Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some time to do it now that school's out, pulled the 400M replaced all the seals with new ones and reinforced them with Perma Tex to assure that it would never leak oil again. While I was at it I thought why not give the old motor what it deserves, a good coat of Ford blue paint rattle can of course! Here are the pics.

Bronco after the motor came out

The lower valve cover bolt was only hand tightened, no wonder why it leaked!

Look at that oil pan! Just coated in oil and dirt.

The "Power By Ford" stamped into the valve cover is barely visible.

Now sealed up, scrubbed and painted a day later

One of my Chevy driving friends said that it needed chrome valve covers, over my dead body will there ever be chrome valve covers in any 4x4 that I own! I love the nice blue "Power By Ford" ones better.

Now under the hood and running 2 days later, new straight pipe exhaust, headers gone in favor of manifolds whoever thinks that headers on a four wheel drive are cool needs to be slapped :smilie_slap, they hung down 4 inches cannibalizing any decent ground clearance.

Overall it took 52 hours to complete as I'm slow and want to make sure everything is right. It is now roadworthy and a daily driver again.:thumbup

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I wont ask if you threw a new timing chain in it ... That motor looks REALLY nice !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wont ask if you threw a new timing chain in it ... That motor looks REALLY nice !
Yes I did, I also replaced the flywheel and the starter gear. The timing chain had a lot of slop in it. The flywheel and starter gear were chewed up pretty bad also I was amazed it never screeched on start up.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
Didja clean the engine bay while you had the engine out?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didja clean the engine bay while you had the engine out?
Yes all that grease in there was a fire hazard, sprayed it with 2 cans of engine degrease and then towed it to the car wash and blasted it all out, I also rattle can painted parts of it black.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Looking good! :thumbup I'm not a fan of ford blue, but none the less...

Did it have long tube headers on by chance? Because shorty headers basically are about the same size as stock but USUALLY flow better...;)

KC

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good! :thumbup I'm not a fan of ford blue, but none the less...

Did it have long tube headers on by chance? Because shorty headers basically are about the same size as stock but USUALLY flow better...;)

KC
They were long tube and hung down about 4" cannibalizing any good ground clearance, oh and they sucked to get off! At least the manifolds could be bolted on the engine before we put it back in. I wish I took pictures before we put it back in because we painted everything else black.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good job. You are the guy with grand dad's bronco, right? Good to see you taking care of it.
Yep that old Bronco will always be a family heirloom. It is the fitting tribute to my grandpa because he was a Ford enthusiast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts