Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the deal. My old power steering pump was leaking and i think going out. So I got a Cardone 206244 to swap in. Here is where it gets good:banghead I got the new pump and it did not have the horseshoe spacer with it. So i went to the local scrap yard looking for somthing to use for a spacer. The only solution I found was a entire steering bracket off of a 77 ltd with a 400m/351m. The bracket bolted right up and the pump fit good. Then the shaft was too long and I could not get the belts lined up. So I put grade 8 flat washers under the pump to space it back. I got it all put back together and everything was doing ok when i started to go lock to lock. It had a little whine but nothing bad. I added more fluid to top it off then got back in the truck and it felt like I had lost my power steering. So I took it all back apart to make sure no dirt or something stupid was in the lines, pump, return line, and inlet of steering box. I found nothing! Put it back together again and the same problem. So I think I might have gotten a bad reman pump from cardone. As we all know the 206244 is hard to get. The parts store said they could send it back and have them reman it again:banghead. But if the are this hard to findIi really don't want to reman it then have it poop out in a year and be in the same spot I'm in now. I'm looking for a diffrent sag pump that has a short shaft and will work with my steering box inlet. I will need to replace the high pressure line to match the pump. I have found like 3 different pumps I think might work but I have no clue and the parts store people around here are how do I say it um um yay! So here are some pics of what I've got going on and 3 links to the pumps that might work. Thanks for all the helpful info guys:beer

Pump from a 88 E350
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/207878F.oap?keyword=207878f

Pump from a 78 E250
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/206878.oap?keyword=206878

Pump from a 77 LTD
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/206905.oap?year=1977&make=Ford&model=LTD&vi=1130904&keyword=206905

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This some info that ive got from cardone today regarding pump pressure on part #s 20-7878 and 20-6878

"thank you for your e-mail. These are both the same pressure. When the steering wheel is turn at the position that wheels start to squeal the pressure will be between 1280 - 1550 PSI."

Im thinking the 20-7878 is what i need???????

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
From everything Ive read like 1 in 3 reman pumps is screwed up shitty workmanship. I did the sag swap on my 78 and was not impressed with it at all, my old stock pump worked better. you can buy the horse shoe separate but I cant find the site that sells it right now. Its like 30 bucks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The U shaped bracket came on my saginw pump when I bought it from NAPN. I get silent operation however every once in a while I get a sticky stiff point turning from lock to lock. After its warmed up I do not get this problem. It has done this since I put it on....It does not bother me currently so I am gonna leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Why not use the 90* adapter from your original Saginaw PS pump that you bought on your new set up. Then you won't have to hunt for a HP power steering pump hose to make it all fit? My first question is, where did you buy your PS pump from, I would say that it should have come with the bracket. Where does it say to remove the bracket before turn in? I bought two 206244 pumps on line (Rock Auto and Auto Zone) and both had the bracket installed. My second question is, did you bleed the PS system properly after you changed the pump out? It could be that you have air in the system and this is causing your problem.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
OH and when you go to buy this pump you just ask for the heavy duty pump for a 78/79 bronco or F150. Its the sag pump just for these. So there is no need to find on for a van or LTD.

Like Ziggy said get the air out...

Get the front axle up off the ground and turn it lock to lock a butt load of times and dont do it fast.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
One of your problems might be that you have the wrong P/S bracket. ergo all those washers.

No idea of your budget but PSC & RedHed can surely supply P/S pumps that work. Not cheap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put a van pump 207878 on the truck lastnight. Bolted up awesome and changed the high pressure fitting on the pump to the old one. Had to go get a sag pulley from the scrap yard. Now i have everything hooked up. Ill bleed it today and let you know how its working. And pics

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything seems to be working good. Now the setup is 1977 ford LTD bracket, 1988 E350 pump #207878, and high pressure line from the 1979 bronco. Here are some pics. Thanks Guys:thumbup

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanx for the heads up i think im going to go that set up on my 78 bronco. You couldn't use your original pulley? What did you pull the pulley off of?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I just took a bracket and sag pump from a 77 ltd and used that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes I'm reviving a old thread!

Is there way to source just the 90 degree fitting that came on the 206244 pump?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just curious, but why does everyone perform the so-called "Saginaw upgrade?" I have over 200K on my Bronco and am using the original pump and steering box setup. I have wheeled my whole life, mostly in Arizona with my Dad (who the Bronco belonged to originally) who was a mining engineer, so the truck has done a lot of occupational rock crawling which is pretty tough on the steering. The only things that have worn out have been the steering linkages themselves, never the gear and certainly not the pump.

Just curious why the stock pump needs an upgrade... I've always running 35" tires, so maybe that's it. :scratchhe

Reactions: vrewald

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been wondering that myself because I've had several trucks with the dreaded ford pump and never had a problem , but now I have one with a Saginaw and its making a lot of noise and needs replaced. I guess it could be a coincidence.

·
Registered
257 Posts
There are good pumps and bad pumps on both sides of the equation, but in general, the Saginaw pumps are more reliable and far quieter. My factory '79 pump was a whiny little bitch, but it always turned the 35" tires. I bought a used Saginaw setup for a big block on eBay when I swapped the motor, no idea what it came from or how many miles were on it. It has performed flawlessly and silently for 9 years and counting.

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
The factory pump pump in my Bronco is just as Lance said, "a whiney little bitch" but it turns the 37" tires with ease. I wouldn't run hydroboost with it but the steering is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I can tell you that I added a Saginaw using brackets from a Lincoln that came with a 400 and although I have not hit the highway yet, the steering with hydro is smooth as butter and as quiet as can be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts