Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 343 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I have been working on my BKO for awhile now and time to start my build thread.
I have gotten a lot from this site, and figured I would share what I have done so maybe help
someone else of give someone else ideas.

My story started in 2014. I wanted a Jeep, but wasn't willing to buy another vehicle being that I
had a 77 F150 on the side of my house that I attempted to restore about 25 years ago and stopped after a
year (I got burned out).

This F150 was my first truck, and my dad had given it to me. He has since passed, so I decided on a 78 - 79
BKO thinking I could use the truck (being it was sentimental to me) so to the searching.

I started looking on Craigslist, Ebay and some others until I found something I could work with. My main objective
was to be rust free, and mostly straight.

and I found it.




it was a 78 and the previous owner had passed, and his son was selling it.. it seemed like destiny.




Seemed very straight, and no rust I could find.




the interior was a mess, but all there:





 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Being that I didn't want to get burnt out (like I did 20 plus years ago) I decided to do this backwards, and started with the interior
for instant gratification.

I started this in June 2014

So I started stripping out the interior and sanding a grinding:










It turned out to have rust, although not bad just mostly surface rust under the rubber floor.













Only one spot in the floor the metal had to be replace, and I'm sure it was from the heater core, on the passenger side floor board.







The rest of the floor that had rust, I just sanded what I could, then coated it with some rust converter, then used a modified epoxy primer over it.



The rust converter turns it into a permanent black coating that is paint-able.







Primed:








Also what I had found out was that when I got the BKO it had a bench seat, but under neath had all the holes for bucket seats, and center console and the holes were siliconed in. I like buckets better
and was original to that so that is what I will go with--later
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
When it comes to color, I just wanted something easy to paint, or repair down the road so I picked a light gray, and dark gray (for both interior and exterior). I also decided to just use
acrylic enamal for the interior (much cheaper than basecoat clearcoat)
and the interior painting begins.

First I had to patch some holes in the dash:





I put metal behind them then welded them in, then ground them down and put filler ... it really turned out nice.

















 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Next up is carpet. So I got the Harber Freight steamer out and went to work. The Steamer helped out
alot





















Got the shift boots on, and kept working it in.





Almost done with the Carpet, and started working on the dash






You really can't tell, but I have 6 or 7 hours in repainting the instrument cluster surround. also eventually the tach was driving me crazy
so it eventually went.





I got the dash pad from LMC. I ordered black and painted it. turns out they were not supposed to be painted or "non-paint-able" and you could
just push it with your finger and it would crack right off (I used plastic and vinyl spray).

I used acrylic lacquer thinner to take it off (the vinyl spray is lacquer based). I also wiped it on the black to
get ALL the mold release off of the dash pad and then repainted it .... this time it took








The new tach mounted and lowered out of the way:


 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Next I started working on the rear quarter side panels, and head liner.
I didn't want to use wood so I found a company that sold PVC in 4X8
sheets and bought a few of those.

I have seen center consuls made from them so I figured it has to be
better than wood just more expensive.

I used the old rear quarter panels as a template and started working on them first:














On to the headliners, I used heat to bend the PVC. It was real easy to work. and I just treated it like wood to cut and shape.
It really worked out well.








I also bullnosed all the PVC edges that you could see, I knew it would give it a nice finished look when I had them upholstered.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
I like what you are doing with the topper. Looks great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Nice work, Keep it up!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like what you are doing with the topper. Looks great.
thank you, I was trying to do something different, and keep it nice and clean

Nice work, Keep it up!
I will, it's turning out great

Second that, nice work! Thanks for the thread and the collection of pics.
I do have tons of picture, I do not plan on doing anything near this extensive myself again so I took lot's of pictures.
and thx for the nice words
 

·
Resident Nice Guy
Joined
·
2,205 Posts
Looks fantastic! I'm looking forward to watching this one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Looking good! Don't get burned out with detail and let the quality go down. Can't wait to see the finished product.

TB
 
1 - 20 of 343 Posts
Top