Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a 78 bronco with a 400 and a c6, what do you want to loko for as trouble spots when considering a buy? any known problem areas?

Ray

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Rusted through floor boards. Not hard to fix on most but if you don't have to deal with it, all the better.

If the oil pressure drops real low when warm and the seller doesn't know that usually happens to most all 400's you can get the price down with the discussion of having to rebuild the motor.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If there isn't any rust, everything else is a blessing to fix. Rust is the worst problem for these old Broncos. Check under the carpet really well, around the rear inner fender wells, the tailgate, and in the corners behind the rear seat. If all you have is surface rust, then you're good to go. If you have holes then you better be good with metal. If you just want something that runs, then just check all the normal leaks and things you'd look for on any 30 year old vehicle.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bronco

went to look at it today heres the deal its a 400 that has expired tags rust holes in both rear fenders, and rust in the lower front fenders, has some rust by the drivers seat on the floor, the floor has ben 1/2 ass repaired and then rhino lined over the top, seems to run ok, i seen a smog pump on the engine, i didnt think these 78's had them, my 77 f250 dont have one. the radiator looks like it might be comming apart at the top tank to core. has a c6 np205, the np205 leaks pretty bad, the rear end leaks at the pinion and the topper is cracked and split out at the mounting point. the rear tailgate window motor dont work, so you cant put the tailgate down. has several other elevtrical issues. do you guys think its worth the 1000 he is asking, i offered him 500 for it but he didnt seem to be to interested.

heres some pics(camera phone sorry)

Ray:drinkbud

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think 500 is more than fair given the amount of work that thing will need. Once you start fixing it and see all the hidden expenses, you'll regret having paid 1k for it.

If I remember correctly, 78's didn't have emissions equipment, 79's did. A 77 F250 wouldn't have had it because it was considered a heavy duty truck, just like the 78 FSB. In 1979, the Broncos magically became light duty trucks and required smog equipment.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gvrw

whats the GVRW for the 79? this one says its manufactured oin 12/77 and the gvrw is 6100 lbs i dont know if thats high enough for no emuissions

Ray

here is the vin

U15CLBA1580

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Its goes by what the truck came with 78 fsb had no smog pump but it had the BASIC smog equipment.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
that 78 is probably cali equipted emissions which had all of the 79 emissions stuff on them.

$500 is to much for that thing unless you were looking for axles and other drivetrain parts.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rusted

its not as rusted as that one on the photobucket!!! geez, u guys think 500 is to much, i think it sux it has the cali emissions. wonder if you can make it 49 state and not get into trouble

ray

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nevermind. I thought you were the guy who picked up a draglink from me today. He was even talking about a 500 dollar 78 bronco he was wanting to buy. But the guy didnt like his offer or somthing. I dunno. Same deal though rust holes above the rear quarters.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slim

hey are you the same slim from the 4x4 network? i think i was at a glacier with you and your bronco when u pulled me off a pile and your yoke broke and blocks split and all that, i thought your name looked framilliar.

ray

Now you got me worried that somone else is trying to get the bronco too. oh no.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
emissions

do you have to have caifornia emissions if you dont live in california on your vehicle? or can you take it off and be federal since i live in alaska

Ray

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
I dont think so, its illegal to remove cats, but I think they literally have to catch you in the act. If you say you bought it that way how are they gonna know??

I know with my 81 it didnt have cats on it, I took it to the exhaust shop with headers and cut off pipe, they cut the rest off and welded me up some new pipe and flows.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bronco

well i doulbt i will buy it... the guy is to big of a dumbass thinking its worth soo much, de is gonna get it imed and sell it for 3000 now he says! what a fool.... anyhow i dont think the vin number tells the emissions people that it comes with cali or fed emissions, so i dont see how they would know if i reduced it down to 48 state emissions and destoryed the stickers under the hood.

ray

1 - 18 of 18 Posts