Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Help 78 Bronco

I found a 78 that the owner had replaced a bunch of parts including the engine. Problem is his wife became very ill and it has sat for about 2 years. He is asking $800 for it. The body has rust but a new radiator, 43,000 on the new engine, new brakes, new driveshaft and many more items. Interior is in great condition. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Shoot...I'd go for it, I've had rigs come to life after sitting for 7 years. Hell, I've had rigs start right up and drive them home with a fresh battery after sitting for 3 years. $800 sounds like a pretty good price depending on the extent of the 'some rust'. The biggest issue I'd worry about is what's in the gas tank, is it solidified, sludgy, etc. Worst case scenario, drop the tank and have it cleaned for $100 or less...or if you don't live too far away, run a hose to a jerry can (not necessarily safe, but doable).

·
Registered
304 Posts
x 2 on what he said. the one i just picked up for $500 sat for 10 years. got it running off of a gas can in about an hour or so. i towed it home, but at least i knew it ran before i handed over any cash. post some pics if you can.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I paid $750.00 for mine. Zero rust and a bad engine. I rather do engine work then rust work.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just went to look at it again. I bypassed the fuel line from the tank and used some new fuel, a couple of cranks and it started up and ran fine. What kind of probelms and the costs associated with them could I be looking at for an engine that has been sitting that long? Sorry no pics I try to post some later.

·
Registered
304 Posts
2 years isn't very long. drain and clean the tank out, and do a general tune up. plugs wires cap rotor air and fuel filters. and change whatever fluids that look like they need changed. maybe buy a carb rebuild kit just for the hell of it. that was the only real problem mine had. all together i'd say i spent 100-150 on various tune-up parts, but being as yours only sat for 2 years, you might be able to pass on some of the stuff i did and save some cash

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree 800 bucks for a newish motor that started with some fuel, Id drain the fuel tank, do a full blown tuneup including all filters (fuel, air, tranny) and do plugs and wires. Change all the fluids and I bet youre golden. Worst case youre in the truck for 1100-1200 bucks. Thats a steal for that bronco in that condition.

Do yourself a favor and check all the rust spots though, cuz rust is hard to prevent and even harder to stop. So be cautious with that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts