Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a 1978 Bronco 351M, C6 tranny w/136K miles. It has a 4" lift with 33 X 12.50 tires. Are there any particular problem areas that I should look for? The owner disclosed that the A/C clutch is not working, tilt steering column is loose, and the right latch is not locking on the tailgate. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Take a magnet and check all the quarters for bondo, since it is lifted plan on taking a flash light even if the sun is out and slide under the rear bumper and slowly move all the way to the front bumper. Look for signs of replaced floor pans, leaks of any kind, signs of the diffs being entered, check the rear diff tag to see what gears it has, check the oil pan to see if it has ever been off, look at the rear of all wheel cycl to see if any work or leaks has happend, check to see it is has been lubed reg. grease will sling off of the u jounts as it runs after a lube job, run it up to temp and check tranny fluid, wipe some off on a white paper towel to see the color, smell it, check oil the same way. check the tailgate ket to see if the window works by the key and switch, turn on the lights and cheak all outside lights and inside dash lights, look in the fuse box under the dash to see if it has been monkeyed with, look on the right side front floor board area, under the dash, there is a box looking thing, pry it open and see if it is full of trash like leaves and dirt, roll both windows up and down to check reg. take you finger and check each body panel one by one and compair the oppisite on to see if replaced panels have been installed. Sorry thats about all i can come up with right now, but there are some FSB gurus on here that I am sure have tons more. Good luck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am going to look at a 1978 Bronco 351M, C6 tranny w/136K miles. It has a 4" lift with 33 X 12.50 tires. Are there any particular problem areas that I should look for? The owner disclosed that the A/C clutch is not working, tilt steering column is loose, and the right latch is not locking on the tailgate. Thanks in advance for the help.
The a/c clutch probably isn't working because there's no pressure (freon) in the system.

My tilt column has been loose for years. I think some have rebuilt theirs. Do some searching.

Neither tailgate latch worked on my "street" Bronco when I brought it home. Turns out they were both rusty. Cleaned them off, now they work like new.

Check the rear window to make sure it opens & shuts. And the aformentioned rust issues. Also try to check as many fluids as possible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
what bstang71 said, that last body mount in back is the worst to fix, the piece that goes from side to side seems to be a bad area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have model a's and a lot of older cars/trcks. When I go look at a older vehicle, the main thing I look for is rust. Get under the truck with a light, pull the carpet back, look under the battery, look under the doors/gate,look behind the front fenders, look in front and behind the rear wheels. If there is no rust in those areas, you can feel confident that you are getting a solid body!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ditto all the previous posts. Also carefully inspect the rubber in your front end. If you've got play up there REPLACE ALL BUSHINGS if they are rotted and worn. Once you experience "death wobble" you'll know why. I wouldn't pass on an otherwise good truck over bushings, just be mindful of it if you need to give that area attention in the near future.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Make sure when looking for rust you check both sides of the floor. In my bronco 95% of the rust is on the passenger side. If I had only looked at the driver's side floors I would have thought the floors looked real good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts