Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 351M NP435 NP205
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I had heavy smoke from my heater core which smelled like burning leaves. Below is a picture of an 80's Bronco. Is there a way to clean these areas out without removing the fire wall? Or maybe the 78/79 is totally different? Thanks for the help. My Bronco now stays inside out of the rain so I'm sure all the leaves and debris got nice and dry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I had heavy smoke from my heater core which smelled like burning leaves. Below is a picture of an 80's Bronco. Is there a way to clean these areas out without removing the fire wall? Or maybe the 78/79 is totally different? Thanks for the help. My Bronco now stays inside out of the rain so I'm sure all the leaves and debris got nice and dry.

View attachment 172094
I took my air compressor and blew out the cowl then shop vac the stuff out of the kick panals had to break up the big stuff though

·
Registered
573 Posts
get in there with a vac hose. If you can rig up a 'reducer' and push a 1" or poss smaller hose in there to get way inside

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo Hi,
"Here are the scans of the factory manual for servicing the blower motor, heater core & heater control on 78/79 Bronco's &; 73/39 F-trucks. My standard apology for the size of the scans applies but lower resolutions blur some of the illustrations and I wanted to scan something that guys could print out & work from if need be."

Enjoy.
See Core & Motor Replacement in 78-79 & 73-79 F Series
Source: by Ford via Broncobill78 (Dave)

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Best way to clean this area out is to do it from inside the cab and remove the heater box / AC cover. It's a PIA but the best way to get into the pillar and box to clean everything out. I put a piece of screen between the pillar and where the duct attaches to the pillar to keep the trash out of the box.

·
Premium Member
1978 351M NP435 NP205
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, removing the heater core. Aren't there supposed to be 2 nuts near that blower motor and one over in behind the engine to remove? Maybe they're hid behind the black firewall stuff that was added? Second picture, looking up from passenger floorboard is that rough black stuff melting from the fire or just some kind of old insulation?

·
Premium Member
1978 351M NP435 NP205
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the chance that in order to remove the heater core, I'm going to have to remove the AC Motor and duct work stuff that sits under the cardboard glove box? Most online help vidoes are always "without A/C".

·
Premium Member
1978 351M NP435 NP205
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I decided or learned that you can't remove the heater box without removing the AC portion that sits just behind the dash and under the glovebox. And it seems you can't remove the AC portion as the heater box is in the way. I guess when people have factory AC they just remove the dash. You can see below the cause of the fire in my heater box and then what's left of my heater box after me, a hammer and a chisel took it out.

·
Premium Member
1978 351M NP435 NP205
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I would have been better just to keep using it as is and let it burn out!!! I needed a new AC system anyhow and the aftermarkets didn't use any of the existing system. I decided posting a youtube video of the removal wasn't really helpful to anyone. My advice for next time....JUST PULL THE DASH!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.