Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 845 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would say that is a after market cooler there. I can see rubber hose with hose clamps going into it. Heres a pics of mine you can see the difference and the hard lines going to it...

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Today's run-down...

First, we'll start with the @#%$%Q!!* moment of the morning. One of these things is not like the other:

Once I got the lugs & drum off, I found one of the reasons the brake pedal drops to the floor:

Check out the quantity of dust that came off with the drum:

Broken adjuster cable:

Decided to pull the axle to inspect for damage... found there's almost NO fluid in there.

I don't like what I found:

The bearing looks cracked to me.

Fortunately, I had that extra 9" rear end in the back yard, so I dismantled the brakes and used those instead of having to buy more. (Just a band-aid... the damage to the axle is significant enough that I'm probably going to swipe the whole rear suspension from the '79 when I do the lift swap.) Don't think you can see it in this photo, but the inside of the axle housing is badly scored:

Also figured out WHY there's no fluid in there... the breather tube has been destroyed by the remainder of the exhaust system that the PO failed to remove. The pipe was resting on the breather line and the right rear brake line. GENIUS! :toothless

Re-assembled the axle & brakes using the shoes from the spare axle. Put the wheel on with the 4 remaining lugs and tested the brakes. I'm still not content with how they feel but just repairing that one corner made a marked difference. Gonna do the other side this week. Wish I could stay home and just play.

Snuck in a shot of the VIN tag:

No pics of this, but I yanked out the old seats that somebody installed and used the shop vac to get 80% of the CRAP that accumulated in there over the past decade.

So.

Much.

Dog.

Hair.

:barf

Pulled the center console and shop vac'ed that, too. I'm surprised at how well the carpet has held up... which leads me to the fact that I didn't find the build sheet under the driver's seat. It may still be under the center console area or the floor pan, but the carpet is adhered so well that I don't want to rip this carpet out until I rhino line it & get the new carpet. Hope to find that.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I would say that is a after market cooler there. I can see rubber hose with hose clamps going into it. Heres a pics of mine you can see the difference and the hard lines going to it...
Those aren't hose clamps. They're rubber-grommeted mounting brackets, but I totally see the difference in the coolers. I'll snag a couple of shots of the lines at the bottom of the cooler tomorrow.

Thanks for posting the pic.:drinkbud

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
Here are those Pics of mine. First is the trailer brake module. Second is the trailer hitch. Third is the engine spec sticker from under hood. Fourth is a photo of motor. Last is the aux. cooler. The receipts I have in the center consule put this Bronco as a decendant from Nevada. That would probable explain the lack of serious rust issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those aren't hose clamps. They're rubber-grommeted mounting brackets, but I totally see the difference in the coolers. I'll snag a couple of shots of the lines at the bottom of the cooler tomorrow.

At the buttom of the cooler you can clearly see the rubber hose and hose clamps going to the cooler. I'm not talking about the clamps holding it to the truck...:beer

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Damn look at them rear brake dums, I just changed mine last weekend... what a mess.

I rebuilt them with the kit from JBG

Build looks good!
Yours looked like mine... a nasty mess. The kit looks great. How much was it? I hate drum brakes (like... a lot) so I want to go to the disc brake conversion kit but it's really expensive. I heard there's a way to swap in discs from an older Lincoln or T-bird but haven't check the Tech Forum on how to do that yet.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I bought mine for around $140 off bronco graveyard. Great kit too.
That's fair for the rebuild kit. I just looked it up and the conversion kit is $300 and you still have to buy the calipers from a 79-85 El Dorado, Riviera, or Tornado along with the miscellaneous parts for the linkage. Then you have to move your shock mount inboard 3/4". And THEN you have to supply your own brake hoses. I checked RockAuto.com on the calipers and they're a little over $100/pair + shipping.

By the time you're finished, that's a $500 conversion. Not worth it to me. I don't hate drum brakes that much.

·
Premium Member
12,539 Posts
Funny thing on that Trailer Special deal, too... it has no hitch. Just found that amusing.
Trailer Specials did not come with a hitch.

Yeah, I guess it could be. I'm waiting for Ranger429 to poke his head in here and tell me what would actually qualify it as a Trailer Special. I'm thinking somebody found a badge and slapped it on the back, but maybe you're right.
The badge tells you it is a T/S. I highly doubt anyone is going to go thru the trouble to mount the badge.

Thank you! I'm all kinds of stoked about it. So what makes it a Trailer Special? Upgraded brakes? Tow hitch (now gone)?
Posted before: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106384

Trailer Special:

Now according to my book the 1st year for the Trailer Special was 79. I have seen a few members here that have 78 Trailer Special's. There were 2 categories for the Trailer Special.

Light duty trailer towing package:
Good for towing up to 2,000lbs.
This package included a heavy duty radiator, external oil cooler, seven lead trailer harness, heavy duty turn signal flasher and the Trailer Special emblem on the T-gate.

Heavy duty trailer towing package:
Good for towing up to 6,000lbs.
This package included a heavy duty alternator,heavy duty battery, HD rear shocks, bigger radiator, rear sway bar, swing out recreational mirrors, amp meter, oil pressure gauge, HD front springs, external oil cooler and the Trailer Special emblem on the T-gate.

So you say there might be a build sheet under carpet. Might just have to look for that on #2. Looks to have 95% oe on it, including the trailer brake setup beside hood latch and possibly an oe trailer hitch. The two in the driveway looks good. Been there done that :rockon.
The trailer brake controller is not OE. No trailer brake controller's came on a Bronco from Ford.

Speedy's cooler is aftermarket, 78 7.0 has a stock cooler

41 - 60 of 845 Posts