Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
80+ leaf springs the same eye to eye and to the pin as 78/79? Broke the 3 lower leafs (amazingly forward of the spring plate, not at the pin :thumbup) yesterday. The main was unbroke, but it's now wrapped upsiode down jsut from getting off the trail back to the trailer. They were just stock springs with an extra second leaf thrown in. Guess 7 years of wrap abuse from those mogs was all they could take. :toothless Also, is the rate and load rating approx the same from 78/79 ans 80+. I can't change static lift too much without redoing the traction bar setup.

Looks like Jeff's has 80+ new stockers pretty cheap (made in USA supposedly). Anyone use these springs?

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
I put 90 yr bronco rear leafs on my 78 OX and everything about them was the same.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
I could have sworn only diff was metric bolt for the bushings vs standard. I used some 76 pickup springs to repack my 94 springs.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reptilikus (Kev) told me he thought the 80+ was one inch longer eye to eye. He thought they would fit, but may change shackle angle.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
the leafs I put on were a 1/2" longer OX now that you say that. I have a pic of both sets next to each other Ill see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could have sworn only diff was metric bolt for the bushings vs standard. I used some 76 pickup springs to repack my 94 springs.
Did that include swapping the main leaf?

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Did it change installed shackle angle much?
I didn't see any change at all. Now the 4" shy jacker rear leafs I have for a 80-96 bronco they are 1 1/2" longer. But when I had them on they didn't change the shackle angel at all from the stock leafs cause they were soo damn stiff,

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Did that include swapping the main leaf?
What I did was left the main leaf on the vehicle, and "wove in" the 76 springs. I did not use the main leaf off the older pack because the bolts wheere stuck in the front bushing.

The 94 only had a 4 leaf pack in it, and I made it into a 7 or 8 if I remember right.

If its a lower spring rate pack, the eye to eye masurment with out wt on it will be less than a heavier spring with no wt on it. Its best to take eye to eye measurements with vehice wt on them.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
I would get those ones the spring rate is 1700lbs OX and the ones they have for a 78/79 are a crazy stiff 2,740lb per spring weight rating.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would get those ones the spring rate is 1700lbs OX and the ones they have for a 78/79 are a crazy stiff 2,740lb per spring weight rating.
I wonder what stock is? I have stock 79 now with one second leaf added (for height mostly) and they are not all that stiff. I did remove the overload spring for flex and will do it again no matter what pack I get. I cerntainly would not want a much softer springs, as my rig bounces around quite a bit on the trails now.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
If you weren't so far away I would just give you me stock 78 leafs. good ? on what the stock spring rate is but for being OEM leafs they do flex pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you weren't so far away I would just give you me stock 78 leafs. good ? on what the stock spring rate is but for being OEM leafs they do flex pretty good.

Appreciatte that. I should just find another set of 78/79's, but getting harder and harder to find them that are not already beat to heck. I've thrown out 15 sets over the years I'm sure.........

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts