Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where else to ask this. Trying to sell my 78 Bronco Hardtop, but unsure of how much something like that is worth? It's in perfectly fine shape, has been coated in black Rhino liner, the window seals are good, and the edge seals are all good. I took it off about a year ago to put my Softopper on and haven't had the need to put it back, so I figured I'll get rid of it. Can't find any others for sale, so I'm kind of stuck on how to price it. Is it just one of those "it's worth what someone will pay" kind of deals? As far as I know it could be worth $100-$1000. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Not sure where else to ask this. Trying to sell my 78 Bronco Hardtop, but unsure of how much something like that is worth? It's in perfectly fine shape, has been coated in black Rhino liner, the window seals are good, and the edge seals are all good. I took it off about a year ago to put my Softopper on and haven't had the need to put it back, so I figured I'll get rid of it. Can't find any others for sale, so I'm kind of stuck on how to price it. Is it just one of those "it's worth what someone will pay" kind of deals? As far as I know it could be worth $100-$1000. Appreciate the help.
normal or sliding windows? I've seen them around in okay shape no sliding windows for 200-400$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,429 Posts
In the end it'll probably be a matter of what someone is willing to pay and how bad they need a top.

There was one in the junkyard here that a guy bought for $100, but it was missing the windows, some of the weatherstripping, and a few other things. He just figured why not get it as they don't come along very often. A 78/79 top is probably a little more valuable since it's a two year only deal.

And what @canuckistan97 asked about the windows would probably add value as well. The sliders are sought after.

·
Super Moderator
29,093 Posts
Yo Cave,
Swap, between 78-79 & 80-96; "...NO, the 78-79 has a curved seam line going across the top and the 80-96 seam line is straight..."
Source: by Trent (Picador, a Four Door 79, InfoFord)

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 78 through 79 & has best item condition descriptions such as "WHITE FIBERGLSS,LESS QUARTER GLASS AS-IS", or "FIBERGLASS TOP NOT WRECKED BUT WILL NEED REFINISHED, exterior GOLD no glass AS-IS", etc.
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles incl. Roof, rear, interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay

●○●
➡Our for sale section rules require 75 non-padded posts to buy or sell due to scammers who preyed on our members too many times. Not that I think you are one of them, but we need to apply rules fairly.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
normal or sliding windows? I've seen them around in okay shape no sliding windows for 200-400$

Normal windows. Didn't know the sliders were more sought after.

In the end it'll probably be a matter of what someone is willing to pay and how bad they need a top.

There was one in the junkyard here that a guy bought for $100, but it was missing the windows, some of the weatherstripping, and a few other things. He just figured why not get it as they don't come along very often. A 78/79 top is probably a little more valuable since it's a two year only deal.

And what @canuckistan97 asked about the windows would probably add value as well. The sliders are sought after.
Yeah I was hoping they'd be a little more rare for the '78s. But not having sliders might hurt. Hopefully I can get some bites.

Yo Cave,
Swap, between 78-79 & 80-96; "...NO, the 78-79 has a curved seam line going across the top and the 80-96 seam line is straight..."
Source: by Trent (Picador, a Four Door 79, InfoFord)

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 78 through 79 & has best item condition descriptions such as "WHITE FIBERGLSS,LESS QUARTER GLASS AS-IS", or "FIBERGLASS TOP NOT WRECKED BUT WILL NEED REFINISHED, exterior GOLD no glass AS-IS", etc.
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles incl. Roof, rear, interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay
View attachment 167174 View attachment 167175 View attachment 167177

●○●
➡Our for sale section rules require 75 non-padded posts to buy or sell due to scammers who preyed on our members too many times. Not that I think you are one of them, but we need to apply rules fairly.
Hey totally understand. Appreciate the info. I'll give that site a look over. Maybe I'll get some bites through eBay then.🤞

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had two different 90's tops...... couldn't sell them. Had to give them away.
Geez, that's unfortunate, and a little surprising you couldn't unload them. Here's hoping that because they were only available for two years, it might be in a higher demand. Of course I'm counting on someone out there actually needing one right now. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kinda like what someone said earlier. Depends on the demand in your area. I had a 78 top and could not give it away. Ended up taking it to the dump.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,227 Posts
The slide windows aren't that hard to come by, it's the gaskets that make all the difference.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
What do you mean about the gaskets
The weatherstripping in the tracks isn't being made anymore and all the tops have very brittle weatherstripping by now which lets in water. You have to replicate it with other parts which is a pain in the ass in itself to source

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,429 Posts
That and the gaskets that go around the windows are like $250 on their own.

So, for example, I found a set of sliders in the JY here (not common to find them where I live) and the JY wanted $300 for them. The PO of the Bronco basically siliconed the windows shut (I'm assuming they were leaking) and one of the brackets for opening and closing the windows was missing. All of the gaskets were shot. I would have had to spend $300 for the windows, $250 for the outer gaskets, and then I don't know how much to piece together some gaskets/runners for the sliders themselves. I also wanted to tint the windows in my Bronco, so I factored all that together and just bought a Softopper with tinted windows.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Same here. Only I bought the junk yard sliders. The glass is scratched from a sander. The felt is shot
The wing window pivot is broken
The dog that liked to put her head out of the window of my 78 that has slidersDied before I finished the 79

Ended up putting solid glass back in
only time I opened the glass was for the dog
Solid glass look better to me

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,227 Posts
Dog owner here.

Similar... I bought a set from the junkyard for my 5th gen ('80 - '96) but made the mistake of trusting the lot lizard to pull them for me. Dude had no clue and destroyed the outer gasket to get 'em out. If I ever get the opportunity again, I'll grab the entire top... junk or not, bring it home and deal with 'em myself.

I ended up trading them off to @RicoBronco for parts, as he had recently refurb'd his and needed something or another.

@Doosenberry - where can you even buy the gaskets for the slider window? Only time I ever saw them was complete with a set of sliders and they were around $400 a piece, aftermarket I mentioned earlier. Also... not for 2nd gen.

I did get some pics of the slider gasket, for anyone interested. NOT for 2nd GEN. '80 - '96
1990 Ford Bronco SLIDER GASKET pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

I have 2 2nd gens on the property, both with sliders but they are aged considerably.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts