Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've seen a thread or 2 discussing this. I'm in the same boat, my top is thrashed. Couple details I'm unsure of is rolling vs spraying and the seam sealant. The sealant is flaking out in large pieces on mine. It is harder than seam sealant but maybe just because it's 40 years old?

I just sprayed my tub with monstaliner. I like the texture, it is fairly hard and would be a close enough match to the factory texture. The gun was a additional $25. I have a pos craftsmen 30 gal compressor, it was nearly overwhelmed and was running the entire time I was spraying.

I'll get a couple close up pics of the texture.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,989 Posts
My 1985 topper was painted in 02-04 by the PO. Gloss automotive paint. It looks good to this day.

Roll or brush the seam sealer. That works it into all the crevices better.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah only thing I'm worried about with the rhinoliner is durability. I don't want to have to redo it in a few years time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My neighbor has a spray gun and compressor.
He painted his Mercedes Vito van in winter in his garage.

yes, if painting is done it should stay for 10+ years at least.

first put filler, sand it, the rhino / raptor / mosta liner on it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Painted my top about 27yrs ago. Sanded it by hand so as to not remove to much texture , I don't recall how fine it was sanded. One thing I tried was leaving a lot of sanding dust on the surface and painting over it. Wanting to keep the surface looking factory.
Painted it with acrylic enamel with a touch of flattening agent in it.
It worked well. Still looks fairly good to this day.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as my fibers are partly opened, I think I would need at least one first coat of laminate resin - applied with a role or something

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read through some german Wrangler forums:

to paint GFK (glass fiber) surfaces: they put 2k acryl filler on it, dry it and sand it slightly and then Raptorliner or Bedliner or Monstaliner, or whatever name+liner.....

I think we will try this.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
talked to the painting guy:

we will have to use some spattle to flatten open fiber areas, then filler/primer and afterwards we will put on RAL1001 (beige) Raptorliner, ordered a 4 liter set.

nothing is started yet, except the order for Raptorliner.
Will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
started this off

first a layer of fiber spattle, as well to close the channels where chassis glue was in.

pics to come soon.

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
87 Posts
Let us know how it goes. This is on my list to do soon. My top has some fibers showing so I'd like to protect it and it would be great to have a recent report of what to do and how it went.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sure I will.

glass fiber spatula is complete, roof 1 time covered and today it will be sanded before very fine spatula being applied to flatten the roof finally.

I had some fibers open as well, we machine sanded the roof before applying glass fiber spatula - worked well already.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, fine spatula applied!
Tomorrow we will sand it and verify if we need to adress some spots or areas, basically we just want to close and flatten the structure of the fiber, so it will not be a bondo carrier roof :cool:

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,686 Posts
I'll follow this as well. My top is pretty bad. I'm assuming it was originally black, but it's mostly white as all of the fiberglass is exposed. If you brush your arm up against it by accident you're gonna have an itchy day.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s done guys.
Neighbor called me in yesterday night:

- will post more pictures later, from daylight, but right now it’s raining cats and dogs - partly cows!

5C401FA1-A146-4EBA-AEA6-B9841AF81FC9.jpeg

927027E2-59B2-4425-8C87-86E5131FCA7A.jpeg

it got 2 full layers of Raptorliner - so no need to buy 4.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
769 Posts
talked to the painting guy:

we will have to use some spattle to flatten open fiber areas, then filler/primer and afterwards we will put on RAL1001 (beige) Raptorliner, ordered a 4 liter set.

nothing is started yet, except the order for Raptorliner.
Will keep you posted.
I too used the 4 ltr Raptor Liner kit. Stayed at 20PSI and got a very fine texture finish just like the original.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts