Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding info on what's available for the 78-79. I'm looking for stock height replacement leafs and coils, but might consider 2" lift if it doesn't mess up caster/drivetrain angles. Some of the comments I see regarding stock height leafs is they actually lift the rear 2" over stock height. Not sure if that's 2" over original height or after they've sagged 2"? The only stock replacements I've found have a heavier load capacity though, does that stiffen the ride up considerably or is it ok? I found some BDS 2" lift leafs and they have a free height of 1/4" less than stock replacements, so that either means the stock are actually 2" lift or the stock are softer and sag more than the BDS. The BDS don't have a load capacity and they don't know the thickness of each leaf, I called their technical line and they basically read me the specs that are listed in the description, they were no help. How about Deavers? Do they offer a stock or 2" leaf? Do they make coils as well? I know everyone loves their lifted springs, but how are their stock height, if they even offer them?
I'm kind of lost with the lack of info out there. I want a comfortable ride on 33's, I like stock height, but a little higher would be ok. I'm doing a full body off resto and don't mind doing mods if it will be beneficial. I'd consider an extended radius arm or shackle flip/relocation if it would be beneficial. I don't plan on much offroading, but a few comments I've heard is the original suspension design has poor caster angle and the shackle design isn't great, not sure how much they'd affect stock or near stock height. Any info is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Lmc truck should have stock height front and rear springs. Also check jeffs bronco graveyard. Mine is stock height and it works fine for me. I am running 32 inch tires.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If LMC and the likes do not have what you need available you
Could always find a spring shop and have the old ones rear arched
I went through same thing
Bought new stock leafs from JBG
They were the heavy duty (only thing I could find)
They raised the bronco too much for me.
I almost think I got a 4 inch lift

Took them to a spring shop and told them how much lower I wanted the bronco to sit
Was a little more than I wanted to spend but it worked out
I would have taken them my old original leafs but they had a leaf broken in half
looking back now I would recommend that you talk to a spring shop and see what they can do for you. Then decide what to do

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If LMC and the likes do not have what you need available you
Could always find a spring shop and have the old ones rear arched
I went through same thing
Bought new stock leafs from JBG
They were the heavy duty (only thing I could find)
They raised the bronco too much for me.
I almost think I got a 4 inch lift

Took them to a spring shop and told them how much lower I wanted the bronco to sit
Was a little more than I wanted to spend but it worked out
I would have taken them my old original leafs but they had a leaf broken in half
looking back now I would recommend that you talk to a spring shop and see what they can do for you. Then decide what to do
That sounds like it's going to be my best option. One leaf is broken, but I guess I'm still better off looking into what can be done with my old ones or I'm sure they can make a complete new pack. I'll have to look into cost, but I don't want to end up in the same situation you were in, might be worth a little more up front to just deal with a local shop and they can always fix it if it's not right the first time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does anyone offer a quality 2" over stock suspension? Deaver(I believe) will make a custom rear set for sure. Does anyone make a front set of coils that are 2" over stock, other than Rough Country? If a set of 4" Deaver coils were cut down, would they still be plush springs? @CrazyBRONCOguy

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I used a local shop, Decatur Spring, Decatur Illinois and they replaced them and i am very happy. The rear are a little stiffer.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,203 Posts
Does anyone offer a quality 2" over stock suspension? Deaver(I believe) will make a custom rear set for sure. Does anyone make a front set of coils that are 2" over stock, other than Rough Country? If a set of 4" Deaver coils were cut down, would they still be plush springs? @CrazyBRONCOguy
Yes. The 78/79 coil buckets lend themselves to doing this well too. You would shorten them from the bottom. You could also raise the frame buckets.
The super flex coils run tall, I have cut a set before to even out my own truck, though only went an inch

·
Registered
56 Posts
Stiffer rear springs? Ouch! My factory 78 rear springs are the reason I finally decided to buy a 4" lift. I've got Wild Horses progressive coils for the front and Deaver 10 pack leafs for the rear. I won't install until spring, but I'm anticipating a MUCH softer ride off road. I have some Rancho RS9000 shocks to start out with. I am actually curious to see what the actual lift will be. My 78 Bronco Custom measures 35 3/8" to front fenderwell stock, my son's 78 F-150 measures 40 1/2" with a 6" lift and 35s.

If your Bronco is primarily street driven, then I could see sticking with a really stiff setup, but I don't recall seeing a 2" lift. Most lifts are 4 or 6". Yes, Deaver makes coils as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts