Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
U-Joints for the '79 are bigger then '78, so the shafts are not interchangable. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells new drive shafts for about $300.00, otherwise, start checking the junkyards.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You can buy u-joints that are designed to put the 78 shaft in the 79 or vise versa. The u-joint has 2 different size ends on it. 2-1/2" for the 78 and 2-3/4" for the 79.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are rear shafts supposed to have a cv from the factory. My 79 SB truck has a cv front and rear on stock suspension, i'm not complaining, just curious?

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
You can buy u-joints that are designed to put the 78 shaft in the 79 or vise versa. The u-joint has 2 different size ends on it. 2-1/2" for the 78 and 2-3/4" for the 79.
so how do you get one of those to work in a CV assembly?

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
Mine didn't on the rear of my F150 and the 78 Bronco I had didn't have them front or rear. It all depends on the tranny/tcase combo.;)
f150's have a non cv rear.

broncos all had them front and rear in 78/79. if you got one that does not have them some one swapped them out for non cv shafts.

·
Retired
16,018 Posts
f150's have a non cv rear.

broncos all had them front and rear in 78/79. if you got one that does not have them some one swapped them out for non cv shafts.
Yep had a 78 with none front or rear. Someone may have swapped the Bronco's but I knew the F150 came factory the way it was. I knew the original owner (brother inlaws father) and I am the 2nd owner of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.