Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of swapping gauges and I need some help. For this body style there are 2 different gauge clusters, the 14 prong and the 18? I think. I need the wire colors/use of wires for the big plug connector(18 prong). Any one have a pic or cite I can get it off?

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gauge conversion

Has any one here taken the gauges out of a ford econline van(early 80s) and put them in a 79 ford? I'm trying this because one, I already have the gauges out of the van and two, its a pain to find the gauges in decent shape for my 79 bronco. The main difference In the gauges is the connector plug on the back. My bronco has the 14 prong and the van gauges has the 18 prong. I'm sure it will if I match the wires up. Would anyone happen to have the wiring diagram for the 18 prong plug?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
the larger plug is for the guage style cluster

the smaller plug is for the idiot light style cluster

color for coolant temp, oil pressure and fuel gauge is the same regardless

if you happened to find a guage cluster with the smaller plug then it is 75 and earlier version and will not work correctly on the newer small plug configuration

80s van cluster used the same larger plug configuration as the 79 larger plug

you will not be able to get the amp guage to work correctly as your small plug is for a light not a induction type guage
you don't have enough wires to do this

all other guages can be made to work but requires sending unit swap to guage style instead of on/off style for lights

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the larger plug is for the guage style cluster

the smaller plug is for the idiot light style cluster

color for coolant temp, oil pressure and fuel gauge is the same regardless

if you happened to find a guage cluster with the smaller plug then it is 75 and earlier version and will not work correctly on the newer small plug configuration

80s van cluster used the same larger plug configuration as the 79 larger plug

you will not be able to get the amp guage to work correctly as your small plug is for a light not a induction type guage
you don't have enough wires to do this

all other guages can be made to work but requires sending unit swap to guage style instead of on/off style for lights
my bronco is a 79 and came stock with the small plug. I'm getting everything swapped over but having 2 issues. A green wire with red stripe, and a brown wire. I'm lost on where these go.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
the green wire with red strip was for the ALT light this will need to have power applied to excite the alternator

when I converted my idiot light bronco I used it to pull through the amp gauge showing discharge until it as running then the amp gauge would show zero

this way I still had a indicator if a problm was present

IIRC the brown wire was to feed the green wire verify that it is a keyed power source

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the green wire with red strip was for the ALT light this will need to have power applied to excite the alternator

when I converted my idiot light bronco I used it to pull through the amp gauge showing discharge until it as running then the amp gauge would show zero

this way I still had a indicator if a problm was present

IIRC the brown wire was to feed the green wire verify that it is a keyed power source
O ok thanks a lot man

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Br is the typical Ford color for parking lights.

Thanks, Mr. f#@$head! :thumbup I'll probably OCR those & add them to some captions so they're searchable. But is there any chance you'd re-upload them to show all the text on each page? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
The green with red stripe wire is going to be code 904. Like Steve the brown wire is for lighting. Where are you getting that color from in the cluster plug? Your cluster lighting wire is going to be code 19.

Br is the typical Ford color for parking lights.

Thanks, Mr. f#@$head! :thumbup I'll probably OCR those & add them to some captions so they're searchable. But is there any chance you'd re-upload them to show all the text on each page? :rolleyes:
My scanner screen is only so big. I don't think it is possible to get the whole page scanned, at least not on my scanner. I suppose I could scan each section of the page individually but I don't have a lot of time to do that right now. When I do I will post it in this thread.

EDIT: Looks like this is what you want. I'll get the rest later. Edit again, finished.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.