Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from broncos for about 10 years. I have owned a 78 custom and a 79 ranger in the past. In the search for better mileage i switched to jeeps. Since jeep doesn't make a vehicle that can carry 4 people, a dog and a full size beer cooler, I'm thinking about puting a new horse in the stable.

it seems like if I go with a Bronco there are basically 3 choices.

78-79 Bronco - big and burly, carburated, shares parts with F series trucks
80-90 bronco - light weight (@ 4500 lbs), carburated, still shares parts with F series, TTB front axle limits flex and strength
91-96 Bronco - Same as 80-90 but usually fuel injected.

I expect that whatever i get will end up with a 4-6" lift and ride on 33's or 35's. It will likely be a daily driver but i want a locker or a spool. Probably not anything selectable due to cost. I want to go 351 or 400 CID, 302's just dont make enough noise. So give me opinions ( and dont tell me i need a 460 big block). I want 78-79 just because i love the old look and i have already owned 2 of them. 80 and newer would let me keep my current winch setup. Fuel injection seems simpler than jetting carbs when living at 5,000' feet but wheeling at 10,000'. But the older I go the more likely i can diagnose and make my own repairs easily, read fewer electronic gizmos to fail on the trail.

I would like to hear opinions so let the Flamefest begin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I loved my '79, but was hard on gas. I got an '88 now and it is not carburated. I think I would perfer the '79 with an EFI motor swap. Even if it was just a 5.0L roller motor.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Fyi.. Fuel Injection came in 87.. :thumbup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts