Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after recently inheriting this bad boy 78 from my "adopted parents" (my old neighbors),
I have spent the last couple weeks getting it started up and running. Cranked right up actually after an oil change and a few gallons of gas in a leaky gas tank.

Finally after getting a few misc. things fixed up so that I could actually take it for a spin, I have found that the transmission is SHOT!

Now, my question is what is best for a fix?
-Find a tranny off someone and take their word that it is good.
-Find a later model tranny and rebuild and swap that out.
-or simply just have the existing tranny rebuilt.

What is the best way to go on this?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Order the DVD from Bad Shoe & do it yourself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agreed. Rebuild kits only cost around $150.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i hate transmissions...i hate rebuilding transmissions...i personally would take it out and use it as a core against a rebuilt one with a warranty...but thats me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The C6 in my '79 Bronco hasn't crapped out yet, but I would love to rebuild it if I could find someone I trusted to do a great job. It's been 10 years and I'm still looking for someone.

The C6 is bulletproof, however and worthy of a rebuild. I've got a B&M Street/Strip C6 in my old Mustang and it's definitely a nice piece. The 4x4 version of the transmission isn't terribly common, though. Maybe contact B&M, Lentech, Art Carr, TCI, or some other similar company and see what they can offer.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Rebuild it yourself. Haynes has a real good manual on rebuilding Ford transmissions, breaks it down "Barney Style" with easy to follow directions and pictures. C6 is one of the easiest trannys to rebuild with minimal tools.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya, I'm leaning towards rebuilding. I would love to do it myself, but I just moved into an apartment recently and just don't have a good place to work.
Anyone had a transmission rebuilt for them? whats a decent estimate as to cost?

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Before you condemn the transmission, maybe you should define "SHOT". Have you checked/changed the fluid? Did it sit long without being driven? It could just be gummed up and need some clean fluid and road time to free it up if it's behaving strangely.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has been sitting for atleast 5 years.
Fluid and filter have both been changed.
When you put it in gear you have to pump the gas a couple of times before it will go. Once the truck revs up to shift into second gear it wont go. If you get off the gas it falls out of gear and then you have to pump the gas a few times for it to jump up into second. I imagine it could be gummed up, but the seal also leaks up near the bellhousing.
Either way it has gone in the shop today. Hopefully it wont take long to hear back from them.

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would say the same thing about Broader Performance. Top notch shop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
I was quoted $1300 to have the trans pulled, rebuilt and reinstalled.
SCREWWWW THAT!
I decided to rebuild myself, but kept looking around to see if I could find a decent used one. LUCKY ME! I found one in San Antonio, about 2 hours from me that a transmission shop had extra and was trying to sell for what I though was a good price considering it would have a warranty.
Anyways, the tranny wasn't 4WD, but they guys were able to swap the output shafts and tail housing and tada! Well it saved my a bit of a headache anyways, so now I can't wait to get this thing installed.

Here is what came out (I had my lemmings do a lot of clean up on it already):

And here is what will be going in:

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I suggest you put in an in line filter and a cooler on the new tranny while you're doing all this work.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Agreed on the filter and cooler. Debris and heat are the two biggest killers of automatics. Keep it cool and clean!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts