Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 845 Posts

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thanks dagamore and hfd315. I'm still pleasantly surprised that they turned out as well as they did. Angel told me the name of the media they used but I already forgot... it was something like "green emerald." If anybody cares to know exactly what it is, I will ask. Still no paint or clear coat applied but I'll post when I get that done.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It's windy as hell here today so still no progress on the header paint. Went to VatoZone and picked up some brake shoes and new adjusters. Going back later tonight or tomorrow morning to order the header gaskets, then going again on Monday to order the hardware kit and then on Tuesday for the intake manifold gasket. I get more points by splitting the transactions up. (Their program requires 6 hrs between $20 purchases to get a point.)

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
It's windy as hell here today so still no progress on the header paint. Went to VatoZone and picked up some brake shoes and new adjusters. Going back later tonight or tomorrow morning to order the header gaskets, then going again on Monday to order the hardware kit and then on Tuesday for the intake manifold gasket. I get more points by splitting the transactions up. (Their program requires 6 hrs between $20 purchases to get a point.)
I was thinking why don't you just get it all in one shot, then I finished reading. I used the aluminum one back in HS on a bowtie I owned no issues. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Rick

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Bought new header gaskets, intake manifold gasket, rear drum brake kit with auto-adjusters & hardware this weekend. Still need to figure out what the bloody hell is going on with my master cylinder. The chambers are "reversed"... the front chamber is the small one and the back chamber is the big one. Can't find a gasket for the damn thing at VatoZone or O'Reilly's. They pull up the same part number whether it's a '78 or '79 Bronco, F-150 or F-350 but that part number does not fit.

Anybody else have an odd brake master cylinder design? Wonder if somebody dropped in a GM deal or something 'cause I sure don't recognize it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine has the same as you described, small one on the front and bigger one towards the back.
Ive replaced mine once or twice but I bought both the booster and master cylinder and didnt have any issues, thats how it came from oriellys

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Got the first couple of shots of primer curing on the headers right now, so I started reading a bit about upgrading my garbage braking system. I've heard repeatedly that the EASIEST upgrades are the F350 booster and rear wheel cylinders, but they get mild- to modest improvements. I've also read repeatedly that hydroboost is the greatest thing to ever be applied to Bronco braking system. Thanks to a post from OX1 on another thread, I'm looking at Cardone Part # 50-4400. It will require some mods to the pedal linkage, new MC mounting brackets and an adjustable proportioning valve but I think that might work. That part number is for a 1993 F350 which is both a 2-diaphragm system AND the same diameter as the original, so I'm looking at using this one. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chromo says:

That master cylinder is not backwards.

The front reservoir is for the rear brake cylinders, and the larger rear reservoir is for the front calipers.
Disc brake calipers require more volume, thus the need for a larger reservoir. The rear can supply a larger supply for this, and since the front reservoir is smaller, it still supplies enopugh volume for the small rear cylinders.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks, Chromo. I don't mean my chambers are literally backwards. What I mean is that all of the gaskets I find at VatoZone or O'Reilly's are ass backwards. I can't find a gasket for this.

--

So, I got the paint on the headers today.

Primed:

Painted:

Also started cleaning up a C-6 trans pan that I had laying on the garage floor. Going to get it all prepped, then hit it with some paint and replace the pan and gasket (and filter, while I'm in there) that are on the Bronco today. The truck's going to be black and red, so I'll be buying or painting many of the components accordingly. Pics to follow when I have time to do some more on it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ugg, dog hair, you can never get rid of that shit...
That's a fact. Still trying to get it out of my truck from the P.O.'s dogs.

Finally got a chance to go back through this whole thread, Charlie. Great read, I am subscribed, now.

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Welcome aboard, Jereme, and thanks for the compliment. I'll jump on that intake coating & maybe the carb if it will take. I really don't want to spend a ton on this engine, though... I'm still going to dump it for the 6BT. Since that's at least a year down the road, I can see putting a little bit into this. I'll put my hat in the ring for that coating quote if it will take.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wild stripes and bumperetts, cool. Mine has quad front shocks, why. It is a Ranger xlt, does that have anything to do with it?

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Glad you like the stripes. I sure don't. :histerica The pictures make them look more subtle than they are... the yellow-green one is really almost fluorescent. :barf

The quad-shock setup was an option and is not directly tied to it being an XLT. I thought it was because this one's a Trailer Special, but it turns out they were just an available factory option, IIRC.

By the way -- saw your pic on the "Post a Picture of your Bronco" thread. Nice! Those 38.5s look huge. Is that still a D44 under there? And wtf is up with the hood scoop? Is it functional?

·
Certified Asshat
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Quick Update...

Got the F-350 booster/MC combo and the F-350 rear cylinders from O'Reilly's this morning.

Came home this afternoon and had a total of 45 minutes to work on the Bronco but I did manage to take a few pics of the current Mickey Mouse setup, remove the MC and the four base bolts on the booster, too. All that's still hanging on is the pedal-to-piston bolt which will have to come off tomorrow.

Notice anything odd about the current brake plumbing, MC, etc.? I found about a half dozen jewels this afternoon. Let's just say I need to buy a flaring tool, a tubing bender and some new nuts. I also need a retainer clip for the transmission kickdown rod. Anybody got a spare?

Pics:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Where's the extra line go to from that block in the back? That's the only difference it has. Does it still have the stock proportion valve between the frame?

81 - 100 of 845 Posts