, to at least drive it.

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts
Yo,
For now:

Old tire x Old Gear / New Tire = New Gear
OT x OG / NT = NG

Some one told me that 31" tires usually has a 19 tooth gear, and 235/75/15 tires has a 21 tooth gear.

Example:
Old Tire - 29"
Old Gear - 19 tooth
New Tire - 33"
New Gear - ?

235/75/15 = 28.9"

OT OG NT NG
28.9 x 19 = 549.1 / 33 = 16.639 (17 tooth gear)
29 x 19 = 551 / 33 = 16.6969 (17 tooth gear)
31 x 19 = 589 / 33 = 17.848 (18 tooth gear)

If you change tire size and gears (or just gears), you have to go one step further.....

New Gear / Old Ratio x New Ratio = New Gear

NG / OR x NR = NG
17 / 3.55 x 4.56 = 21.8

21 / 33.5" * 28.8" = 18.1
18 / 3.55 * 4.56 = 23.1

Each tooth on the speedo gear adjusts your speedometer reading by approx. 5%. So when you add a tooth, you reduce the speedometer reading by 5%.

If you figure in the old speedo gear size with the new tire size and then adjust for the gear change size by 113%.

19 tooth x 1.13 = 21.47

17 tooth gear - Ford #C3D2-17271C (white)
19 tooth gear - Ford #CODZ-17271B (pink)
20 tooth gear - Ford #C1DZ-17271A (black)
21 tooth gear - Ford #C4OZ-17271A (red)

If you have any comments, suggestions, or see any errors, please let me know..... [email protected]

Last modified on January 30/2001

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for that support.

For now I did not find a suitable or due to price or time reason (either too expensive or sold already)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts